All-Americans

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

amhsVault89
PV Newbie

All-Americans

Unread postby amhsVault89 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:01 pm

how do you become an all american? is it only one person per year in each event in each division? or does it get voted on? or do you have to jump a certian height? i was just curious, i was surfing the web and found a girl that got 12 all-american honors in 2 years at a 2-year college. was she the best in the division in 6 different events both years, or dont you have the be the best. i dont understand how the all-american thing works. can someone explain?

Gracias!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:52 pm

Are you talking about high school or college?

padow
PV Beginner

Unread postby padow » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:06 pm

The girl at the two year college was probably a sprinter. She could've been in the top three in two individual events and a relay both indoors and outdoors. The NJCAA (2 year schools) gives first team, second team, and honorable mention all america awards. High school has various ways to earn all america status and is usually givin to about three athletes per event.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:40 pm

is it possible that they counted indoor and outdoor all american....then it is only 3 events in indoor and 3 in outdoor each year...a lot more reasonable
Man Up and Jump

amhsVault89
PV Newbie

Unread postby amhsVault89 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:16 am

oh i see, i mean college. im prolly going to a 2-year college when i graduate. so first team AA is the best vaulter in the division, 2nd team AA is the 2nd best, and honorable mention is 3rd? does that go by your PR for the year, or does it go by what you jump in nationals?

thanks guys!

padow
PV Beginner

Unread postby padow » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:27 pm

what you jump at nationals.

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:13 pm

D-I schools is the top 8 performers at NCAAs, then you do a count back after the non-americans are taken out. so if you finish 10th, but there are two foreign collegians ahead of you, you're an "All-American". So in a very hypothetical situation: all top 8 are non-US citizens, then the next 8 are, all 16 would be All-Americans. correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

i know that most conferences, the SEC for sure, does a First team and Second team and the winner is on the first team and so on.
8700... mark it down

TB

Unread postby TB » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:58 pm

TreyDECA wrote:D-I schools is the top 8 performers at NCAAs, then you do a count back after the non-americans are taken out. so if you finish 10th, but there are two foreign collegians ahead of you, you're an "All-American". So in a very hypothetical situation: all top 8 are non-US citizens, then the next 8 are, all 16 would be All-Americans. correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

That is correct.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:00 pm

NAIA top 6 indoors and outdoor nationals are all american, doesn't matter if some are foreign.

amhsVault89
PV Newbie

Unread postby amhsVault89 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:32 pm

i understand now, thanks guys. there are also all-world people right? does it go lower, like All-Texan, or All-Oklahoman? i thought i heard of that before, probably not with the NJCAA though right?

padow
PV Beginner

Unread postby padow » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:34 pm

Perhaps you or thinking about "all conference". The all world thing I am pretty sure does not exist in track and field.

polevaultdad
PV Nerd

Unread postby polevaultdad » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:12 pm

A few of the top Track and Field Magazines pick High School All American teams. Much of it is based on the end of the year meets, such as the Golden West, Nike, Jr. Nationals, JO's etc. Some is based on head to head.

The top finishers at Jr Nationals are labeled All Americans by USATF.

TheWorld level stuff is done by IAAF as best I can tell.

The State level recognition comes from folks like Dyestat or from the State level organization such as CIF here in CA.

JuCo has a couple of different organizations and each college level has theirs, such as NAIA, NCCAA, NCAA D1, D2, D3.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”