Riding the uncoiling pole anyone?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:17 am

you didn't like my terminology? how bout I am trying to actively put pressure up on the pole with my extended arms, better?

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:53 pm

VaultMarq26 wrote:
Barto wrote:The terminology you are using, "ride the uncoiling pole" makes me think your overall concept of vaulting may not be correct. You really never want to "ride" the pole. You want to swing on it and time your swing so that the pole moves to vertical at the exact time you complete your swing above the pole.

There, it is as clear as mud.

I watch her at practice every day, and she pretty much has to "ride" the poles. They are VERY slow when she vaults......she has started to jump off the ground which has helped tremendously, but she still has to spend time waiting.

Ok, if any vaulter has to "ride" the pole then they need to lower their grip and try to have a higher takeoff angle.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:15 pm

Her take-off angle is the problem then.....she has improved somewhat, but I guess she is still sitting on the pole.
Man Up and Jump

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”