Advice t keeping my arms stright

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

IndyCoach
PV Nerd
Expertise: High School Coach

Unread postby IndyCoach » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:10 am

If you arent bending the pole, your bottom arm has to collaps. Until you start to get a flex from the pole, it has to collapse. Just try to keeping from going out to a chicken wing position. and keep yourself behind the pole as long as possible.

ipolevault
PV Fan

Unread postby ipolevault » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:08 pm

I just fixed my collapsing problem 2 days ago, and the drill that really helped me was this-

you need another person besides yourself who is fairly strong. now, stand in front of the box like you would be if you were vaulting, your plant up, pole in the back f the box, etc. make sure you have your knee up and keep your trail leg back. now have the other person come behind you and grab your upper back and push you forward. this should push you up in the air, so focus on keeping your trail leg down and your arms traight. if your amrs are not straight, you will fall to the side.

again, this really helped me. i don't know if it will help you.

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:23 pm

ipolevault wrote:I just fixed my collapsing problem 2 days ago, and the drill that really helped me was this-

you need another person besides yourself who is fairly strong. now, stand in front of the box like you would be if you were vaulting, your plant up, pole in the back f the box, etc. make sure you have your knee up and keep your trail leg back. now have the other person come behind you and grab your upper back and push you forward. this should push you up in the air, so focus on keeping your trail leg down and your arms traight. if your amrs are not straight, you will fall to the side.

again, this really helped me. i don't know if it will help you.

That was one of the first drills we did with the new people on friday. It did'nt go so well since they were all girls and kept collapsing their arms. It also didn't help that it was only the 3rd time I'd ever held someone up like that.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”