Class of 2006 Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:41 pm

From Dyestat

CO : Snell, J.D., Rampart, Colorado Springs -- pole vault -- to Colorado State
IL : Hanson, Phil, Pontiac, -- pole vault -- to Northern Iowa
NE : Burney, Seth, Beatrice, -- pole vault -- to Nebraska

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:01 pm

From Dyestatcal

Shuler, Ryan (pole vault - Granite Bay-SJS) to UC Berkeley

bvpv07
PV Great
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:25 pm

Cal should have quite a pole vault squad next year.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:18 am

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/c ... 11gym.html

Fairmont senior earns BGSU gymnastics scholarship
17-year-old earned 7th all-around at Level 10 competition
By Debbie Juniewicz
For the Dayton Daily News

KETTERING | Amber Brewer has been tumbling since she was a toddler.

Somersaults have turned into a scholarship for the Kettering gymnast. The Kettering Fairmont High School senior received one of two gymnastics scholarships awarded by Bowling Green State University for the fall 2006. The Level 10 gymnast is the first member of the Stars Gymnastics and Cheer club to earn a full gymnastics scholarship.
Brewer, 17, has come a long way from the scared 2-year-old who could barely be pried off her mom's leg at the gym.
"When I first started, I hated it but, by the time I was 3, my mom and dad couldn't keep me out of the gym," Brewer said. "I love the thrill of competing and I love just going to practice every day."
Brewer, who has been a competitive gymnast for more than a decade, puts in about 20 hours a week in the gym. Her time and tenacity have translated into state and regional recognition. Most recently, Brewer placed third on floor, fourth on bars, fifth on vault and seventh all-around at the Level 10 State competition.
"She's a very powerful athlete and that will set her apart right away," Bowling Green assistant coach Kerrie Beach said. "But she's also very bright and has a great attitude. She's the whole package."
Brewer maintains a 4.0 grade-point average and also manages to work the National Honor Society, French Honor Society and the Symphonic Orchestra into her busy schedule. The senior set the Firebirds record in the pole vault at 9-foot-6 last season and won the district title.
"There are many, many more gymnasts than there are scholarships and we get hundreds of tapes every year from girls who want to be on our team," Beach said. "And, this year, we had only two scholarships to give, so it was very competitive."
Gymnastics scholarships are at a premium with only 65 Division I teams nationally. BGSU has 12 full scholarships and carries 20 gymnasts, including walk-ons. The Falcons were ranked 40th last season and fourth in the MAC.
"We want to break into the top three in the MAC and we want our program to excel in the conference," Beach said. "Amber is going to be a huge help and be a big part of our success."
Brewer, who scores her highest marks on the vault, has some goals of her own, as she would like to compete all-around for the Falcons and be an academic All-American.
"I know those are things I need to earn but I don't mind working hard," she said.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:51 am

http://unipanthers.collegesports.com/sp ... 05aaa.html

Panthers Sign Pole Vaulter

Phil Hanson from Pontiac, Ill., to join Chris Bucknam's squad.

Chris Bucknam's squad will add another talented pole vaulter to an already elite group.

Nov. 17, 2005

Cedar Falls, Iowa - The University of Northern Iowa track and field team has signed Phil Hanson, a pole vaulter from Pontiac, Ill., to a national letter of intent, UNI director of running programs Chris Bucknam announced today.

Hanson was the runner-up in the class AA pole vault at the Illinois state meet as a junior. With a personal best of 16'6", Hanson is ranked as the #6 returning high school pole vaulter in the country by Track and Field News.

Hanson adds tremendous depth to an already talented Panther pole vault crew. The Panthers are returning sophomore Andre Poljanec (personal best of 17'11"), junior Jarno Kivioja (best of 17'7") and sophomore decathlete Raven Cepeda (best of 16'7").

"Phil is an extremely talented pole vaulter with a lot of drive and determination," Bucknam said. "The last pole vaulter we signed out of Illinois was our NCAA Division I Champion Jacob Pauli, and we believe Phil has a lot of the same qualities as Jake. He's a tremendous competitor who is fast on the runway and is certainly not afraid to jump high. With Phil's commitment to our track and field team, our pole vault program is going to continue to elevate as one of the premier vault programs in the country. Coach Doug Case has done a tremendous job with our pole vaulters, and with this talented group of individuals we might have four guys jumping at the elite 18-foot barrier."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:21 am

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/c ... notes.html

Women vault past A-10 foes in track
By Kyle Nagel
Dayton Daily News

DAYTON | For the first time beginning next fall, the University of Dayton women's track and field team will feature a pole vaulter. Two of them, in fact, already would be near the top of the Atlantic 10 Conference.

Melissa Walls from Wauseon and Meghan Schreppler from Tyler, Texas, are part of a seven-athlete class signed by UD coach Kandice Erwin.
Walls placed fourth last season at the Division II state championships with a jump of 10 feet, 9 inches for Wauseon, which is in northwest Ohio. Schreppler holds the school record in the long jump (17-1), but her distances last season in the pole vault would have placed her (along with Walls) in the top three at last season's A-10 championships.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:19 pm

http://daytonflyers.collegesports.com/s ... 05aaa.html

WOMEN'S TRACK AND FIELD WELCOMES SEVEN COMMITMENTS FOR 2006-07
Coach Erwin Announces Recruiting Class

Dec. 14, 2005

DAYTON, Ohio - The University of Dayton's Women's Track and Field team will welcome seven newcomers next fall as head coach Kandice Erwin announced the signings of her incoming class for 2006-07.

