Class of 2006 Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:52 am

From Dyestat:

FL : Kennedy, Caroline, Boone, -- pole vault -- to Clemson
FL : Mulkey, Brianna, Boone, Orlando -- pole vault -- to South Florida

Caseman33
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.38
Favorite Vaulter: Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby Caseman33 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:05 am

UCLA
Last edited by Caseman33 on Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"the weak survive only if the strong are weaker" -N. Paul Todd

Caseman33
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.38
Favorite Vaulter: Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby Caseman33 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:05 am

YEY its me and my bro!

http://uclabruins.collegesports.com/spo ... 05aab.html

Venegas Announces Three More Early Letter-of-Intent Signees
Standout thrower and two decathletes will join the Bruins in Fall of 2006

Nov. 14, 2005

Head UCLA Men's Track Coach Art Venegas announced the additional signing of three student-athletes to National Letters-of-Intent during the early signing period. Standout shot put and discus thrower Bo Taylor (Newport Harbor) and twin decathletes Casey and Scott DiCesare (Irvinton, NY/Irvington HS) will join an already stellar crop of recruits for the Bruin track team.

Bo Taylor of Newport Harbor HS (Newport Beach, CA) is the No. 7 returning senior in the nation in the discus (185-9) and the No. 9 returning senior in the country in the shot put (59-5). He is also the No. 2 returning shot putter and No. 3 returning discus thrower in the state. Taylor is a tremendous athlete and product of the great Tony Ciarelli program at Newport Harbor High School.

Taylor will create a triple event threat in the future for the Bruins competing in the shot, discus and hammer," said Venegas. "We are really pleased to have gotten Bo because we believe he will be a spectacular performer in the future."

Twin brothers Casey and Scott DiCesare will come to Westwood after competing in the decathlon and pole vault for Irvington HS in New York.

In an effort to upgrade our decathlon program, we went all the way to the east coast to pick up these two extremely promisting brothers," noted Venegas. "Both of these athletes have incredible ability and will benefit the multi's program next year and for years to come."

In all, the Bruins signed eight talented athletes during the early signing period - two of the top hurdlers in the nation, David Klech and Darius Reed, jumper Steven Taylor, throwers Nick Robinson and Bo Taylor, pole vaulter Greg Woepse and decathletes Casey and Scott DiCesare.
"the weak survive only if the strong are weaker" -N. Paul Todd

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:28 pm

http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/news ... 8632&rfi=6

Laurel Highlands senior Jared Jodon will urther his academic and athletic careers at Virginia Tec next fall on an athletic scholarship for track, where e competes in the p

Jodon (seated, center) is shown as he signs on with the Hokies. Jodon is flanked by his mother, Lynette Jodon, and his father, Dr. Thomas Jodon. Others at the signing are (standing, from left) Laurel Highlands boys track coach Bob Costello, assistant football coach Chris Edenfield, Jodon's brother, Tyler Jodon, a friend Lauren Molchan, family friend Ceil Harmon, his brother, Austin Jodon, a family friend Larry Doolittle, and Laurel Highlands High School Principal John Diamond.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:33 pm

http://www.cstv.com/sports/c-track/stor ... 05aam.html

Prep All-Americans Hooks, Roth Headline Early UW Track Signees

Shot putter Whitney Hooks and pole vaulter Scott Roth are among America's top high school seniors.
Nov. 21, 2005

SEATTLE - Prep All-Americans Whitney Hooks of Everett and Scott Roth of Granite Bay, Calif., are among seven high-school seniors who have signed letters of intent to attend the University of Washington in 2006, head coach Greg Metcalf announced Monday.

The seven, which include five women's distance runners, one women's thrower and one men's pole vaulter, are the only student-athletes expected to sign with Washington during the early signing period, which began Nov. 9.

Headlining the class are shot putter Hooks and pole vaulter Roth, each of whom ranked among the top preps in the nation in 2005.

