14 or 16 step run

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

mcook
PV Beginner

14 or 16 step run

Unread postby mcook » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:25 pm

How do you know if or when you should move to a longer run. We are currently using a 14 step approach.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:41 pm

Just count every other step....so 7 lefts (or right depending on what you take off of)
Man Up and Jump

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:05 pm

If the athlete has complete control through the run, plant and take off from 14 steps, consider going to 16. While experienced athletes can switch at almost any time I recommend that you do not switch immediately from 14/16 with young athletes.. Spend a couple of weeks - or a whole winter - doing pole runs on the track so the athlete can adapt to the new rhythm of the run up and can cope with the little extra speed they should have. The faster you are moving over the last six step -the faster everything else has to be. :yes: ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Unread postby EIUvltr » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:07 pm

Generally the more amplitude of movement you can create during your drive phase, the longer your run should be. Basically if you are running "correctly" and you hit top speed after 7 lefts, then you are all set, although you may want to work on increasing your amplitude of movement so you can increase speed and THEN move to a longer run.

You also want to be techincally proficient from the run you are at before you start moving back. If you are technically good at a 4 left run and terrible at a 5 left run, moving back to a 6-left would be a bad idea regardless of how fast you are.
"If he dies, he dies"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:51 pm

I don't think any high school vaulters need to be at more than 14 steps unless they are very experienced, technically proficient, and jumping well over their hand grip.

I have no idea the training age or ability of the athlete mentioned, but that is my opinion.

AKell
PV Nerd

Unread postby AKell » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:26 pm

You need enough steps to be at full speed and in a comfortable stride by takeoff, but not so many you're tired after 3 vaults. Find your happy medium- mine's 6, but my friend does 7, the newbies on my team do 5, and I know a really good, fast guy who uses 8. whatever works for you.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. -Pre

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”