Carbon or Regular glass. Why?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

THEONE
PV Newbie

Carbon or Regular glass. Why?

Unread postby THEONE » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:21 pm

What pole do you prefer to jump on, Carbon poles or Regular fiberglass poles, Why?

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

points of interests about Carbon poles

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:35 am

The only reason to use CARBON is that it will reduce the weight of the pole to provide better carry weight and allow for the potential increase of speed down the runway and into the vault.

Carbon is a stiffener and it's elastisity properties are less than that of S glass. Current weaves, unidesigns have not improved on the elasticity, so an all carbon pole is near but not a reality at this moment in time based on current technology and material avaialble.

Some Brands of Carbon are made in such a way that the memory time is faster to return faster to vertical.
We at ESSX do not make a Carbon pole to return faster only to time with the vaulter and the vaulter's swing.

The writer of this post believes that a pole that is made to return faster could force the vaulter to rush the vault and have to create a premature pull or shorten the swing to keep up with the pole.
Results jump really high but come down on the bar.

The Myth that Carbon will get you there faster could be a truth down the runway, however a pole returning faster is not applicable to the best form and style.
Just like a training pole if not used properly one could develop bad timing habits due to a slow moving pole. One will develop bad habits on a faster moving pole that does not time with the vaulter.
IN both cases timing is the key to getting the most out of the vaulting pole!

JUST MY THOUGHTS
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

FlyerChick4
PV Nerd

Unread postby FlyerChick4 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:41 am

I personally like the carbon poles. I just switched this year. I don't think it reacts that much quicker than a normal fiberglass pole . But it is a little quicker and i have found that it helps a lot sometimes. It is also a little smoother in my opinion, when it uncoils. For me on a thirteen foot pole the weight isn't that much difference, but I personally like the way the carbon reacts better than the way a normal fiberglass pole reacts. I wouldn't want to go back now.
This year your gonna have to work twice as hard.

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:08 pm

as far as i can tell the biggest difference is that carbon costs more

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

not sure how much CArbon...

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:32 pm

Not sure how much Carbon is in a 13' pole so I cannot believe you would feel any differrance. Carbon is expensive and is so stiff we think 13 carbons would be a waste and wonder if they are Economy glass with 1 wrap of carbon????
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:45 pm

Placebo effect?
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”