Also coming to Washington is Roth, who joins a Husky pole vault unit that has seen at least one UW vaulter win an NCAA title in each of the past three seasons. The nation's top-ranked prep vaulter as a junior in 2005, Roth won the gold medal at the 2005 USA Youth Outdoor National Championships, and was the silver medalist at the 2005 IAAF World Youth Games in Marrakech, Morrocco. Roth's best mark of 17-2 ¾ during the 2005 outdoor season ranked fourth in the IAAF's World Youth Rankings, and would have earned the high-school junior eighth place at the 2005 NCAA Championships.

"The unprecedented success that our pole vaulters have enjoyed over the past 3-4 seasons has really made Washington the place to be in this country for collegiate vaulters," Metcalf said,"and having someone of Scott's ability and character want to join our team just confirms that. He's gone higher at this point in his career than [former Husky and two-time NCAA champion] Brad Walker had, so if he can make the same kinds of improvements with [assistant coach] Pat Licari, it's exciting to consider how good he could be."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:36 pm

http://ucla.scout.com/2/469676.html

CASEY & SCOTT DICESARE, Decathlon, Irvington HS in Irvington, NY…Both are excellent all-around athletes that are over 15 feet in the pole vault and have good jumping marks also.

GREG WOEPSE, Pole Vault, Mater Dei HS in Santa Ana, CA…Won the CIF Masters Meet at 16-0 last year and CIF Division 2 Championships… Finished season as #7 high school pole vaulter in the nation…His sister Elizabeth is a pole vaulter for the UCLA women's team.

VICTORIA PENA, Pole Vault, Edison HS in Huntington Beach, CA…CIF Division 2 Champion last year, who had one of nation's best marks at 13-2...Regarded as #1 recruit in the West in this event.

LINDSAY REGAN, Pole Vault, Easton Area HS in Easton, PA…#1 ranked returning pole vaulter in the nation…Holds Pennsylvania outdoor record at 13-6 and also holds the indoor record…From pole vaulting family…Her sister Courtney competes for Princeton and another older sister started in track and also pole vaults.

trackris24
PV Newbie

Unread postby trackris24 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:55 pm

Mecham wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:Kristen Keith of Texas signed with Oklahoma today.
Quite the looker ;)

haha gee thanks ;)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:43 am

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/content/ ... notes.html

TCU signs Rockdale pole vaulter

Since her freshman season at Rockdale, Leslie Starnes has been one of the premier pole vaulters in Central Texas.

Starnes, a senior, will compete during her next freshman season with the TCU Horned Frogs. She has signed a letter of intent with the Mountain West school. Starnes vaulted 12-3 to take second place in Class 3A at the UIL State Track Meet last May. She is the all-time Central Texas record holder in the event.

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:34 pm

I'll second the notion that she's quite the looker based soully on her profile picture. I'm glad our sport is becoming famous for the most attrative females on the track!!
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:59 am

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/st ... 4427c.html

Granite Bay pole vaulter Scott Roth, a two-time state champion, will compete for the University of Washington.

Sacramento Bee/Randall Benton
Roth clears college decision
By Bill Paterson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Thursday, December 8, 2005
Story appeared in South placer roseville section, Page G8
Despite being one of the world's best young pole vaulters, Scott Roth found college track and field recruiting a towering learning process.

Roth, the 2005 IAAF World Youth Games silver medalist in July in Morocco, received a big surprise when courted by recruiters from UCLA, Cal, Stanford and USC. Not one offered a full-ride athletic scholarship, something the Granite Bay High School senior figured he earned with a remarkable junior season that also included winning his second CIF state track and field championship and the gold medal in the 2005 USA Youth Outdoor Championships.

"Cal and UCLA offered me a half-ride, Stanford somewhere between a third and a half-ride, and USC wanted me to walk on," Roth said. "I figured that all the work I put into pole vaulting would get me a scholarship anywhere."

Sell It Yourself
But coaches at those Pacific-10 Conference schools explained that full scholarships go only to those who can score in multi-events.

"I saw where they were coming from," Roth said.

So Roth went in a different direction - northward - and the senior feels he made out pretty well.

Roth still will compete in the Pacific-10 next fall. And he'll do it on a full ride after signing a letter of intent recently to attend the University of Washington.

