Whirling Fly-away

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Rhino
PV Pro

Whirling Fly-away

Unread postby Rhino » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:11 pm

I'm working with some high school vaulters in the 9 foot range. All three of them tend to swing around the pole and fly off on their backs whirling counter-clockwise like break dancers. I've tried screaming at them and pummeling them in the ribs with a crossbar, but nothing seems to help :eek: . I've watched them from behind the pit to see if they are off center on takeoff, but that isn't the case. Any ideas?

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:40 am

Sounds like they vault just like me.

I can tell you my problems, and it may apply with them as well. First off, they may not be planting with their arms extended all the way, which causes them to be inside (I come in with my arm near fully collapsed on the wrong side of the pole). That may or may not have anythign to do with the next part, butthey do that and instead of swinging foreward, they go with the pole and turning with it, and then when they throw the pole they just go with it. Instead of going with it, I throw myself off of the pole (basically) and just kind of roll...

anyways, I had this problem last year - not exactly sure what I can suggest htough.

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:53 am

Thanks. My first suspicion was that the arms were causing it, but I'm not sure they're not casting the lead knee out. I think I'll move them to the sand and let them vault for distance.

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:02 am

This could be caused by numerous different factors and could take a while to diagnose and cure. I've had several vaulters with this situation. Each of them needed to work on different parts of their take-off or swing phase.

Some possible causes:
Top arm bent
Top arm "roundhousing" when planting
Drive knee driving sideways
take-off foot not in center of runway
Leg swinging around pole
Shoulders turned at plant or during plant phase
Hips turned at plant or during plant
Both arms pulling up the pole during swing (similar to climbing a rope)

These are just a few that I can come up with off the top of my head. My advice is to get ahold of a video camera. Do a frame by frame look at every aspect through the plant and swing phases. Most importantly, be patient. They may have more then one thing causing this. Work on one thing at a time, building good mechanics from the ground up.
"Heart"

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:30 am

Try the .357 magnum - that'l work.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:52 am

I've considered that, Altius. There weren't any clowns pulling this kind of stunt back when we had piles of tires for landing pits!

Those are some good ideas, Indestructo. I can see how someone could do this swinging around a stationary firemans's pole, but it amazes me that anyone can launch himself in a circular trajectory off an unstable pole.

Vault Old School
PV Fan

Unread postby Vault Old School » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:33 am

In my experience this comes from two things. One is pulling with the top arm. The other is being so far under that they can not control where their body is going at "takeoff". It sounds to me like they are just getting ripped off the ground. Adjust their steps so they have an actual take off. Which means a little bit "outside". Of course they can always be reaching at takeoff too which they probably will for awhile because they are not used to actually jumping at takeoff. They are just used to the pole pulling them off of the ground. This is very bad and needs to be adjusted soon only because it is very dangerous for people to not be in control of their bodies while they are in the air.
Pole Vaulting isn't a sport. It's a lifestyle.

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:56 pm

Alrite, I managed to PR at sectionals on Saturday doing this, but it was so horrible. I got 10' for anyone who cares...

My main problem is that I'm inside and I come in with both (not just one) of my arms collapsed - the left so much more than the right. Its actually horrible to see in slow motion...

Regardless, my coach is trying to train me to well, not do this. He ended up building a swing which has a PVC pipe attatched to it, in which firwst you swing back and forth to get a feel of just keeping your arms out. After that, you can swing, then when you hit the end, invert - seems reasonable and it is working for one of my friends (she's still trying to not extend her arm after collapsing it after the bend) but its killing my tricep when I do it. Anyways, this is teaching me (slowly) to keep my arm extended.

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:47 pm

If these vaulters are in the 9 foot range as you stateed I am going to assume they are stiff pole vaulting. The only time I have kids who spin is when they try to push with their left arm. You can't stiff pole vault with a straight left arm. If they are bending the pole the same applies except the left arm will be straight for a moment but if it doesn't break down the swing is stoped and the vaulter spins or whips. Some times it can be that the left arm bends but doesn't go to the inside or the forearm hits the pole stopping the swing.

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:57 pm

Yeah, my wrist gets caught dead on with the pole, and that doesnt go wanywhere...either does that or goes on the outside.

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:12 pm

when i used to do that it was all becuase of my top arm
pain is only temporary victory is forever

snow26
PV Wannabe

Unread postby snow26 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:41 pm

you probably aren't having this problem anymore but if they are, i had the same problem.
I immediatley started pulling by body up and swing at takeoff, then i learned that you had to press you arms up. Reachin' fo the sky!
PR: 11'0'' - 3.35m

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”