100 times...

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
LancerVaulter07
PV Pro

100 times...

Unread postby LancerVaulter07 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:01 am

im sure theres a post out there like this but i was just wondering if all vaulters run the 100 in meets...

i never really did at my old school, but then again, my old school was more of a track club, not a team...

now ive run in the 3 (dual, not relay) meets we've had at ive run 12 flat... i didn't think that was too bad but i was just wondering how everyone else compares
"Just Fly"

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:22 pm

the one time i've run the open 100 i ran a 11.6x which was this past summer.

other events: 110HH - 16.20; 300LH - 42.20
Last edited by LHSpolevault on Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:54 pm

In high school i ran an 11.3, and then I got to college and stopped hurdling and started lifting....i have only run it once in college getting an 11.5
Man Up and Jump

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:04 pm

Freshman year of High School my best was a 12 flat, and I'm just getting slower each year...I've gotten lazy with sprint workouts and lifting, and instead have been working on vault.

Marengo139
PV Beginner

Unread postby Marengo139 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:44 pm

I run alot of events aside from the pole vault but they switch depending on where they need me
400m:54 sec
300 IH:48 sec
200m:26 sec
100:11.2sec
800: Don't know yet i have to run it tommarrow aiming for a 2:10

baggettpv
PV Master

speed in the vault...

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:55 am

The data has been in for along time. The results are:
The faster you are, the higher you can go. Ask Peter McGinnis at Cortland.
My professional opinion is that if you can't go 11 sec. or under you will have problems with heighths over 5.20. Exceptions are the rule but the facts are the facts.

Girls should be low 12 seconds to go high.

Now they normally can't just run this fast, they have to train to go this fast. The first facet of speed development is to traing for a mechanically sound run. I will get more into that in South Carolina in June with the Carolina Extreme group. Come on out if your around.

Rick Baggett

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:24 am

Though the 100 is a set race that could be used as a standard my question is how does your 100 time and your pole vault runway correlate. Last time I check no one runs from that great of distance or would want to. In the 100 after about 60m you start to decelerate. Last time I checked in the vault you want to be at top end controllable speed when you reach the plant. That means the last 40m or so is pointless in the 100 (from a vautlers perspective)

After roughly 6 to 8 seconds you have used up all the ATP in the energy system pole vaulters use. What does the last 3 to 4 seconds show us as coaches.

I would be more curious with how much distance can you cover in lets say 6 seconds. The further you can cover the more potential you have.

Once you figure out how far you can travel in lets say 6 seconds, mark off the last 5m of that distance and repeat the run again, but this time you should time the last 5m. Divide this time by 5 and you will get your max M/S you can acheive during an approach. The greater this number the greater your potential. Now figure out how many steps it took to reach this point and you have the start to figuring out your ideal approach length.

As a side note you should also vary what 5m you time to see if 6 seconds is to long for you. Once 6 to 8 seconds hits you will not be able to go any faster unless you started off way to slow. Full out acceleration 100% effort you can go for about 6 to 8 seconds before you slow down. I love the comment go slow to fast. Hmm what is acceleration, last time I checked you start off slow because your dead still and you speed up over the course of 20 to 40m for most runners. The greater your speed potential the further the distance you will accelerate. If you get to top end speed in 10m. I would go back in work on your running mechanics. Plus this also tells me your 8 left approach is a tad long. ;) Once at top end speed you can hold it for roughly 1 to 2 seconds. Therefore lets say you take 20m to hit top end speed and you can hold it for only 7m. Thats a 27m approach or 90 feet. I would be safe to say thats around most 14 plus foot high school boys 7 left approach. And if you are starting out with a slow jog then going into a fast sprint you never reached top end speed at the plant and your losing potential. On the other hand if you reach top end speed in 15m and can only hold it for 5m thats an approach of roughly 67 feet. If your coming from 7 lefts your appraoch is way to long and your slowing down at the plant so some coach told you to start out slower instead of shortening your steps. Just because you can run 8 lefts doesn't mean you should. ;)

To look only at the 100 means you would have to train on the fine points of how to float and slow down the process of deceleration. Which is not a factor in any jumping event. It doens't need to be trained or focused on.

Here is a freaky thing for the pole vautlers out there. In the 100 it is not always the fastest person that wins. It is the person that slows down the least who will win.

Carolina21
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59

Unread postby Carolina21 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:47 pm

I do completely agree there are better indicators than a 100m for vaulting ability, but I think sprinting and learning how to run a 100m has value for any and all vaulters.
Also, I would bet the 100m is a better indicator than many people think.

The hundred has a few aspects like the start and the fact that is is 65-70 meters longer than most peoples approach, but still, like Rick said, most people who jump over 5.20 can run below 11.50. The hundred is the closest event held in outdoor track that can give some indicator of speed and sprint athleticism, both of which are neccessary to jump high.
I don't know if there is any data but I would be willing to bet there is a direct corelation with a vaulters PR and their best 100m times. On average the faster your hundred PR the higher your PR in the vault. Its probably not as accurate as speed through the last 10m of approach but I bet it is pretty close and a better indicator than you would think.
*****The problem is that not many vaulters run the 100 consistently, or practice it with the same degree of preperation as their vault (they don't need to), but if they did I would bet almost all 17' vaulters could work their way to running below 11.35, and all 18' vaulters could run below 11.00 or faster and so on......The few who jumped that high but were much slower than the rest would be extreme exceptions to the rule. Look at most peoples post on here they have only run the race once or twice in their entire vault careers, sometimes many years before their current PR. I know I have only run a 100 4 times ever, twice in college and twice after. It would take more races than that to get a true 100m PR.
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:09 am

Well myths and misunderstandings die hard in this great event, do they not!?

