The Best Books And Videos For Training?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Quietwriter
PV Newbie

The Best Books And Videos For Training?

Unread postby Quietwriter » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:03 pm

I am a geezer! 47 years young and have not jumped since High School. There are so many books and videos out there on drills and technique that naturally I am confused. Which is the best route to go? Are there any clinics that are specifically designed for the ancient?
"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:48 pm

You live in Boston right? I know there's a camp that Brad Bowery runs called the New England Pole vault Club. I think his practices are at MIT. If you wanna go farther from Boston there's the Patriot Pole Vault Club in Westborough. Coach there is Doug Lang he's great. (He's my coach)

http://www.nepolevault.com/

http://www.patriotpv.com

Vault Old School
PV Fan

Unread postby Vault Old School » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:49 am

Beginner to Bubka-Buy it on Neovault.com This is seriously the best produced, written and well thought out book on pole vaulting technique ever. Ever! This book has completely changed how I approach the event. Get it and read it like it's the bible of your event. It will help a lot.
Pole Vaulting isn't a sport. It's a lifestyle.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:03 pm

While you are at it, buy the CD also. It really helps seeing video of the drills the book describes. I got back into vaulting about 3 years ago after a 35 year hiatus. The techniques taught in B to B just make sense to my mechanical engineering mind and I continue to work on those techniques at every exercise workout or vault practice. I'm not saying you will be able to do everything right away, but you will learn and understand what you are trying to do.

If you can, video your workouts, drills and practices and compare them to what you see on the CD video.

Good luck and vault safe and vault high. And one more very important "attitude" thing: When you say geezer, say it with pride!

- master

Quietwriter
PV Newbie

Thanks for all your help and energy!

Unread postby Quietwriter » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:07 am

The Bubka book is on the way and I Geeze with Pride!
"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

when do I start

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:31 pm

As one of the older geezers welcome back!!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”