Preparing for a meet

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Flying D
PV Fan

Preparing for a meet

Unread postby Flying D » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:06 am

hey everyone i just got a question to throw out to everyone, any suggestions or comments would be great.

Ok heres the situation. I prepare well for a meet in my mind and eat and do everything right the night before, and when i get to the meet i have a lot of energy. But a lot of times ill do run throughs and feel great, then ill have down time for a while, and when it gets time to come in at my height, ill feel tired and weak. This has effected me slightly, and almost made me no height last meet. Anyone have any advice on how to stay energized right before jumping?

Thanks
John
"How high you go depends on how hard you try"

CSUSMVaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby CSUSMVaulter » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:40 am

Crank some metal in the ipod.

youbebosley
PV Beginner

Unread postby youbebosley » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:16 am

a lot of caffeine

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:35 am

Stay hydrated.

Flying D
PV Fan

Unread postby Flying D » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:58 pm

lol thanks for the tips guys. i stay very hydrated and drink a lot of water all the time. as for caffine i have been told to stay away from that. but if i do take something with caffine how long should it be before i vault to do so?

thanks
john
"How high you go depends on how hard you try"

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:19 am

I always sipped a gatorade throughout warmups and then snacked ojn some strawberry fruit snacks for some sugar (that or oranges give quick energy).

Kepp an active mind during your waiting time to help keep up, a lot is mental...
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:47 am

I'm guessing you come in at a later height than most vaulters which is why you are sitting around for so long. This happened to me a lot last year and some meets I felt just as tired as you do, especially if I had to run another event during that time. First thing to do is to get in better condition. Run 200s or whatever else you feel like during to build more endurence, secondly make sure to warm up fully before you finally jump. Do a few laps, drills, sprints, just make sure to warm up. Most of the time I felt lethargic was just because I had cooled down too much during the meet.

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:48 am

I see the warm up in two different stages. being ready to go before physically and mentally before you start your warm ups and before you actually jump in competition. everyone should have a set routine that they do to warm up before a meet.

the big problem for me is when to start warming up again between warm ups and the actual comp. you need to get your body moving at full speed before you get your run throughs or first vault in competition. if you take your run throughs or first jump cold, you are making your self in a bad situation for clearing your first bar on your first jump!

i always do FULL SPEED buildups/sprints and some pen ultimate drills right before i am on the runway again.

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:28 pm

SKOT wrote:I see the warm up in two different stages. being ready to go before physically and mentally before you start your warm ups and before you actually jump in competition. everyone should have a set routine that they do to warm up before a meet.

the big problem for me is when to start warming up again between warm ups and the actual comp. you need to get your body moving at full speed before you get your run throughs or first vault in competition. if you take your run throughs or first jump cold, you are making your self in a bad situation for clearing your first bar on your first jump!

i always do FULL SPEED buildups/sprints and some pen ultimate drills right before i am on the runway again.

SKOT... specifically, what do you do before you vault during meets?

S.Parkin
PV Newbie

Unread postby S.Parkin » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:36 pm

I think you should eat a lot of carbs so you have energy for a while, and try to conserve some energy while you're waiting, then before you go maybe do a few light sprint drills.

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:53 am

stay outta the sun if yer waiting for a while!!!!!!

PVgoalie101
PV Pro

Unread postby PVgoalie101 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:28 am

good point about the sun. my coach flipped about that at our conference meet last year. thank goodness for the few random trees by the pit :D
Save a pole, ride a vaulter

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”