DOES IT MATTER?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

nessa_pv
PV Beginner

DOES IT MATTER?

Unread postby nessa_pv » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:27 pm

Okay well last year I pole vaulted but instead of picking up th pole I drag it. I think It makes me run faster like that and it helped me get a little more air in my jump..so I just want to know if picking the pole up matter as opposed to draging it....I want to do as good as I can so can I get a lil help..
:heart: nessa

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:28 pm

Like the push plant that becca does?
Just you wait...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:21 pm

It is good to learn how to carry the pole. You might go to a meet at a school that has a bad runway or a lip on the box which will prevent you from carrying it.

I agree with lonestar that you should look up a club or camp in Texas. We can try to give you advice on here, but nothing beats actually jumping with a knowledgable coach!

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:50 pm

Pushing or sliding (never dragging) the pole is a good way to learn how to pole vault, especially if you don't get a lot of practice time. With enough time to practice though, you should aim to carry the pole for the reasons Rainbow mentioned, as well as the benefits you can reap from an effective pole drop. I fully support pushing the pole, AND I fully support carrying the pole, and all things being equal, think you should carry the pole, but all things not being equal, use whichever technique works better for you in your situation (coaching, pole selection, facilities, etc)
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

meg15078
PV Whiz

Unread postby meg15078 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:13 am

at our school they make us pick up the pole when were vaulting but on our warm ups they make us drag the pole

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:03 pm

drag - to pull or draw along the ground by force. To cause to TRAIL along the ground

push - to exert force against an object to move it AWAY; press FORWARD

slide - to move in smooth, continuous contact with a surface

I have yet to see anyone drag a pole down the runway behind them and pull off a vault. I have seen some pretty good vaults with people pushing or sliding the pole in front of them down the runway.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Antihero43
PV Fan

Unread postby Antihero43 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:25 pm

when the dictionary comes in handy.
"Our Greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall"

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”