What's the overall best school to vault at?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

PV Knox
PV Beginner

Unread postby PV Knox » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:24 pm

jp1667 wrote:I remember UNC Chapel Hill having a decent vaulting crew back in early 90s with Coach Dennis Craddock. They had about 4-5 vaulters over 18' - one of them I knew was a walk-on who only heighted 12-6 in HS near me and then progressed to 18'+ by their Jr college years.

And I'm sure their track facilities are still pretty impressive too with the baby blue runway =)

No doubt the baby blue runway is pimp, but nothing beats the solid orange runway with the orange pole vault pit with a big tiger paw on the top. I like UNC's indoor runway tho.

Erin_Shafer
PV Newbie

Unread postby Erin_Shafer » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:37 pm

Hey, you all!!!
I'll represent the coaches that I've been with, cause I know they are the best, because of the results that I had.

Pat Lacari- University of Washington
He was my club coach back in high school

Rick Baggett-Willamette Striders
He was my college Coach.

I don't need to say anymore, cause you can see the overall results with myself and other athletes that the taught.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:25 pm

jp1667 wrote:I remember UNC Chapel Hill having a decent vaulting crew back in early 90s with Coach Dennis Craddock. They had about 4-5 vaulters over 18' - one of them I knew was a walk-on who only heighted 12-6 in HS near me and then progressed to 18'+ by their Jr college years.

And I'm sure their track facilities are still pretty impressive too with the baby blue runway =)

Only 18'er I ever heard of from UNC is Kevin Brown then it was Brent Calloway w/17'10.5" and Shannon Pope (who was PV coach there for a while) with like 17'7". I could be wrong though.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:19 pm

achtungpv wrote:

Only 18'er I ever heard of from UNC is Kevin Brown then it was Brent Calloway w/17'10.5" and Shannon Pope (who was PV coach there for a while) with like 17'7". I could be wrong though.

Sounds about right. My high school coach, coached kevin brown in high school and shannon pope holds his backyard record at 17'6. Not sure how high Kevin McGorty jumped as a decathlete while he was there, but I want to say it was in at least the high 17's. I could be wrong.
Last edited by Vault&Flip on Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:38 pm

The best school to vault at has to be Tenneessee hands down. The mens program is by far the best in the country year in year out. The womens program is good also and improving as time goes on. Not to mention it is a great college town alot of support.

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:54 pm

achtungpv wrote:

Little Side note, My coach vaulted for UNC as a decathalete and jumped 17 6, Kevin McGorty
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

CooperPV
PV Wannabe
Expertise: College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Don Cooper

Unread postby CooperPV » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:56 pm

i noticed New Mexico and BYU wern't even mentioned they have produced some success thus far in indoor
It's just you and the bar

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:04 pm

ha ha... I was just about to say... BYU is by far the best. I know both mens and womens coaches. They are awesome. They are both going to go HUGE this year. just you wait...
Just you wait...

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:28 pm

There is a lot more to pole vaulting than the coaches. If you don't like the institution that you are jumping for, there is no point in being there. If you dont fit in with the team and the school, you need to find somewhere else to be.

There is a lot of talk about big D1 schools on here, but there are a bunch of wonderful smaller schools that are still very competitive. Two that come to mind rather quickly are Hope College (where I go) and North Central College. Both have good coaches and are good places to learn to jump higher!

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:39 pm

UW-Lacrosse is another
Man Up and Jump

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:18 pm

VaultMarq26 wrote:UW-Lacrosse is another

Do they have a coach? I talked to a girl from there and it seemed like they were just coaching each other.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:01 am

they may have had a recent coaching change....i knwo 2 or 3 years ago they had a handful of good vaulters including Hans Schmitt....but even then i don't knwo about a coach
Man Up and Jump

Return to “Pole Vault - College”