coffee the day you compete

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

Ins0mnizac
PV Fan

coffee the day you compete

Unread postby Ins0mnizac » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:31 pm

I am goin to a meet where we compete at 830 in the morn. would it be bad to drink coffee at like 630 that day to wake me up.

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:37 pm

i rarely drink caffiene, esp. not coffee, and never the day i compete... if a dec. started at 8:30, u usually need to be up at least 3 hours before comp. so i'ld get up at 5:30 and go for a short shake up run and do some light stretching, then eat breakfast and lay down for a bit. and arrive an hour and 15 at the site and warm up depending on how i felt... never rely on a product to warm you up.
8700... mark it down

Ins0mnizac
PV Fan

Unread postby Ins0mnizac » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:00 pm

Thanks, yeah I am doing the hep at 830 and dont think i could have gotten advice from a better source

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:07 pm

wow trey, i was gonna say about the same thing. you know what they say about great minds :P

p.s. not to hijack

but was your 5.30 from 5 lefts? thats freakin beast dude!!
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

TreyDECA
PV Pro

Unread postby TreyDECA » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:00 am

VTechVaulter wrote:wow trey, i was gonna say about the same thing. you know what they say about great minds :P

p.s. not to hijack

but was your 5.30 from 5 lefts? thats freakin beast dude!!

yeah, 5. i got yanked at tyson from 6, but if i practice the next few weeks and time it up, watch your back!! congrats on the big bar and i'll see you in fayetteville.
8700... mark it down

TreyDECA
PV Pro

Unread postby TreyDECA » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:03 am

Ins0mnizac wrote:Thanks, yeah I am doing the hep at 830 and dont think i could have gotten advice from a better source

isn't that just great! :mad: meet directors never put the multi's first in comfort. that's the worst. i've done some multi's where we would finish my last race at 10pm and then have to ready to hurdle at 9am the next day. i got like 4.5 hours of sleep.

get to bed early and wake up at 6 the whole week prior, or try to. make sure you're training your body to wake up early, no need to shock it the day of when you know you're going to have to perform that early.
8700... mark it down

Jennapv
PV Fan

Unread postby Jennapv » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:40 pm

Another thing is that caffeine causes a "crash" after the period of stimulation, so you'd actually start feeling more fatigued than usual during your meet. I can never have a cup of coffee in the am on the days I jump, it makes me weak and jittery in the afternoon!
"Twenty more, Cass."

SDSUErinAsay
PV Newbie

Unread postby SDSUErinAsay » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:06 am

i always drink coffee before i compete...like about 3 cups of it!!...lol...but i drink it about 4 hours before i compete so i don't really think it affects my vaulting

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:30 am

SDSUErinAsay wrote:i always drink coffee before i compete...like about 3 cups of it!!...lol...but i drink it about 4 hours before i compete so i don't really think it affects my vaulting

Good think you are drinking it 4 hours before. If you drank it only an hour before you could possibly fail a drug test.....yes caffeine is a banned substance in the NCAA.....though only in high doses such as multiple cups of coffee in a short amount of time, Amp, or Red Bull.
Man Up and Jump

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:48 pm

VaultMarq26 wrote:
SDSUErinAsay wrote:i always drink coffee before i compete...like about 3 cups of it!!...lol...but i drink it about 4 hours before i compete so i don't really think it affects my vaulting

Good think you are drinking it 4 hours before. If you drank it only an hour before you could possibly fail a drug test.....yes caffeine is a banned substance in the NCAA.....though only in high doses such as multiple cups of coffee in a short amount of time, Amp, or Red Bull.

you could get away with 4 cups of coffee. the NCAA limit is 15 milligrams per litre in your sample. if a 150 pound person drank 4 cups, it would put them at about 12 mg/L (or the legal limit for IAAF and USATF).

this is a fun little read about caffeine:

http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/Caffeine2.htm

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:12 pm

good stuff....I never was sure what the actual numbers were when it came to coffee
Man Up and Jump

Return to “Pole Vault - College”