running to fast?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:48 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
If he is rotating the pole fast enough to be hitting the bar on the way up with the standards all the way back, lowering his grip may make the pole bend less, but it will just increase pole rotation even more and he won't have a chance.

That would depend if the pole cord is reduced or increased. Let say if your holding at 11'7" on the 12 foot pole and you bend it down to a lets say 10'2" pole cord. Now if you lower your hand hold to lets say 11'4" and it only bends down to a 10'4" pole cord than pole rotation would be reduced slightly giving you more time.

If your overbending (meaning reducing the pole cord to far and causing the pole to rotate to easily) the pole no matter where your holding on it then you should move up and the 150 would be no problem.

Lowering your hand hold would only increase pole rotation if the bend remains the same thus the reduction in the pole cord remains consistent.

As an example with the case above. 11'7" hand hold bending down the a 10'2. if you lowered to a 11'4" hand hold, but it bent down to a 9'11" pole cord then it would over rotate as well and the lower hand grip would be pointless.
Last edited by ADTF Academy on Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:31 pm

ADTF Academy wrote:If your overbending the pole no matter where your holding on it then you should move up and the 150 would be no problem.

If you are overbending the pole and are landing shallow, you should drop your grip, not move up a pole :confused:

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:23 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
ADTF Academy wrote:If your overbending the pole no matter where your holding on it then you should move up and the 150 would be no problem.

If you are overbending the pole and are landing shallow, you should drop your grip, not move up a pole :confused:

LOL I thought you said lowering your grip would cause the pole to rotate to quickly into the pits. Now you say lower your grip. HMMMM

Overbending and landing shallow is way different than overbending and blowing through. My comment of lowering the grip on the softer pole would either stiffen it up or like Becca put in the first place cause it to rotate quicker and thus be even smaller of a pole than before.

If lowering your grip causes you to rotate quicker than when you where one hand hold higher than moving to the stiffer pole is the only solution.

However, if your overbending the pole and Landing shallow thats a very different story. If you land shallow you need to keep lowering your grip until your safe.

I am confused myself now. LOL

I will just say what others did GRIP IT AND RIP IT.

WOW what a great sport!!!!! You can use grip it and rip it in the same sentence. How this helps I am not sure its late.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”