too much speed...??

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

stavhoppare
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter, Olympic and Div. Coach
Lifetime Best: 17'8 3/4
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Isackson

POLE VAULT APPROACH

Unread postby stavhoppare » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:00 am

THE APPROACH IN THE LONG JUMP, TRIPLE JUMP AND POLE VAULT
DICK RAILSBACK

USATF DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE[/b]

THE TWO HORIZONTAL JUMPING EVENTS AND THE POLE VAULT SHARE MUCH IN APPROACH MECHANICS. THE APPROACH ALLOWS THE ATHLETE TO DEVELOP SPEED, TEMPO AND PROPER BODY POSITION TO ACHIEVE AN EFFICIENT TAKE OFF. AT ALL TIMES, THE ATHLETE MUST STRIVE TO BE A SPRINTER, USING PROPER SPRINT MECHANICS.

THERE ARE SEVERAL CONCEPTS REGARDING THE APPROACH THAT NEED TO BE CONSIDERED.
STEERING
FOR YOUNG ATHLETES OR THOSE JUST LEARNING THE EVENT, A SHORT APPROACH (15-20 M) IS RECOMMENDED. THE CONCEPT OF STEERING OR GETTING A FEEL FOR THE DISTANCE (SPATIAL AWARENESS) ALLOWS THE ATHLETE TO MAKE SUBTLE CHANGES IN THE STRIDE PATTERNS AS MIGHT BE NEEDED LATER ON IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE APPROACH. AT THIS STAGE, THERE IS NO REAL NEED TO RUN A PREDETERMINED NUMBER OF STEPS. IF THE ATHLETE SEEMS TO STRIDE OUT OR SHORTEN (CHOP) TO ACHIEVE THE PROPER TAKE OFF, THE COACH MAY SUGGEST MOVING THE STARTING POINT OF THE APPROACH FORWARD OR BACKWARD.

AS THE ATHLETE DEVELOPS A CONSISTENT STRIDE PATTERN AND EFFICIENT SPRINT MECHANICS, A SPECIFIC NUMBER OF STEPS CAN BE SET FOR A MORE PRECISE APPROACH.
SPEED
ONE CONCEPT TO BE UNDERSTOOD IS THE FASTER ATHLETE WILL NEED MORE DISTANCE (LONGER APPROACH) TO REACH TOP SPEED WHILE THE SLOWER JUMPER SHOULD USE A SHORTER APPROACH. A SLOW JUMPER MAY BE ABLE TO DEVELOP TOP SPEED IN JUST A FEW STRIDES WHILE TOP SPRINTERS REACH MAXIMUM VELOCITY FROM 40 M. TO 60 M. FROM THE START. AS MOST YOUNG, DEVELOPING JUMPERS DO NOT POSSESS GREAT SPEED, IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THEY USE A SHORTER APPROACH UNTIL THEY DEVELOP BETTER STRENGTH, FLEXIBILITY AND SPRINT MECHANICS.

THE ATHLETE SHOULD STRIVE TO ATTAIN MAXIMUM SPEED (FOR THE APPROACH BEING USED) THROUGH THE TAKE OFF. WE HAVE OFTEN HEARD THE TERM “MAXIMUM CONTROLED SPEEDâ€Â
5.405 in '69 Those not living on the edge are taking up too much room!!!

FlyerChick4
PV Nerd

Unread postby FlyerChick4 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:06 am

i don't understand how it works....
This year your gonna have to work twice as hard.

stavhoppare
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter, Olympic and Div. Coach
Lifetime Best: 17'8 3/4
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Isackson

Pole Vault Approach

Unread postby stavhoppare » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:10 am

After that long post, one more thing. I have observed in many vaulters (even world class) that when feeling "off" or uncomfortable at the takeoff, it is often a problem of having the pole tip too high too long into the approach. The pole tip must be passing through eye level at least 4 steps out. It is a flowing movement, continuous from the beginning of the approach. Problems occur when the pole is still very high as the plant starts. There is a rush to get the pole down and this results in poor body position and late plants.

The vaulters' eye level must be smooth and maintained. Project the speed down the runway. If the vaulter is "bouncing" on the run, the head is going up and down and so are the eyes. Much harder to focus on the box.
5.405 in '69 Those not living on the edge are taking up too much room!!!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:34 pm

tikrapt wrote:i was recently having this problem of my last few steps being very long. to fix it i take a larger first couple steps-kind of hop a step or two and then make them smaller and by the time your at the end they're right where they should be

AAAAAAAAARGH!!!!

If I could make it any bigger I would. With all due respect to the young and enthusiastic vaulters posting on this forum, it is difficult to understand the degree of ignorance about so many of the basic elements of the vault. Good material is readily available, for goodness sake get off your keisters and find it. Do not promote the kind of ridiculous advice on developing a run up repesented by the above quote! :crying: :no:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”