Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

New Mexico - Asay 4.28

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:35 pm

Big PR!

Code: Select all

Event 14  Women Pole Vault
===================================================================================
    Name                    Year Team                    Seed     Finals           
===================================================================================
  1 Asay, Erin                   Sdsu                   4.11m      4.28m   14-00.50
  2 Kubishta, April              Arizona State          4.07m      4.13m   13-06.50
  3 Walker, Cara                 Arizona State          3.95m      3.97m   13-00.25
  4 Johnson, Whitney             Univ of NM             3.95m      3.82m   12-06.25
  4 Aguilar, Angie               Abilene Christia       3.92m      3.82m   12-06.25
  4 Lonsway, Mandy               Byu                    3.80m      3.82m   12-06.25
  7 McCallister, Ashley          Byu                    3.80m     J3.82m   12-06.25
  8 Pacas, Monica                Sdsu                   3.70m      3.67m   12-00.50
  9 Iorg, Makenzie               Byu                    3.80m     J3.67m   12-00.50
 10 Furr, Kelly                  Byu                    3.80m      3.52m   11-06.50
 10 Jensen, Dana                 Sdsu                   3.55m      3.52m   11-06.50
 10 Moyeda, Kathleen             Byu                    3.50m      3.52m   11-06.50
 10 Huyge, Nicole                Univ of NM             3.40m      3.52m   11-06.50
 10 Jentsci, Shanon              Cal St. Northrid       3.65m      3.52m   11-06.50
 15 Shepard, Ashley              Byu                    3.50m      3.37m   11-00.75
 15 Shibley, Christin            Sdsu                   3.71m      3.37m   11-00.75
 15 Steliff, Stefany             Univ of NM             3.50m      3.37m   11-00.75
 15 Gilliland, Amy               Air Force              3.47m      3.37m   11-00.75
 15 Aanaerud, Danielle           Houston                3.50m      3.37m   11-00.75
 20 Fryling, Michelle            Air Force              3.35m      3.22m   10-06.75
 20 Coppin, Christa              Houston                3.50m      3.22m   10-06.75
 20 Stone, Rebecca               Air Force              3.37m      3.22m   10-06.75
 -- Wirth, Paige                 Houston                3.50m         NH           
 -- Allison, Annie               Abilene Christia       3.20m         NH           
 -- Ligon, Ashley                Houston                3.50m         NH           
 -- Burns, Mellisa               Adams State            3.35m        DNF           

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:59 pm

Saw her on the runway at Reno. She is going to jump high. One of only a handful of females in college who are capable of running >8 m/sec.

Barto

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:04 pm

http://goaztecs.collegesports.com/sport ... 06aaa.html

Erin Asay Breaks School Pole Vault Record At Albuquerque Invitational
Aztec senior automatically qualifies for NCAA meet

Feb. 11, 2006

SAN DIEGO - The San Diego State track and field team continued its indoor campaign on Saturday as senior Erin Asay (San Diego, Calif.) set a school record in the pole vault at the Albuquerque Invitational held at the ABQ Convention Center in Albuquerque, N.M. Asay won the event with a leap of 14 feet, 0.50 inches, which broke Shayla Balentine's year-old record of 14-0 set at the 2005 Mountain West Conference indoor championships.

Asay's mark also established a new MWC indoor record and automatically qualified her for next month's NCAA indoor championships in Fayetteville, Ark. Asay was victorious in the pole vault for the second straight week after capturing first place at the Mountain T's Invitational in Flagstaff, Ariz., on Feb. 4.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:36 pm

Yeah erin is a good friend of mine, this has been a long time coming for her. She is extremely hard working, and deserves her success. And i can assure all of you it will not be the best jump of her season.. just keep watching
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

SDSUErinAsay
PV Newbie

Unread postby SDSUErinAsay » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:52 am

that's me!!...it was such an awesome feeling!...i had the next bar too, which was at 4.38!!!...grrrrrr..i just broke my bottom arm too soon!...i'll get it next time :)

pelle3
PV Whiz

Unread postby pelle3 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:13 am

Vaulting Out of the Shadows
Senior bursts onto the scene after career spent out of the spotlight

By: Devin Kunysz, Assistant Sports Editor
Issue date: 2/22/06
Section: Sports

Incredible things aren't just supposed to happen. They're supposed to occur as the result of something that was planned down to the last detail.

Except in the case of San Diego State senior pole vaulter Erin Asay.

