who do you guys think the best pv coach is??????

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:29 am

in response to an earlier post. no doubt rick attig is a good coach. but that doesn't make him the best. hes had a lot of 18 footers, but he brings in guys that jump high 17's and even 18 feet out of high school. its difficult to say who is a great coach because you have to look at the kind of athlete they have to work with. its a lot easier to turn a 12 footer into a 16 footer for example, if they happen to be a 12 footer who runs a 10.8 hundred and can clean 300 pounds. (just making up an example). theres no great way to evaluate coaching other than finding someone who brings the best of out of what their given. the rest is recruiting!!
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

NUVAULTER
PV Nerd

Unread postby NUVAULTER » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:10 pm

scott Huffman jumped 14'6 in highschool... I assume everyone know his succsses.... Gabe Baldwin jumped 16'4 during the HS season.. Now 5.55 big 12 champ and all american...And Not that I have jumped very high but I was a 13'10 jumper in Highschool jumped 16 freshman year and now am a 17 foot vaulter. Plus he does this with unconventional vaulters. Short and Speedy rather than than the six footers. Look at NCAA Ray and Gabe were the shortest people there. Attig is a phenomenal coach. Yes he has had some athletes... Eshbach, Manson... but non the less he is a very talented coach. Cant wait to see how his highschool kids start performing.
Husker Track and Field.

andrej
PV Fan

Unread postby andrej » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:37 am

Every coach is different just like every vaulter is different. Vitaliy Petrov coached Bubka, so why wouldn't he be the best coach? He's coaching Gibilisco, who's PR is 590 (and he's jumping really nice). But everybody else he's coaching didn't improve since he started coaching them. So I would have to say that there exists a different perfect coach for everybody.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Based on volume of good athletes....

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:59 am

Based on volume of good athletes....
You have to choose Earl Bell by far. And based on some of the coaches listed in this thread many have been coached by Earl Bell to carry on his ideas and concepts to their athletes.

And now that earl is 50 years old he has had more years coaching than a few mentioned.

This past weekend I witnessed that he makes the vaulters think for them selves and are not dependent on a coveting coach who has to be at the meet to help.
This is a valuable commodity to pass on to athletes to know how to do self analysis.

Bruce
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:59 am

NUVAULTER wrote:scott Huffman jumped 14'6 in highschool... I assume everyone know his succsses.... Gabe Baldwin jumped 16'4 during the HS season.. Now 5.55 big 12 champ and all american...And Not that I have jumped very high but I was a 13'10 jumper in Highschool jumped 16 freshman year and now am a 17 foot vaulter. Plus he does this with unconventional vaulters. Short and Speedy rather than than the six footers. Look at NCAA Ray and Gabe were the shortest people there. Attig is a phenomenal coach. Yes he has had some athletes... Eshbach, Manson... but non the less he is a very talented coach. Cant wait to see how his highschool kids start performing.

1. i never said he wasn't a good coach
2. ray is a product of SIU
3. gabe is def. one to be impressed with. he has done a great job with gabe.

i wasn't trying to put down any coaches, i just think theres to many factors out there to say who the best is thats all.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Rick Attig Has great coaching ability

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:12 pm

Rick Attig Has great coaching ability His assets are from a developement stand point as I have seen him coach beginners to very high heights.

As a college coach his coaching fairs as it is tough to make changes in people when you get them with problems and poor habits. In spite of this he has done well in the past on a college level.

But I see great things from his new position as this is his strongest position.

Good LUck Rick on your new venture
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

JMP8928
PV Pro

Unread postby JMP8928 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:57 pm

lane lohr. hands down. WHAT UP LANO........i dont think daniel ryland has gotten a shout yet.... i think he's real good.... Lon is great too.

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:14 pm

JMP8928 wrote:lane lohr. hands down. WHAT UP LANO........i dont think daniel ryland has gotten a shout yet.... i think he's real good.... Lon is great too.

lon's the best coach with a fat dip in his mouth.... how many decs this year lon?? you doing AL relays?? or coming down for the real thing???
8700... mark it down

THEONE
PV Newbie

best coach

Unread postby THEONE » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:13 am

there is no such thing as the best coach. it just so happened that earl has just enough knowledge to make a good athlete into a better one. you dont just jump high because of your coach, it has a lot to do with straight out ability. everyone is judging by who has has the best athletes. we dont sit and think, what if there is another coach out there that has a lot of knowledge but doesnt have the right athlete. coaches like bell, attig, johnson, curran all have the name behind them and that is why these athletes go to them. not just any athlete can jump 18' and not every coach can coach an 18 footer, but if a coach with just enough knowledge gets an athlete with enough ability and desire there is no saying what will be the outcome. this whole who is the best coach thing is just a popularity contest.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:35 am

well it also takes commitment from the athlete, well wouldnt toby be a pretty good coach for coaching himself?
On a whole new level 6-20-09

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:40 am

The coach is maybe 10% (at best) of the equation in making you a successful vaulter. If you don't have the commitment, desire, and open-mindedness to learn then the best coach in the world (if you could define that person) can't help you.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:11 pm

it doesn't take good coach to produce great athletes. I know of a couple "great coaches" who were nothing more than great recruiters that knew how to surround themselves with the best athletes. They knew enough to get by, but not to make significant improvement in all of their athletes.

You can't base how good a coach is merely by the performance of their athletes.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”