who do you guys think the best pv coach is??????

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

jryland
PV Wannabe

Unread postby jryland » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:40 pm

ah come on trey!! almost every time Earl coaches me hes got a big dip in the lip!! athough i do agree that lonnie is a GREAT coach
anyways..
i have to give my shout out to the MAIN MAN in this great sport to the amazing Ear Bell he blows my mind every time i watch him coach there is so much wisdom in that man not only in the pole vault but also in life and ALL the gray area in between but also on the other hand it pumps me up to read every post on here that gives main props to there coach thats definelty the main ingredient in coaching is having an athlete that TRUSTS every decision
The moment never lies

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:09 pm

I was not around Earl long enough to say he was the best coach of all time, but I do know the environment he made down there is the best you can find. No where ive been to vault or not has come close to what Earl has working in Arkansas and i was only there 4 days.
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

pvkellie
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former professional pole vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'4

Unread postby pvkellie » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:30 pm

Hands down Earl. Just in case you didn't get a count of the last Olympic team, he had three of the six, yeah that's half of the team. Two in 2000. O'yah, he has the American Record holder, five Olmpians, two fifteen footers, several 14fts, several 19ftrs , first American to jump six meters, and in the Olympic Trails alone he had ten pole vaulters; six that made the final. I could really go on, but Brucie said it best, he teaches about the pole vault. You are not just a robot being told what to do. He teaches you about why you make changes with your pole, grip, moving back to a longer run, how your poles are made, flex numbers, how to purchase a pole, etc. He is by far the most knowlegeable and in depth in his coaching. He keeps it simple and it just adds up! I am not saying that there aren't good coaches out there, I just think as an all around coach and producing quality vaulters, he might be the Bella Karoli of pole vault( not sure about the spelling on the name)

I am a bit confused, someone said something about Stephanie Maughmn, is she still pving? i haven't seen her vault since she left Jonesboro?

Hands down, Earl's the s***!

drvaulter
PV Newbie

best coach ?

Unread postby drvaulter » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:46 pm

i would have to say " DON HOOD"

fieldguy
PV Newbie

Unread postby fieldguy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:35 pm

it appears you're talking strictly american coaches? otherwise, someone would have mentioned that vitaly petrov had a bronze medalist in gibilisco in athens and, of course, helped make bubka the best ever.

pvkellie
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former professional pole vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'4

Unread postby pvkellie » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:58 am

he also helps Monika Pyrek!

opalkak
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.45m

Unread postby opalkak » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:58 pm

Tatiana G., Monika, Anna R., Gibilisco are some of the athletes I saw training with Vitali this summer, who knows how many others spend a month at a time with him, or have camps with him throughout the year.
...success is doing what you can do well and doing well whatever you can do

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:32 am

Hey

I have to agree with Kelly…. Earl, hands down.. for this day and age…

But Rick Baggett and a few others are definitely all making their mark…

But… I want to expound on this subject….. Just like I have on several other subjects …hey what’s “perspectiveâ€Â
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:19 am

dj wrote:And ask.. who coached???

Casey Carrigan

Did he have a coach in high school other than his dad?

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:38 pm

dj wrote:Cranston Hysong in Arizona was producing vaulters (i.e. the three White brothers before Nick in Arizona) dj

I must say as one of the Vaulters that has worked with Mr. Hysong, he has more knowledge about the vault than most people I have ever met. Not only is he very knowledgable, but willing to share and learn what he knows, and also conveys what he is trying to say. I think one of the major reasons he has had so many successful vaulters is because of his teaching style. As was mentioned, the athlete and the coach have to know as much as they can about the vault so they can communicate; he did this. He made students of the vault, not just vaulters. I would be willing to put him up against countless numbers of other coaches around. Looking back in retrospect I can see all this, where at the time I had no clue the impact he had on me.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:16 pm

That's a great review and history lesson DJ. All I know is there are a whole lot more good coaches, facilities available, etc., because of the Internet and formats like PVP. Vaulters want to learn and are always sharing ideas.

I'm in the healthcare business and have over 500 subscription based physicians, hospitals, physical therapist, partners, etc., depending on my knowledge, experience and opinions. I'm up front and tell them flat out that "I know nothing but WE know everything".

When I was a kid we were at a meet watching John Pennel trying to become the first 18'r. My brother (PR at that time was 7' 6") went over and told him that he wasn't running good enough to make it tonight. After the meet John came over and told my brother that his was the best advice he had gotten that day.

The moral is the message will sometimes come from odd places, but it's up to us to recognize it's value. As a good friend says, "the mind is like a parachute - it works best when open". The best coaches and athletes know this and that's cool!

Thanks to all of you for your contributions to the sport we love!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:34 pm

hey

uuppss..

i told you i would miss someone... and not just anyone... one of the best and one of my very dear friends......... i truly apologies..

he is without doubt in the very top... championship vaulters since 1988.. 18 footers.. and gold medal..

jim bemiller-u. of tenn..

damn how could i miss.. he has to be top 5ish..

dj

that will make the list a little more complete
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”