"I always knew I wanted to do track," Asay said. "But I only started doing (pole-vaulting) because coach was like, 'Hey, do you want to try pole-vaulting?'

"I never planned on being a pole-vaulter."

Luckily for Asay - and for SDSU - things don't always work out according to plan.

This season, the woman who spent her formative years running hurdles and competing in the long-jump has already broken the school's indoor record when she leaped 14 feet at the Albuquerque Invitational on Feb. 11.

"It's been like a fairy tale season," Asay said.

But the fairy tale began as anything but. At the beginning of the season, Asay was plagued by chronic back pain, so much so that she didn't know if she would finish the year.

"I was kind of freaking out," Asay said. "It was my senior year, and I wanted to go out with a bang, but I didn't know if I was going to make it."

However, after a back epidural administered on Jan. 20, the pain subsided, leaving her free to embark on what has so far been one of the finest seasons in the program's history.

And despite her success so far, she hasn't even begun the outdoor season, the real test of college track athletes.

"Most people (set personal records) in the outdoor season," Asay said. "It's when you're at your best because you're hitting your peak."

And, by the time Asay reaches her peak at the end of the season, she will likely hold the following honors: two-time All-American in both indoor and outdoor track, a program record in pole-vaulting - and quite possibly a national championship.

"I want to ultimately be a national champion," Asay said. "I know I can do it. At the end of the day it's about who wants it more, and I know I'm going to want it more than anyone else."

In high school, however, a national championship and All-American honors were the farthest thing from her mind.

"I wasn't very good (at pole vault) when I first started," Asay said. "I broke the school record early on, but that was only because it was like seven feet."

However, during her senior year, she burst onto the scene at - of all places - the CIF meet by setting a personal record more than a foot and half higher than her previous best.

"My senior year at CIF, coach was like, 'Who is that girl?'" Asay said. "I jumped like 10 feet, then 10 feet, six inches and then around 11 feet, six inches."

Asay's performance at that meet earned her a chance to compete at local Cuyamaca College, where she spent one year before being recruited to SDSU.

And once again, she was nowhere near the spotlight.

"My first year here, I was not ready for the workouts," Asay said. "They train you like an Olympian here, and I was not used to all the hard work."

But her work paid off, and she again burst onto the scene, this time in her junior season, where she finished second at the MWC Outdoor Championships.

But despite all her success, she remained in the shadows of then-senior Shayla Balentine, an All-American who finished second in the 2005 NCAA Track and Field Championships.

"I was definitely in Shayla's shadow a little bit," Asay said. "But now I get to have my turn in the spotlight."

Although it would be expected that someone with as loaded a resumé as Asay has would be all about the spotlight, she actually deflects it.

"All the credit for everything I do goes to God," Asay said. "All my accomplishments, my honors, are nothing without Him."

But no matter how much she dodges being the center of attention, it is likely to follow her the way her season has gone.

"I think after I graduate I'm going to try to get a sponsor and start training for the Olympics," Asay said.

Maybe, for once, things will go according to plan.

aztecvaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby aztecvaulter » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:59 am

http://goaztecs.collegesports.com/sport ... 06aab.html

SDSU's Erin Asay Named MWC Indoor Track Athlete Of The Week
Senior pole vaulter wins first career weekly award

Feb. 15, 2006

SAN DIEGO - San Diego State senior Erin Asay (San Diego, Calif.) has been named the Mountain West Conference women's indoor track and field athlete of the week, the league office announced Wednesday. Asay, who is being honored for the first time in her career.

Asay established a new school and conference indoor record in the pole vault at the Albuquerque Invitational on Feb. 11. She captured first place in the event with a career-best leap of 14 feet, 0.50 inches, surpassing Shayla Balentine's year-old mark of 14-0 set at the 2005 MWC indoor championships. Asay's performance was also an NCAA automatic qualifying mark and currently ranks third in the nation.

CSUSMVaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby CSUSMVaulter » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:18 am

Good Luck Erin at conference this weekend. Represent for So Cal!!
Last edited by CSUSMVaulter on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:28 pm

congrats on the first 14 foot college girl of the season
pain is only temporary victory is forever

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:29 pm

nitro wrote:congrats on the first 14 foot college girl of the season

She was the 3rd of the season actually ;)

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:28 pm

sorry it was just the last time i checked there wernt any

still a great job tho
pain is only temporary victory is forever

aztecvaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby aztecvaulter » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:10 am

Erin's 14' vault makes her the 16th Division I female collegiate vaulter to clear this benchmark all-time.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”