Pole Vault Manifesto

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

Is 18ft vault possible for women

Poll ended at Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:12 pm

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 61

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:33 pm

I agree, Tim, Joe Dial, Jeff Buckingham, Steve Stubblefield, Dale Jenkins and Eric Forney had very good technique back in the 70s and 80s.

gtc wrote:Tim definately was a masterful technition. Most guy's with his size, speed and vertical would do good to jump 5.10 let alone 5.65 He and Joe Dial were both ahead of their time technically. They were doing things at take off and in the air that few people realized Although Tim never did master volzing quite as well as Joe :)
I would say that Tim probably maximized his physical abilities as well as anyone in the world. Except for possibly Eric Forney(5.40m) while practically running in place.

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:29 am

Stubblefield? I wouldn't go that far!! Whoa Nellie.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:58 am

Tim is the best technician i have ever watched from the last 4 strides on up. and ive watched film of EVERYONE a million times. and the reason i think he played catch up too his poles sometimes is because he was jumping on extremely large poles for his size and with the speed the poles uncoiled he had little room for error. tim is around 40 and i know he can still get a pole pick, a spot on the runway and jump 15ft with excellent form.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:48 pm

If I recall, Steve Stubblefield (Arkansas State) went 17’0â€Â

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:21 am

Tim McMichael wrote:I know it looked like that I drove and waited, but that was becaue of my low angle and the length my trail leg had to travel. My trail leg was almost paralell to the runway before it stopped going back. Believe me, I was trying to pull and swing the instant my pole hit the back of the box. The harder I pulled, the faster my swing went and the more my pole moved.

Tim's case underscores an important point. There is a difference between what it looks like and what the vaulter is trying to do. Intention of the vaulter (technical model) is like a good investment it creates huge advantage over a long period of time. Proper technical model would stimulate the physical development and produce results that would seem impossible with a particular athlete’s initial physical set. Tim described a classic physical feedback loop (hinted to in Manifesto) that created a positive connection between height clearance and in his case pulling into the swing the moment the pole touched the box.

Young Bubka was a gifted athlete, but he would not achieve physical super performances without strong feedback loop that demanded physical growth. Creating such a feedback loop(s) is the goal of the 640 Model. To create a strong feedback loop the model must be simplified to the most basic movement. Complex movements are not a fertile ground for strong feedback loops.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:32 pm

This is what peak jumping is like for me.

It is like an altered state in which a feeling of force and motion exists in my body that is translated in my mind as a visual image in motion. The entire jump in every aspect exists in my mind in this fashion, and I can deliberately call it up as I step onto the runway. I feel everything that is going to happen before it does. It is an anticipation that is so strong that the thing anticipated seems to be already happening. This anticipation through feel is processed in my mind like seeing an image of my body moving in front of me that I follow through the motions of the vault. It is like seeing the future because I can feel exactly what is going to happen before it does. Time slows down, and I can see aspects of my jump that I want to focus on from any angle. It is like my mind is a camera filming the jump as it goes up, but the filming is taking place before the action happens. This is not because of an image that I have memorized, but because of a feel in my muscles and bones that I can repeat.

At one time, I felt that I had mastered the vault because it existed in my mind in this fashion as a single entity; it was not broken down into parts and there were no blank spaces. I could jump as I pleased. My only limitation was my physical condition.

The problem is that I have no idea how to begin to coach this aspect of the jump. When I can’t I feel that I am leaving something essential out. I am intrigued by the possibility of developing this awareness through the feedback loop. Perhaps this concept and a focus on the positions that encourage it can enhance this kind of awareness. I don’t know.

Any thoughts on this agapit?

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:43 am

Tim McMichael wrote:This is what peak jumping is like for me.

