Problem driving into standards

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:38 pm

One thing I noticed too is that your right hand on your approach is way too far behind your hip. It's easy to do because of the "balance thing" but carrying the pole with your right hand so far behind you prevents the tall plant (or makes it waaaaaay harder) and it promotes "roundhousing". (Now be sure to do as I say and not as I do on this one, he he). I believe most coaches coach that the right hand should be right by your hip. Take a look at the video and see if you see what I mean. Nice progress though. Later........Mike

sghetti
PV Wannabe

Unread postby sghetti » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:28 pm

Yeah I see that. I went to neovault.com and saw the video analysis of Markov or something like that. I've been practicing lowering the pole with a broom lol.

And yeah, one thing at a time. I made a list of the things I need to work on and I'm making it my goal to improve 1 aspect of the vault every practice. Hope it works!

sghetti
PV Wannabe

Unread postby sghetti » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:52 pm

For anyone who cares, today I vaulted my PR of 12 feet. Coach said I would have nicked 13 feet with that jump.

Right after that jump I got pumped up, ran down the runway, planted and tried to swing my trail leg as hard as I could. I landed on the grass with my legs straight. I'm icing my leg right now. I hope it's better by Friday because the city champ is going to be vaulting.

Yeah... so today was pretty cool but it sucked at the same time lol.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”