Box covers

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Box covers

Unread postby ACvault » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:15 pm

Ok, at my high school, every time it rains we have do go to the pole vault area and bail the water out of the box. Could anyone tell me what you use to cover the box if you have this problem?

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Rain in the plant box

Unread postby drcurran » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:41 am

I don't think a cover will help. Rain water gets in under the cover, you take the cover off and the box is full and its time to go get a cup, bucket, rags, sponge or whatever. The only thing I ever saw that kept water out of the box was a rubber piece that filled the box so there was no room for the water. The box is supposed to have a drain hole, but many don't or they get clogged. Hope this helps.

Dan

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:39 am

well the cover that covers the pit but the you have to strap it down really tight so barely any water gets under...........you could also dig a hole right next to the end of the runway so the water will go in there instead of the box but thats prolly against some safty law
pain is only temporary victory is forever

Vault Old School
PV Fan

Unread postby Vault Old School » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:35 pm

When I vaulted in the midwest we had a piece of track the size of the box that we pulled in and out of the box every practice. It was a heavy bugger but it kept all the foreign objects out of the box. Just a thought.
Pole Vaulting isn't a sport. It's a lifestyle.

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:20 pm

We used to have a big piece of rubber that covered the box, but they cut that into 3 pieces when they redid our track so it's too small now. They also threw our collar pad in the dumpster and our coach had to dive in to get it back. I think my school hates our track program.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Box covers

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:24 pm

ACvault wrote:Ok, at my high school, every time it rains we have do go to the pole vault area and bail the water out of the box. Could anyone tell me what you use to cover the box if you have this problem?

Just tell the freshman to suck it up and drain the box. Keep a gallon jug that you cut the top off, and a smaller cup near your box, and it won't take that long to drain.

Any box cover that is actually going to keep water out will probably be fairly expensive.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:24 am

Brooms work well . . .

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:05 am

vaultmd wrote:Brooms work well . . .

You'll never scoop water again if you have a broom stored under the pit. Takes 30 seconds tops.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:48 pm

As most of you know I built the mold for my box. What I did after the box was made is I cut the "box"part off of the mold and put a piece of plywood over what used to be the bottom of the mold and painted with several coats of oil based paint and yippie skippy, I've got a box cover. Perfect fit and after the snow melted off of everything up here the inside of my box was dry as a bone. Once again, just a thought. Later....Mike

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”