Types of Poles

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

What type of pole do you like the best?

Pacer
29%
UCS Spirit
40%
Sky Pole
3%
Nordic
3%
ESSX
23%
Rocket
1%

Total votes: 86

JMP8928
PV Pro

Unread postby JMP8928 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:45 pm

KYLE ELLIS wrote:Hey sky poles are the sweetest poles under 15ft!!!

i pretty much feel like sky poles do their best work over the 15 foot mark... the picture on the left is a 14 footer... they aaaalmost got the sail peice in the right spot ;)

UNCW Vaulter
PV Beginner

The best poles made!

Unread postby UNCW Vaulter » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:44 pm

UCS SPIRIT!!! Simply the best poles made[/code]
Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.

www.wrightsvillebeachvault.com

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:21 pm

Out of all the poles listed, I enjoy the Spirits the best. I feel that changing from pole to pole, when using Spirits, makes it easy. They also have a nice and fast recoil. :yes:

For second place, it is a tie between Pacers and Essx!

Other poles that are worth a try: Altius, Big Stick, Cata-pole, and my personal favorite, Pacer III.
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:46 pm

Essx all the way :yes: . They just seem to give me a much better kick over the bar than any other pole iv tried, and i seem to be in better position with them too, nice high fast bend. Spirits are pretty high on my list too though.
I just never seem to jump well with Pacers.
What have you done today to get better?

opalkak
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.45m

Unread postby opalkak » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:51 pm

well when I was about 9 I enjoyed vaulting on tree branches and broom sticks, didn't know I was vaulting at the time. now I really enjoy the fiberglass poles. UCS are what I vault on now. started out on a pacer III, then a green cat, then a pacer whatever, then a yellow cat, a nordic, pacers again, pacer carbon, yellow cats, and then spirits.....ah heck just give me a stick and let me vault.
...success is doing what you can do well and doing well whatever you can do

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

sigh

Unread postby Decamouse » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:53 pm

older - slower - I will take health - then a light pole - or a bar clearance - maybe I should grab the bamboo of the wall and go vault
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

my OLD pole

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:11 pm

I had a bamboo pole that when I jumped last year LOL HA ha for those who know me
It really bent and one day it snapped and the top hit me in the upper lip.
I have a scar to this day that is why I sport a mustache. LOL

We used to use pvc black pipe that was flexable they really bent but did not go any where. That is why we built such small poles as I would love to of had a 10'6"-66 lbs pole When I was younger and I was skinny!! LOL We have on the rack today 10'6" -66 10'6"-77 10'6' -88

www.Xlogicsports.com
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

kenny
PV Newbie

Poles

Unread postby kenny » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:43 am

For those of you who know anything about pole vaulting.....

I believe Spirit Poles are the best.

There is a reason why more championships have been won on Spirits. Even at the last world championships, there were more vaulters on Pacer Carbons, but who won?? A SPIRIT VAULTER. Yes Brad Walker is a STUD, however would he have done as well on another brand. NO. For those of you who watched the recent indoor World Championships. He was further under on his winning jump, but he still made the bar. Look at those who missed and you will see they were under and using Pacers.

My opinion is that the Pacer Carbon is not forgiving. You have to be on, otherwise your vault is over.

Maybe it comes down to the type of technique you use. But there are a number of coaches out there who seem to only use them.

I wonder what the following coaches who seam to only/mostly use Spirits think?

Vitali Petrov, Jim Beemiller, Dave Butler, Brian Yokoyama, Bob Fraley, Dave Nielson, Pat Licari, Greg Hull, sorry if I forget anyone.

I even heard a story that the Japanese dude, left his longtime coach in order to jump on Spirit Poles!!!!

Some people I guess will die for them!

Texasvaulter07
PV Whiz

Unread postby Texasvaulter07 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:41 am

way to revive a two year old thread :confused:
Vault Old School wrote:Hey I was just wondering if anybody out there knew Bubka's Height, Weight, Body Fat%, etc. when he was competing?

bjvando wrote:i heard he was 7 ft tall, with a negative body-fat percentage......

LancerVaulter07
PV Pro

Unread postby LancerVaulter07 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:09 am

last season i baught my own rocket because my old school sucked and wouldnt get me a pole but lately ive been jumping on UCS spirit and i tend to really like these poles. at my new school we have a good selection, mostly pacer and spirit but i still like the spirits
"Just Fly"

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:03 pm

Has anyone ever seen a pole called "Lairk"? I ran into them in eastern Europe. One of the Polish vaulters tried to tell me about them when he asked to borrow my poles. He didn’t speak much English, so he threw his Lairk on the ground spit on it and kicked it. It was the most eloquent expression of an opinion on a pole I have ever heard.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:06 pm

Tim McMichael wrote:Has anyone ever seen a pole called "Lairk"? I ran into them in eastern Europe. One of the Polish vaulters tried to tell me about them when he asked to borrow my poles. He didn’t speak much English, so he threw his Lairk on the ground spit on it and kicked it. It was the most eloquent expression of an opinion on a pole I have ever heard.

Do you mean "Lerc"? Green french pole I believe. What about Lancet? The German Big Stick.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”