"We are very excited about the talented young women that we signed during this signing period," Erwin said. "Not only will these women excel in their respective events, they also represent the type of student-athletes that UD is all about; a total package of intellectual and athletic ability. This is already an outstanding early signing class for us here at UD, and we expect this class to continue to grow and become even deeper over the next few months." Melissa Walls, from Wauseon, OH, was named All-League First Team in girl's pole vaulting the past three years, is a two time All-Ohio first team recipient, and placed fourth at the Division II OHSAA state track competition last year.

Newcomers from Texas include Kristen Leigh Terry, Emily Krizmanic and Meghan Schreppler all from the same hometown of Tyler.

Schreppler's holds the school record in the long jump at 17'1" and also participates in the triple jump and pole vault. Schreppler and Walls will be UD's first student-athletes in the pole vault. Their performances as high school juniors would have placed each of them in the top three at the A-10 Championships last year.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:39 pm

http://mutigers.collegesports.com/sport ... 05aaa.html

Tiger Track and Field Inks Seven in Fall Signing
Missouri adds depth in many areas

Dec. 13, 2005

COLUMBIA, Mo.--Missouri head track and field coach Rick McGuire announced the early-signing class for the 2006-07 season on Thursday. The group includes three state champions and highly-talented athletes at multiple disciplines.

Brian Hancock (Pole Vault, Monroe City, Mo., Monroe City High School)
Hancock is only the seventh athlete is MSHSAA Championship history to break the 16-foot barrier in the vault, topping the state's Class 2 record in the event in 2005 in winning his third state championship in the discipline.

"Brian is an outstanding individual and extremely driven in everything that he is involved," said Dan Lefever, assistant coach. "His hard work and determination has paid off tremendously in the classroom and on the track. However, with these great achievements he remains the easy-going and level-head person he was prior to his success. He will bring a hard work ethic and committed attitude to excellence, which is a perfect fit to our program. A 16-foot vaulter is not something you see every day, so I am thrilled that Brian has decided to come to Missouri."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:39 pm

http://gozips.collegesports.com/sports/ ... 05aab.html

Track and Field Signs Seven For 2006-07
Mitchell adds seven to track and field during November's early signing period

Dec. 22, 2005

AKRON, Ohio - University of Akron track and field Head Coach Dennis Mitchell announced that the squad signed seven student-athletes to national letters of intent for the 2006-07 season during November's early signing period.

Carrie Keyes (Uniontown, Ohio/Green HS), Johnny Adams (New Lebanon, Ohio/Dixie HS), Felicia Close (Gallipolis, Ohio/Gallia Academy HS), Ty Burkhart (New Philadelphia, Ohio/Indian Valley HS), Jake Lucas (Marion, Ohio/Ridgedale HS), Velerie Wert (Lexington HS), and Heidi Gross (Mansfield, Ohio/Lexington HS) will start their four years of eligibility in 2006.

"We are very pleased with the athletic talent, academic ability and the outstanding individuals contained within this group of future Zips Track and Field/Cross Country athletes," Mitchell said. "This is a group which has already achieved significant accomplishments in high school, yet we see that they are still diamonds in the rough with a bright future of success ahead of them in college."

A local poll vaulter from Green High School, Keyes is a two-sport athlete, who also competes in gymnastics. Her personal best of 11'6" in the pole vault, helped earn her a Division II, Ohio state championship.

"It is always important for our program to be able to attract the very best local talent like Carrie," Mitchell said. "She is a super individual who will help continue Akron's tradition of success in the pole vault."

KYSEAMAN
PV Whiz
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 17'10.5
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Andrea

Unread postby KYSEAMAN » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:57 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:http://louisville.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=477778

The University of Louisville track and field program opened the early signing period with six prep standouts signing national letters-of-intent for the Fall of 2006. The six athletes in this group have combined to rank in the Top 10 nationally in four events and rank in the Top 25 in three other events.

* Andrea Sabbatine * Pole Vault
Georgetown, Ky. (Scott County HS)
- Mark of 11-06 in pole vault

I vault with Andrea and she is now jumping 12'

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:39 pm

http://www.mariondaily.com/articles/200 ... orts03.txt

White is also the track and field coach at McKendree. He signed Herrin's Jessica Foster to his track program Monday to pole vault and help out with sprints and relays. Foster and Walker are just the latest â€â€

*TigerVault*
PV Whiz
Location: Mckendree College in Lebanon, IL - Hometown: Herrin, IL

Unread postby *TigerVault* » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:53 pm

hehe ya i didn't know that i was gonna be running as well as pole vaulting ... until i read a few articles on my signing :)
Go Dawgs! Woof! Woof! - SIU Salukis

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”