But Roth considers the Huskies to be the grand reward, not a consolation prize. The 5-foot-10 Roth figures he struck gold because former Husky Brad Walker, the top-ranked vaulter in the world this year with a personal-best 19 feet, 6 3/4 inches and a two-time NCAA indoor champion, still trains at the Seattle school.

"Washington came into the picture only about two months ago," Roth said. "I took an official visit and really liked the team and the school and the coaches.

"They have a great indoor facility, and I won't go wrong by having the chance to train with the No. 1 vaulter in the world."

Washington coach Greg Metcalf said having Roth makes sense for a program that has excelled under pole vault coach Pat Licari.

"The unprecedented success that our pole vaulters have enjoyed over the past three to four seasons has really made Washington the place to be in this country for collegiate vaulters," Metcalf said in a release announcing the signing. "And having someone of Scott's ability and character want to join our team confirms that."

Metcalf said Roth has gone higher (17-2 3/4) at this point in his career than Walker. The mark, set in the World Youth Championships, helped earn Roth fourth in this year's final IAAF World Youth Rankings.

Roth expects to be challenged by those on the Washington roster.

Junior Lee McKane of Arlington, Wash., has a personal best of 17-3 indoors, and Scott Finley, a freshman from Granite Hills in east San Diego County, is an old high school rival.

"There are other good vaulters there," Roth said. "There will be someone to chase."

Although he has a scholarship locked up, Roth said his senior goals remain lofty. No. 1 is trying to break Tommy Skipper's national high school record of 18-3 set in Sacramento two years ago. Second is to make the IAAF World Junior Games this summer in Beijing. He also hopes to win a third consecutive state championship.

"I'm still gung-ho," Roth said. "I'm training harder than ever, and you have to at this level. You never know when someone is going to come out of the woodwork and take your place."

His workouts include once-to twice-weekly sessions with plyometrics guru Dave Warner of Rocklin and a weightlifting class at Granite Bay. He also continues to train in the back-yard facility rigged up by his father, Curt.

"I hope to be consistently jumping at 17-3 when the season starts," Roth said.

Roth, who plans to take predentistry classes at Washington, admits he is taking it a little easier in the classroom his senior year. He said his 4.26 grade-point average last year ranked among the top 10 in his class, but he'll give ground this year because he is taking only one Advanced Placement class.

"I'm being realistic," Roth said. "It was tough last year being a top-performing athlete and having one of the highest GPAs in a school like Granite Bay.

"I don't want to burn out on training and studying. I've got college ahead of me."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:01 am

http://mississippistate.scout.com/2/476106.html

Alabama Standout Rose on Board with MSU Track

By MSU Media Relations

Date: Dec 8, 2005

STARKVILLE, Miss. - Mississippi State University head track and field coach Al Schmidt has announced the signing of Leeds (Ala.) High School standout Bridgette Rose to a national-letter-of-intent.

As a hurdler and sprinter, Rose will work closely with assistant coach Kurt Thomas who oversees those events.

"Bridgett is the top sprinter in Alabama and is a tremendous signing for us to add to our sprint and hurdle group, as well as our outstanding signing class," Thomas said. "She is a tremendous athlete who comes from a great family, so adding her to our family is very exciting. I can't wait to work with her in the fall."

As a prep at LHS, Rose won the Alabama High School Athletic Association's Class 3A state championship in the 300-meter hurdles as a sophomore and junior, the 100-meter dash title as a junior and the pole vault as a junior.

She was awarded the Best Performance Award for indoor track and the Most Valuable Player award as a junior. The past three seasons, she has been an all-County selection. Her personal records are all state records in their respective events - 100-meter hurdles (14.23), 300-meter hurdles (44.71), 100-meter dash (11.93) and pole vault (9-6).

At the 2005 Nike Nationals, Rose competed in the 100-meter hurdles and 100- and 200-meter dashes. In 2004, she ran the 100- and 400-meter hurdles and 4x400-meter relay at the Amateur Athletic Union's National Club Championships.

In addition to track, Rose was a three-year member of the volleyball team where she served as team captain. She was named MVP of the squad her senior season.

