Class of 2006 Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:18 am

Jared Mecham, Washington to BYU
Just you wait...

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:26 am

Congrats Mecham! :)
Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars

bvpv07
PV Great
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:28 am

woops...forgot to add that one of my teammates will also be going there (Kari McAllister) and will be joining her sister who is already there *and will be a junior next year* (Ashley McAllister)
Fly me to the moon

Let me play among the stars

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:30 am

http://nwanews.com/nwat/Sports/39527/

Fayetteville High continued its churning out of quality products Wednesday when it announced the signing of two if its own with Division I schools.

Fayetteville pole vaulter Chad Faulkner signed with the Ivy League’s Princeton University and Purple Dog golfer Rob Hudson inked with Conference USA’s University of Southern Mississippi at Bulldog Fieldhouse on Wednesday amid a throng of well-wishers.

While Princeton does not give athletic scholarships, Faulkner was one of 1,792 students who were accepted among 17,563 applicants at the school for the 2006-07 academic school year. "Chad’s not only good for 10 points in the pole vault every time out," Fayetteville track coach Bill Harrelson said, "but he just brings so much leadership to the team. He doesn’t just take care of his event, he’s figuring up points and cheering guys on. He’s a great student, a great athlete and a great person."

Historically, Princeton is the Ivy League’s top track and field program. The Tigers have won 25 league championships since 1980. Princeton coach Fred Samara is in his 28 th season at Princeton. "We are excited to have Chad Faulkner join our team and attend Princeton," Samara said in a press release. "Chad is an outstanding student-athlete, but most importantly he is a tremendous, well-rounded young man. I predict he will flourish in Princeton’s environment and do many great things in the future."

Faulkner’s personal-best vault is 15-06, which pales in comparison to his 4.0 GPA and 2,140 SAT score. Faulkner was recruited by Princeton last July and said the coaching staff worked with him to make sure he completed the rigorous application process correctly and timely. "I’m ecstatic right now," Faulkner said. "I remember being a sophomore and coming in here for football and watching someone sign with a college and wishing that was me. This is a great realization of that goal. This is big for my family because no one has graduated college from my family so this is exciting for all of us."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:42 am

http://www.mcall.com/sports/highschool/ ... school-hed

Martson and Brooke Borso, a pole vaulter on the girls track and field team, are heading to Division I programs. Borso signed a letter of intent to attend Northeastern University in Boston.

Borso, too, is an athlete who's improved dramatically in a short period of time.

A former gymnast with the Parkettes, she took up pole vaulting about two years ago. Since then, she's become Whitehall's school-record holder in the event, breaking her previous mark with a vault of 12-11/4 earlier this week.

Her accomplishments include a second-place finish at this year's Nike Indoor nationals, fourth at the National Scholastic Indoor Championships and eighth at the Pennsylvania Track and Field Coaches Association indoor state meet.

''I started vaulting and I really liked it,'' Borso said. ''When I started getting a lot better, I realized it was something I wanted to do in college. … I started leaning toward Northeastern because of the academics. It's a co-op school.''

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:11 pm

http://www.limaohio.com/story.php?IDnum=24609

At Columbus Grove, pole-vaulter Jenna Oard committed to attend Ashland University. Oard set the Division III state record with a vault of 11 feet, eight inches last season. She finished third at the state meet.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:49 am

http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/sp ... 7&cxcat=12

Ward said that Carswell is planning to attend Stephen F. Austin State University next fall with "an opportunity to continue pole vaulting."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:39 am

http://www.chieftain.com/sports/1145009104/3

Sam Pierson wants to take his pole vaulting career to new heights.

Literally.

Pierson on Thursday signed a letter of intent to attend Idaho State University in Pocatello, Idaho. The South High School senior said signing with the Division I Bengals will help him achieve several goals.

"I chose Idaho State for a couple of reasons. They have a great track and field program with great coaches. And they have a great nursing program and those are the areas I want to go into," Pierson said Thursday.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:45 am

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/hera ... OYS_S1.asp

If Jake Winder wasn't in such great physical shape, he might be caught pausing to catch his breath at some point during the day today.

For the last 48 hours, he has been quite a busy young man, running and jumping and vaulting to all new heights.

Winder's whirlwind tour started on Wednesday when he signed a national letter of intent to attend the University of Alabama on scholarship. The defending Class AA state pole vault champion will compete next year against a Who's Who of track and field from around the United States in the Southeastern Conference.

The decision to sign with Alabama was every bit as monumental for Winder.

"I just signed my papers, so that was huge for me, yeah," he said. "The reason I went to Alabama was so that I don't have to have cold weather in Illinois. I knew whenever I started looking for colleges the big thing for me was the conference and who I was going to be competing against every weekend.

"It's looking like I'm going to get my tail kicked every weekend until senior year. Then, hopefully I'll be able to be better. That's what I want. I wanted to be jumping with the best in the USA every weekend. That's one of the biggest reasons why I picked Alabama."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:52 am

http://www.mcall.com/sports/highschool/ ... school-hed

Mike Lawryk gets his share of surprises as head coach of the Vertical Assault pole vaulting club.

Some of them, such as an athlete who can't compete because of an injury, are unwelcome. Every once in a while, though, there's someone like Whitehall High School's Brooke Borso â€â€

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:09 am

Phil Hanson (IL) - Northern Iowa

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006 ... 391890.txt

With 17-1¼ on his resume, Hanson, who also visited Washington State, could have signed with a higher profile college program.

“I’m extremely happy with choosing Northern Iowa,â€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:12 am

Random rant: The NAIA does not participate in the National Letter of Intent program. You might sign a financial aid package at an NAIA school, but you're not signing an NLI, and if you decide you want to go somewhere else you can sign a financial aid package and enroll at another school.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles ... ehouse.txt

Morehouse, Buer headed to DSU
By Gazette News Services

DICKINSON, N.D. -- A pair of Huntley Project athletes have signed letters of intent to compete in sports at Dickinson State University.

John Morehouse, a 215-pound offensive and defensive lineman, will play football at DSU. He was a Class B all-state selection as well as all-conference selection in football as a senior.

Garrett Buer will compete in track and field at DSU. He is the defending Class B state champion in the pole vault (14 feet, 9 inches) and was also an all-conference selection in football.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”