It is like an altered state in which a feeling of force and motion exists in my body that is translated in my mind as a visual image in motion. The entire jump in every aspect exists in my mind in this fashion, and I can deliberately call it up as I step onto the runway. I feel everything that is going to happen before it does. It is an anticipation that is so strong that the thing anticipated seems to be already happening. This anticipation through feel is processed in my mind like seeing an image of my body moving in front of me that I follow through the motions of the vault. It is like seeing the future because I can feel exactly what is going to happen before it does. Time slows down, and I can see aspects of my jump that I want to focus on from any angle. It is like my mind is a camera filming the jump as it goes up, but the filming is taking place before the action happens. This is not because of an image that I have memorized, but because of a feel in my muscles and bones that I can repeat.

At one time, I felt that I had mastered the vault because it existed in my mind in this fashion as a single entity; it was not broken down into parts and there were no blank spaces. I could jump as I pleased. My only limitation was my physical condition.

The problem is that I have no idea how to begin to coach this aspect of the jump. When I can’t I feel that I am leaving something essential out. I am intrigued by the possibility of developing this awareness through the feedback loop. Perhaps this concept and a focus on the positions that encourage it can enhance this kind of awareness. I don’t know.

Any thoughts on this agapit?

You are describing a so-called comfort zone. The zone achieved by an athlete when all in place and no technique concerns exist. The jump becomes effortless.

This could be achieved with any model that you use. Achieving the zone does not mean that the model is more or less efficient. It simply means that you are very comfortable with the model you use.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:17 pm

I believe you are right that the comfort zone can be found in any technique, but I think it might be easier to find if the movement is simplified to basic elements. I don't think "complex movements are fertile ground" for finding this zone.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:52 pm

That is why i developed the notion of four distinct phases of enenrgy input -rven though in reality it is a continuous chain of input. With four phases identified and presented in a simplified manner, it is easier to understand the whole package - and to teach/practice each of those phases in the context of the whole.

Just one attempt to find a solution to the problem you are discussing. :idea:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:42 am

altius wrote:That is why i developed the notion of four distinct phases of enenrgy input -rven though in reality it is a continuous chain of input. With four phases identified and presented in a simplified manner, it is easier to understand the whole package - and to teach/practice each of those phases in the context of the whole.

Just one attempt to find a solution to the problem you are discussing. :idea:
Altius quote from Coaches forum.
ADTF Academy - I appreciate your comment "I am glad you continue to come to the Summit even though many coaches don't think you should be there."

Funny thing is, nobody has come up to me and told me I shouldnt be there - they even allow French and Russians there for goodness sake - surely your great allies - the OZZIES - should be welcome. I have been to many countries -usually as a student - and i remain that at the summit - and no one has ever been other than welcoming and helpful. So if there are any brave souls out there who can give me good reasons why i should not go to the reno Summit i would appreciate them contacting me either through this forum or privately.

Well if my coming to the Summit Ps them off then what will they say to a five week tour of the US in June/July involving five major clinics/camps?? That should give them a stroke!

Also folk should never forget that one of the two major driving forces of the Summit is a guy called Steve Chappell! And who taught HIM to vault??? Incidentally i have already told him Im not coming back!!

Altius, speaking of the French vaulters what do you think of Thierry Vigneron’s technique? I thought he was very efficient, not real big, nor fast but extremely good technique. I think people should purchase your book (BTB) for the valuable information. The Mechanics of the Pole Vault books by Dr. Dick Ganslen are fabulous books with great information and now they are very difficult to find because I do not think the books are in print anymore. I bet there are many vaulters and coaches would like to read Mechanics of the Pole Vault, but cannot find the book. It is better to make a small investment (book) now, instead of saying I should have bought the book when it was available.

Everyone should experience the Pole Vault Summit at least once. We should all be extremely grateful to Steve Chappell, Lane Mastreitti(spelling?), Bob Fraley and all the people who host the summit.

I wanted post my reply in the Coaches forum, but I could not gain access.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:12 am

Soar Like an Eagle wrote:I wanted post my reply in the Coaches forum, but I could not gain access.

I'll add you to it.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:57 am

I always believed that Vigneron was the best technician of the great French vaulters of the 70s and early eighties; he did many things well - but especially the second stage. However I havent looked at him lately with my Petrov/Bubka glasses on!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”