Rose sings in her church choir and was named to the Honor Roll. As a member of the Student Government Association, she volunteers with various community service projects. The most recent service project she participated in was "Jeans for Teens" designed to collect jeans and clothing items for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

The daughter of Ayanna and Terrence, Rose is undecided on her major.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:22 pm

Scotty Roth commits:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/community_news/roseville/story/13949775p-14784427c.html

This story is taken from Roseville at sacbee.com.

By Bill Paterson -- Bee Staff Writer

Published 2:15 am PST Thursday, December 8, 2005

Despite being one of the world's best young pole vaulters, Scott Roth found college track and field recruiting a towering learning process.

Roth, the 2005 IAAF World Youth Games silver medalist in July in Morocco, received a big surprise when courted by recruiters from UCLA, Cal, Stanford and USC. Not one offered a full-ride athletic scholarship, something the Granite Bay High School senior figured he earned with a remarkable junior season that also included winning his second CIF state track and field championship and the gold medal in the 2005 USA Youth Outdoor Championships.

"Cal and UCLA offered me a half-ride, Stanford somewhere between a third and a half-ride, and USC wanted me to walk on," Roth said. "I figured that all the work I put into pole vaulting would get me a scholarship anywhere."

But coaches at those Pacific-10 Conference schools explained that full scholarships go only to those who can score in multi-events.

"I saw where they were coming from," Roth said.

So Roth went in a different direction - northward - and the senior feels he made out pretty well.

Roth still will compete in the Pacific-10 next fall. And he'll do it on a full ride after signing a letter of intent recently to attend the University of Washington.

But Roth considers the Huskies to be the grand reward, not a consolation prize. The 5-foot-10 Roth figures he struck gold because former Husky Brad Walker, the top-ranked vaulter in the world this year with a personal-best 19 feet, 6 3/4 inches and a two-time NCAA indoor champion, still trains at the Seattle school.

"Washington came into the picture only about two months ago," Roth said. "I took an official visit and really liked the team and the school and the coaches.

"They have a great indoor facility, and I won't go wrong by having the chance to train with the No. 1 vaulter in the world."

Washington coach Greg Metcalf said having Roth makes sense for a program that has excelled under pole vault coach Pat Licari.

"The unprecedented success that our pole vaulters have enjoyed over the past three to four seasons has really made Washington the place to be in this country for collegiate vaulters," Metcalf said in a release announcing the signing. "And having someone of Scott's ability and character want to join our team confirms that."

Metcalf said Roth has gone higher (17-2 3/4) at this point in his career than Walker. The mark, set in the World Youth Championships, helped earn Roth fourth in this year's final IAAF World Youth Rankings.

Roth expects to be challenged by those on the Washington roster.

Junior Lee McKane of Arlington, Wash., has a personal best of 17-3 indoors, and Scott Finley, a freshman from Granite Hills in east San Diego County, is an old high school rival.

"There are other good vaulters there," Roth said. "There will be someone to chase."

Although he has a scholarship locked up, Roth said his senior goals remain lofty. No. 1 is trying to break Tommy Skipper's national high school record of 18-3 set in Sacramento two years ago. Second is to make the IAAF World Junior Games this summer in Beijing. He also hopes to win a third consecutive state championship.

"I'm still gung-ho," Roth said. "I'm training harder than ever, and you have to at this level. You never know when someone is going to come out of the woodwork and take your place."

His workouts include once-to twice-weekly sessions with plyometrics guru Dave Warner of Rocklin and a weightlifting class at Granite Bay. He also continues to train in the back-yard facility rigged up by his father, Curt.

"I hope to be consistently jumping at 17-3 when the season starts," Roth said.

Roth, who plans to take predentistry classes at Washington, admits he is taking it a little easier in the classroom his senior year. He said his 4.26 grade-point average last year ranked among the top 10 in his class, but he'll give ground this year because he is taking only one Advanced Placement class.

"I'm being realistic," Roth said. "It was tough last year being a top-performing athlete and having one of the highest GPAs in a school like Granite Bay.

"I don't want to burn out on training and studying. I've got college ahead of me."

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”