step counting during run up.

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

FlyerChick4
PV Nerd

Unread postby FlyerChick4 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:46 pm

I agree. Count down, that way no matter how many lefts (or rights for you lefties out there) you are going the cue to start your pole drop and plant is always the same. I personally count out loud. I can't jump without counting. So my advice to anyone is to learn to count down. It helps a lot.
This year your gonna have to work twice as hard.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:27 pm

FlyerChick4 wrote:I agree. Count down, that way no matter how many lefts (or rights for you lefties out there) you are going the cue to start your pole drop and plant is always the same. I personally count out loud. I can't jump without counting. So my advice to anyone is to learn to count down. It helps a lot.

You know when you jump with the tail wind you should start pole plant later and with head wind earlier.

As far as counting goes I have no proof that it helps or hurts.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:14 pm

agapit wrote:You know when you jump with the tail wind you should start pole plant later and with head wind earlier.

As far as counting goes I have no proof that it helps or hurts.

true, but I use it as a mental cue for my beginning vaulters to help them time their plant. I've done it so many times in demonstrating for them, that I still someitmes count silently during my approach. :)
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

vaultin chris
PV Pro
Expertise: (Almost) Elite?
Lifetime Best: 5.42
Favorite Vaulter: Everyone Who Vaults

Unread postby vaultin chris » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:16 pm

i dont count all the time, but i has never hurt me when i do count...if that helps...when i do pole runs...i sometimes count my lefts to make sure that my last three steps (L, R, TO) are so fast i cant say "... 9..10"
Last edited by vaultin chris on Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Smith
http://jumpchrisjump.com

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:15 pm

counting is for losers, if your thinking about planting on your second to last step then??? And my experience of counting some people hit harder on whatever foot they are counting on, its harder to get a good rhythm, and if people mess up the count they are screwed. And if your thinking about counting then you probably wont be able to focus on anything else.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:39 pm

KYLE ELLIS wrote:counting is for losers, if your thinking about planting on your second to last step then??? And my experience of counting some people hit harder on whatever foot they are counting on, its harder to get a good rhythm, and if people mess up the count they are screwed. And if your thinking about counting then you probably wont be able to focus on anything else.

I would not say it is for losers. Many winners count. Some people believe it gives them rhythmic queue. The reason I do not coach counting is that I coach to perceive the vault as one act with the focus on the end (pole release). Counting, I think, would promote a division of the event into separate parts.

At the very end, the focus, the flow and imagery, where parts disappear, is what differentiates great from good. Perceiving the event as a one act with crescendo at the end is the ultimate objective.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

Tubaman
PV Newbie

Unread postby Tubaman » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:38 pm

I personally go off of more of a rhythm than anything, counting just messes me up. It's good for when your learning the runway and rhythm though.

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:08 pm

I had a dream that i was in my backyard doing pole runs and counting my steps...I ended up every one falling flat on my face in a muddy puddle... :o

Marengo139
PV Beginner

Unread postby Marengo139 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:43 pm

My coach never tried to make me count my steps but i thought i would try it one day

Lets just say it did not go as planned
I just try to focus on getting my plant up high.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:29 am

Just check out William Munney, aka Clint Eastwood, the gunfighter in the movie "Unforgiven". He provides the answer to this question. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:39 am

I count 3-2-1-3-2-1 then i usually dont count the flat-flat at the end. If I don't count it throws my whole vault off. I find counting helps keep your mind off other things like wind, people talking next to the runway, and starting gunshots.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:18 pm

As I expected, agapit has the same answer as William Munney would have given! :idea:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”