Alan Launder's From Beginner To Bubka Camp

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Mecham
PV Lover

Alan Launder's From Beginner To Bubka Camp

Unread postby Mecham » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:04 am

Good Morning everyone! I just got home from my trip to the wonderful town of Nampa, Idaho where Jeremy Bailey, Larren Bailey, and Alan Launder held an amazing camp. I thought i would start this topic just to say thank you and send the word out about the camp.
Alan and Jeremy we some of the nicest, most caring coaches i have ever met. They wanted you to do good, and helped in anyway possible. It was a true honor to have been coached and worked with them.
Never before in my vaulting career have i had a more educating and fun vaulting experience like that camp. I learned so many things. Everyone was helpful. I feel that i have made more improvement in those last four days than i have the last 3 months of vaulting. I know that everyone improved within the 4 days. Not just a little bit, but dramatically.
There was about 20-25 people at the camp, including coaches. The numbers were quite small, but it was the first year that the camp was held. I know that Jeremy would like to do this camp again along with everyone else who was there. Please support them in holding the camp again next year. It is a must for a vaulter to go. Certainly.
I know that i just barley scratched the surface of the thanks and comments about the camp, so if all of you that were there, you know who you are (Professor Doctor, Dan Dan The Pole Vault Man) Please contribute to this post with your comments about the camp.

p.s. thank you again for everything Alan and Jeremy!! You guys are awesome!!! :yes: :yes: :yes: Three thumbs up on a 0-2 scale.
Just you wait...

vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaultwest » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:58 pm

Mecham
I was expecting your post on the camp, good job. It was very nice to meet you and the rest of the campers at the Nampa PV Camp. I would second your praise of Larren, Jeremy and Alan, their camp was wonderful. I learned an amazing amount and was happy to survive the camp as a participant. You young guys and gals really pushed me to the max. I have run a few camps and I have been a coach at many camps but this is the first time that I was a camper and I really enjoyed the experience.

I must admit that while I have been trying to coach and vault myself with a techinical vault model that I thought was the Petrov/Bubka model I was missing some of the basic points to actually make that techinical model work. Along with this new knowledge and the great drills to teach/learn this model I am very excited about not only my own jumping but my coaching. I owe a great debt of gratitude to all three of the men that put on the clinic. They have helped take my vaulting to a new level.

I would highly recommend Alan's book "From Begginer to Bubka" to everyone and I hope that all of us here in the US vaulting community can find our way to this techinical model. Hope to see you and the rest of the campers at some vault competitions and for sure at next years Vault summit in Reno.

Vault On

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:13 pm

Mecham expressed my sentiments also. Kudos to Alan Launder, Jeremy Bailey and Larren Bailey. Also to the coaches who attended and then helped us develop the skills by working with us at the stations. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Not only was this camp fun, it was focused, direct and to the point. We learned the pole vaulting model that Alan teaches in his book Beginner to Bubka. We learned how Alan has put this together after seeking out the knowledge of some of the best coaches in the world including Vitaly Petrov. Once one understands the premise of continually trying to put energy into the vaulter-pole system, and the vaulting actions required to achieve this at the 4 phases of the vault, the reasons and purpose of all the drills and exercises become obvious and easy to know what each is trying to develop. Also, they all flow together.

Another thing that worked for me was, Alan is very pragmatic. Everyone is different physically and everyone's resources to help them develop as a vaulter are different. He would explain ways you can apply what we were taught to your own situation to great advantage. It was a very positive experience and one I would recommend to any vaulter striving to become the best they can be.

- master

altius
PV Rock Star

Nampa camp

Unread postby altius » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:44 pm

Aw - shucks! Y'all are makin me blush!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

cmw488
PV Newbie

Unread postby cmw488 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:56 pm

I went to slippery Rock pole vault camp in penn and alan launders was a coach there. he called us all horrible beasts and said we ran like ducks. he was an awesome man and i bought his book for my coach!

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:23 am

Wish I could run as fast as a duck . .

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:04 pm

cmw488 wrote:I went to slippery Rock pole vault camp in penn and alan launders was a coach there. he called us all horrible beasts and said we ran like ducks. he was an awesome man and i bought his book for my coach!
vaultmd wrote:Wish I could run as fast as a duck . .
It's so true! :D
Just you wait...

Kari
PV Newbie

Unread postby Kari » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:39 pm

YES!! I also attended Alan, Jeremy and Laren's camp in Nampa. I had nothing but pure praise to say about it. Not only was it a learning experience for me as far as acutally pole vaulting goes, but it also helped my all around outlook toward competing and being an athlete. I got more out of it than I would have ever expected. I was awesome.
"Where there's a will, there's a way"

Return to “Pole Vault - General”