Meditation

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

agapit
PV Follower

Meditation

Unread postby agapit » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:00 pm

Polewhatisrunitdah

What, in your mind, is the simplest action that describes pole vault? Share it here even if it sounds silly.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

agapit
PV Follower

Re: Meditation

Unread postby agapit » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:50 pm

agapit wrote:Polewhatisrunitdah

What, in your mind, is the simplest action that describes pole vault? Share it here even if it sounds silly.

OK to break the ice. Someone told me one time that they think of pole vault as a feather flying over the fence.

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:25 am

In my mind I kinda see the vault as sort of a sling shot... :confused: I understand if anyone is confused...

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:52 pm

Motocross Step-Up competition with a pole instead of a bike :yes:
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

sjsvaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby sjsvaulter » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:20 pm

I imagine a pendulum. This reminds me of a swing phase with a long trail leg that results from a technically sound runup and plant motion.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:15 pm

izzystikchik wrote:In my mind I kinda see the vault as sort of a sling shot... :confused: I understand if anyone is confused...

So do you see yourself in the sling shot? I know sling shot make this energetic sound upon release. Is the rubber action of the sling shot represents your approach?

I can see it.
Last edited by agapit on Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:21 pm

lonestar wrote:Motocross Step-Up competition with a pole instead of a bike :yes:

Well good deal. I just cennot relate to the motocross. However I see the connection. There is an object and a person. Similar to the vault.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:31 pm

Is is important to have a simple image in mind.This would help to focus on important aspects of the vault. The image could be different for each season, however I would not recomend to switch the image more often than every season.

It takes time and thinking to develop an image for the next period.

It is also helpful to check yourself agains the image you have. For example I had an athlete who had an image for a season of him breaking the wall by pushing agains it. Obviously with such an image it is difficult to focus on the off the ground phase of the vault.

One of the more interesting images I had with students is the hand action during a release of a baseball. Where the whole event was visualized as a wrist action at the time of the pole release.
Last edited by agapit on Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:34 pm

sjsvaulter wrote:I imagine a pendulum. This reminds me of a swing phase with a long trail leg that results from a technically sound runup and plant motion.

When I think of the pendulum I think steady and slow. Do you what that feeling to dominate your jump?

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:51 pm

I can think of a few of things. I guess it only can match up to certain parts of the jump though.

a set of TNT - some small things that when used correctly can make a big event.

As Alan Launder showed, A shoe swinging by the laces and shortening the axis of rotation.

The Soccer thing that was popular in the mid 90's. Kick-Pal or what ever. It had a net and string, the net to put the ball in, and string to hold it by. Long sweeping trail leg, powerful.

A man jumping straight up trying to reach the sky and fly.
Just you wait...

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:04 pm

One of the things I see in my mind is the first swing of a trapeze artist after he or she jumps off the platform. Their sweep, their kick to get the trapeze going as high as possible as soon as possible (so the show doesn't drag waiting for him or her to get to the "tricks" swing). Close? Later........Mike

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:06 am

Mecham wrote:I can think of a few of things. I guess it only can match up to certain parts of the jump though.

a set of TNT - some small things that when used correctly can make a big event.

As Alan Launder showed, A shoe swinging by the laces and shortening the axis of rotation.

The Soccer thing that was popular in the mid 90's. Kick-Pal or what ever. It had a net and string, the net to put the ball in, and string to hold it by. Long sweeping trail leg, powerful.

A man jumping straight up trying to reach the sky and fly.

I like the image off a continuous TNT chain explosions. Bam bam bam (jump, arms, wrist). This image does not leave room for an idle moment. Packing more TNT into the bams leaving NO TIME BETWEEN the explosions reminds me of the way Bubka jumped. It was quite a site in person.

Frankly, the ESSENCE of the modern (6.40 model) is to minimize the time between explosions while packing more TNT.

By the way a pre jump (free takeoff) is the best way to shorten the time between the first and the second bams.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”