Vaulters Get A Lift From Gymnastics

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Vaulters Get A Lift From Gymnastics

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:03 am

PVPower member Keulpv is quoted in here :)

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... t1217.html

Vaulters get a lift from gymnastics

Training helps Athens hopefuls

Jeff Metcalfe
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 17, 2003 12:00 AM

The kids are playing in the gym.

That's what it feels like to reigning Olympic champion Stacy Dragila when she and her training partners from Sky Athletics exchange pole vaults for gymnastics.

They run and laugh and do handstands on the floor and giant swings on high bar. They pretend to clear the pole vault bar on trampoline. They work the parallel bars for strength. There's even some "Can you top this?" - these are elite athletes, after all.

The weekly cross-training at Desert Devils National Training Center in Mesa is lighthearted in spirit but serious in intent. If Dragila is to repeat at the 2004 Athens Olympics, she must defeat three Russians - two of them former gymnasts - ahead of her in international track federation rankings.

The balance, strength and speed fundamental to gymnastics hone skills pole vaulters need. Sky Athletics coach Greg Hull gives gymnastics as much weight as running and technique in pole vault training.

"It's difficult to get access to this kind of equipment," Hull said. "It requires you to go to another site, so it becomes inconvenient and a low priority. It's not something we do a very good job of in this country."

Gymnastics training for pole vaulters is still the exception in the United States. Former Arizona State men's gymnastics coach Don Robinson allowed Hull and other pole vaulters into his gym three decades ago.

"I learned an immense amount from him," said Hull, who also trains 2000 Olympic men's pole vault champion Nick Hysong of Phoenix.

Hysong is recovering from a knee injury and not yet in the gym. Former NCAA top-three finishers Adam Keul and Brian DaCunha, Dason Phelps and April Steiner are doing gymnastics with Dragila.

"The Europeans have it totally right," in introducing athletics to children through gymnastics, said Keul, who like Dragila already is qualified for the U.S. Olympic Track Trials in July. "That's why a country like Germany that has half as many people as we do can produce the same amount of pole vaulters as we do and the same amount of good gymnasts. Their kids aren't running around playing football and watching football on TV. They're out there doing gymnastics and running."

Svetlana Feofanova, this year's World Indoor and Outdoor champion, was a gymnast for 11 years and an alternate to the 1996 Russian Olympic team. Yelena Isinbayeva, who broke Dragila's world outdoor record by jumping 15 feet, 9 3/4 inches in July, was a gymnast at the level of most U.S. collegiate gymnasts.

Dragila believes gymnastics allowed the Russians to fast-forward in pole vault, just as gymnastics can accelerate a switch into diving. Two-time U.S. Olympic gymnast Amy Chow, now a medical student at Stanford, recently took up pole vault and quickly zoomed to 12 feet 6 inches.

"It's weird to explain, but when I vault I can slow things down and see things, but if I wasn't doing the work in the gym it might happen too fast," said Dragila, who moved to the Valley in March. "You're using muscles in a different way, and it's just making the whole core that much stronger."

Former gymnasts "might not run as smooth as a sprinter," Dragila said. "You can bend your elbow, you can bend your knee, you don't have to point your toe. The sprint mechanics are what they lack. But they're not afraid to take off, because that's fun for them."

Like thousands of American girls, Dragila, 32, took up gymnastics after Mary Lou Retton's perfect vault into Olympic legend in 1984.

"I was scared to get upside down," she said. "I was so afraid to jump and not know how to land safely. You kind of need to know where you are without freaking out."

Joy Umenhofer-Nielsen, wife of Dragila's former coach, is the national team coordinator for U.S. Trampoline and Tumbling. She helped Dragila learn spatial awareness and strengthen her upper body when Dragila took up pole vaulting in 1994.

By '97, Dragila was the World Indoor champion. Her accomplishments now include 14 national titles, two world outdoor titles and the first Olympic women's pole vault gold medal.

Keul is in his second year with Sky Athletics. His grandfather was a gymnastics coach in Texas.

"I don't even remember when I started, because it's been in my family forever," the 24-year-old said. "When I was a kid, I lived on the trampoline, and that has a lot to do with my pole vault success."

