News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

hallvaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Need college advice

Unread postby hallvaulter » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:55 pm

do you guys think its ok to email a head coach and ask for more information on a school?
if so, how do you ask, should i write formally or just like i would to anyone esle
the school i am looking into right now is Azusa Pacific, i really want to go to a christian college, and even though they are not division 1, they are a strong competitor in the NAIA division, i want to know if the school has any interest in vaulters, and what kind of coaching there is for vaulters.
Azusa seems really neat and i just dont know how to approach anything college related, I am a junior at Homestead Highschool in Fort Wayne, IN.
I have jumped 16' numerous times and had a summer best of 16'6''. Is this stuff i should include, i dont really know what i want to major in.

Any help would be appreciated. :D
Thanks,
Hunter
Coach Bob Phillips

lonestar
PV Lover

Re: help me please...

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:24 pm

hallvaulter wrote:do you guys think its ok to email a head coach and ask for more information on a school?
if so, how do you ask, should i write formally or just like i would to anyone esle
the school i am looking into right now is Azusa Pacific, i really want to go to a christian college, and even though they are not division 1, they are a strong competitor in the NAIA division, i want to know if the school has any interest in vaulters, and what kind of coaching there is for vaulters.
Azusa seems really neat and i just dont know how to approach anything college related, I am a junior at Homestead Highschool in Fort Wayne, IN.
I have jumped 16' numerous times and had a summer best of 16'6''. Is this stuff i should include, i dont really know what i want to major in.

Any help would be appreciated. :D
Thanks,
Hunter

Have you considered Abilene Christian University? Don D. Hood is the head coach and vault coach, and well as his father, Don Sr. Great coaches, great tradition of vaulters (Billy Olson, Brad Pursley, Tim Bright, Dale Jenkins).
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

hallvaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby hallvaulter » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:49 pm

ill check it out, thanks !!!
still need help on how to write though... :dazed:
Coach Bob Phillips

thaone600
PV Nerd

hey

Unread postby thaone600 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:12 am

hey man ya you should include everything that you said but ya be formal with him dont act like some gangsta that wants to go to a christian school show that you are a nice person so they would be more interested

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:04 am

Yeah, formal letters are nice to get.... with stats.
Just you wait...

hallvaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby hallvaulter » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:19 pm

Okay, Hunter will probably kill me for this and I don't even know if I know how to put this post up....but....I wanted to reply to Lonestar. I am Hunter's mom...yes, the mom. We are actually Texas natives. Hunter's dad vaulted against Billy, Brad and some of the others at ACC. Hunter's dad would just die if he chose ACC over Texas A&M! (Even though we are very familiar with the sucesses of the Hood coaching family!) I was just browsing all the posts this evening and thought it was funny how Hunter was "college hunting." Of course, even with Hunter's stats so far and with his dad being an All American and SWC champion for Texas A&M, they are one university that we have NOT heard from. Anyway, it is good to see the Texas dialogue between you and Hunter's coach. Best wishes to your vaulters. Randy would like to bring Hunter to Texas Relays this next April but we are still trying to figure out if we are eligible to do that with our State's rules. Maybe we will see you there!
Coach Bob Phillips

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:52 am

lol :yes:
Just you wait...

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:56 am

Contacting a coach and showing interest could be one of the best things to do.

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:14 pm

Hey Hunter...

I saw you vault at the Grand Haven Beach Vault. I am from Bethel College in Mishawaka. You should check us out. I am a sophomore here and have a PR of 16-5, even though I jumped 16-4 in high school. We did not have a coach my Freshman year here, but we have a very good coach in Danny Wilkerson, coach Shank knows who he is. You might want to try contacting Bethel and Coach Natali if you are interested. We are looking for guy vaulters for the future too, and we would love to have someone with your talent here as well! The website for Bethel is www.bethelcollege.edu/sports. Just a thought!

Good luck this season!
Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

Caseman33
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.38
Favorite Vaulter: Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby Caseman33 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:56 am

if u email them ur prs and questions. If u jump 16 feet theres no way they can ignore you. And trust me they will answer your questions. You may also want to consider giving the head coach or their pole vault coach a call and get them interested in you.
"the weak survive only if the strong are weaker" -N. Paul Todd

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:43 pm

If you have a good video of your jumping that might be a good thing to send along with you letters. .....Later.......Mike

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

email

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:41 pm

Here at the University of Tennessee (at least the women's program) the head coach gets hundreds of email daily. This is probably the least effective way to get noticed. Those that rise to a level of awareness are those who send a video, CD, DVD or some visual along with a cover letter. These CD's can look pretty polished and some look like they came from a marketing company!! For the vault the head coach doesn't evaluate the media, or other correspondance. Instead, he gives all of the material that he receives to me for evaluation. You can also contact the pv coach directly to see how they evaluate the athletes. Calling the coach has also proven to be effective at this institute!

Return to “Pole Vault - College”