1. Of course there is a correlation between 100 speed, run up speed and the height vaulted! But there is a higher correlation between the long jump and the vault, according to Dr. Jean Claude Perin, That should be fairly obvious given the nature of both events, but I notice no one on PVP seems to raise that issue - it is always 100 speed that gets mentioned!!! Is this fact important - of course. It means that vaulters should include long jumping in their training before they focus on trying to improve their 100 times. Since there is an even tighter correlation between LJ and sprinting speed - there should be a pay off both ways.

2. The question coaches must answer is always - what can my athletes do to jump higher? The answer with 99.9% of vaulters is not to run faster but to improve your plant and take off - get the timing and movement path right with the first - and get the body solid from top hand to take off toe, and taking off out not under, with the second. If you can keep driving your hands high after take off, that will also make a difference. If you do these things you DO NOT have to run faster to jump higher. Although I am not saying that running faster is bad, my observation in BTB that 'the faster you are driving a car when you lose control, the worse the smash is like to be'. is stll valid.

(Note that I base the above comments on an analysis of the techniques of the vaulters in last years USTFF? Championships in carson - film provided courtesy of David Butler.)

3. So what should be the priority in training -

-- improving 100 speed?? - which is very difficult to do after you have had a fair number of comps and indeed is largely genetic!!

-- or improving your plant and take off? The first is easy and can be mastered by most grandmothers while the second is not difficult and just takes repetitive practice - in a sand pit initially -and even more repetitive practice thereafter - PLUS LONG JUMPING from run ups of various lengths. That is the best way to optimise your performance. Do not lock yourself into the notion that you cannot jump higher if you do not improve your 100 times.

:yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Carolina21
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59

Unread postby Carolina21 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:11 am

I do agree about the LJ being a better indicator, but to me it seems all these events (100M, Vault, LJ) do come back to speed and sprint positions, the vault to a lesser degree but it still does. A good long jumper, jumps far by virtue of their approach speed and their take off, but you won't find many who come down the runway with poor sprint mechanics and poor body position and then suddenly hits a perfect take off.
I just think learning how to run properly is much more important than is being given credit. If you come in with great mechanics in a great sprint position there is not much you have to do but stick your hands up to achieve a good plant, most problems are eliminated. The position you hit your takeoff dictates so much of the vault that occurs after. It seems to me people get soo caught up in teaching the vaulter to hit a good plant position they forget the reason his position was bad in the first place is the position his/her body was in leading up to the plant. Fix the run and you fix most of the plant.

You have to learn to walk before you run and learn to run before you can pole vault.

I know most High School Athletes want to vault every day and jump and jump, but I think coaches are doing them a great disservice by ignoring the run. If more time were spent teaching vaulters to run I think many plant issues would not exist. Why do most vaulters not learn how to run until college? I would encourage vaulters to run more and really become students of not only vaulting but sprinting. Study it just a much as you study the vault because it is a huge part of the vault, this is track people, speed is king. I think guys like Bubka's vaults were so great because of the position they came into the plant with, his approach was amazing. I am not saying the plant and swing are not important, it is important also...... equally important, but not more important. From my experience, improving times in races has more to do with running technique and fitness than anything, it’s a great indicator of fitness and speed because the clock tells no lies. When I improve times it means to me I have become a more efficient sprinter, since I know I didn't suddenly grow new fast twitch muscles. Implying that genetics affects the 100 more than any other event is simply untrue, it affects ALL TRACK EVENTS, the vault included. There is just as much technique in a sprint race as in the vault. Will a vaulter ever jump 6.40m who can only run 8.5 - 9.0 m/s? (For my sake I'd love this to be true, but it ain't gonna happen) We need to maximize all aspects, the approach and the vault. I just think at the high school level and even college to a degree the run is taking a big time back seat. I think discouraging vaulters from running and practicing races like the 60m, 100m, 200m, and even 400m would be doing them a big disservice.
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:22 pm

Carolina 21 - Dont have a problem with most of what you say. As you will see in BTB I have no problem with improving sprint mechanics -although I would prefer to focus on improving the mechanics of sprinting with a pole - because there are significant differences beteen the two. However I also believe that the ability of the atlhete to structure their run up so as to arrive at take off in the right position to jump, is as important as speed.

As you know. coaching is a question of priorities and my observation of many of the best vaulters in the US at the present time -and the world for that matter - is that they are fast enough on the runway but are not good enough in the plant and take off phases to exploit their speed. There are also some, and Jeff Hartwig is one of those - as is Dimitri Markov from OZ - who in my opinion, even after a good plant and take off, throw away height because of an apparently small problem in the whip phase.

My comments are a reaction to many many posts on this site which have raised this issue and which almost always present the notion that improving your run up speed is THE solution to vaulting higher. As Bubka said in 2002 -There are many vaulters around the world, and especially in the US who he believed had superior athletic ability to his - poor technique was the limiting factor in their performance, not limited athleticism.

I would add that in a discussion of this kind it is pointless to bring in the red herring of what speed is needed to jump 6.40. As you Americans say - that is a no brainer. However even there, my point is that even if a dozen athletes can hit the take off at 10m/sec, none of them will jump even 6.20 until they and their coaches apply the basic principles of the Petrov/Bubka model.

I restate my basic point that while any athlete prepared to work hard enough at the right drills can improve their plant and take off, no amount of work would enable them to move from 8m/sec to 10m/sec, unless of course it occurs over a period from age 15 to 30 through both training and maturation.

Since I have seen many topics like this spin out of control, this is my last contribution to the debate. Have a good day. :)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:46 pm

Thierry Vigneron from France was pretty good jumping 19’5â€Â

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”