Keul is pushing close to a jump of 19 feet and, like Dragila, he embraces gymnastics for the demons it helps keep at bay.

"I don't have the 17-year-old fearlessness I used to, and that used to be a big part of my vault," he said. "I challenge myself from a mental standpoint to get on the trampoline and say, 'You know what? I'm going to throw a double front off this.'

"It keeps me on the edge, and then when I pole vault I know I can push myself a little further."

keulpv
PV Fan

Unread postby keulpv » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:20 pm

Thanks for finding this Becca. None of us have a subscription to the paper, so we havent been able to see it yet. Now I wonder if they got any good pictures...

Greece04
PV Newbie

Vaulters get a lift from gymnastics

Unread postby Greece04 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:27 pm

My daughter was an elite gymnast before starting to pole vault, and it definitely helped her. She first picked up a pole in January, 2002 and won her 5A district in April and was 3rd at Regionals a couple of weeks later. By her second season, she was the first Texas girl over 12' and was the 5A State Champion, Nike Indoor All American, Great Southwest Classic Champion, Adidas Outdoor All American and Texas State record holder (12' 10").

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:52 pm

keulpv wrote:Thanks for finding this Becca. None of us have a subscription to the paper, so we havent been able to see it yet. Now I wonder if they got any good pictures...

You're welcome :) You'll have to print out a copy and take it to practice if you guys can't find it in the paper!

keulpv
PV Fan

Unread postby keulpv » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:46 pm

I went and bought one. There is a really dorky picture of me and Dason while Stacy is on the trampoline. I wonder how they can take 50 pictures but still use the one where I look like a 1984 football coach. Oh well

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:25 pm

Gymnastics is a very important part of being a pole vaulter. The skills that you learn in the gym cannot be learned anywhere else. If anyone is considering gymnastics as part of thier regular training regimate then stop considering and start doing, and watch your vaults become better than ever. Plus it is more like going to a playground for adults than going to practice. Greg Hull is not the only elite coach that sends his athletes to gym. There are many other elite coaches that have incorporated this into there programs for many years and have seen great success with it. This is something that every pole vaulter should be doing if they want to keep up with the competition.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:51 pm

keulpv wrote:I went and bought one. There is a really dorky picture of me and Dason while Stacy is on the trampoline. I wonder how they can take 50 pictures but still use the one where I look like a 1984 football coach. Oh well

Scan it and post it! :D

S.Parkin
PV Newbie

Unread postby S.Parkin » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:25 pm

I was a gymnast before I started pole vaulting, and I think it helped me a lot. Expecially the un-even bars, because I kind of had an idea about what I was doing. Thanks for posting this.

baggettpv
PV Master

Gymnastic and Pole vault.

Unread postby baggettpv » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:25 am

Here at the WSTC Gymnastics have been a part of the training for the last 14 years. High bar, Parallel bars, uneven bars, Rings and trampoline. On the high bar when the kids get done with lifting in April they move to the high bar. They have accomplished the giant swing, Free hip circles and free hip to a handstand by this time in terms of skill development. The workout is to continuously move thru these skills with non-stop movement for 3 @ 1 minute sets with a 3 minute rest between. If you have the skills try this workout....
Anything that can be done from below the support to above the support is excellent.

Rick Baggett

osjb44
PV Beginner

Unread postby osjb44 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:17 pm

Exactly what exercises should I be doing, cause I am thinking about getting into gymnastics (I did cheerleading, so I know nothing but tumbling)?
>>Joey<<

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:25 pm

osjb44 wrote:Exactly what exercises should I be doing, cause I am thinking about getting into gymnastics (I did cheerleading, so I know nothing but tumbling)?

Do as much as you can on the bars and play around on the rings whenever you get a chance. There are pole vault specific things you can do, just search the message board, but almost anything you learn from the gymnastics coaches on the bars will help.

vaulter chick 08
PV Newbie

Unread postby vaulter chick 08 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:32 pm

i definately think gymnastics helped me! a lot of the things we did in gymnastics we use for vaulting too, so i am familiar with a lot of the things beforehand, which really helps me.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”