Isinbayeva 5m!!!

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:30 am

Mecham wrote:
So, when is the next woman going to break 5 meters, and who is it?

Rogowska will be next.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:16 am

http://www.onrunning.com/onrunning/news ... sp?id=2484

ISINBAYEVA CLEARS MILESTONE FIVE METRES
Yelena Isinbayeva's historical victory with a barrier breaking five metres pole vault clearance thrilled the capacity 18,000 crowd at Friday night's Norwich Union London Grand Prix

The performance ranking on a par with Jim Hines's first sub 10-seconds 100 metres, Roger Bannister's sub-four minute mile and Sergey Bubka's six metres pole vault, was the highlight of a memorable Crystal Palace meeting.

The 23-year-old Russian's magical display, outshone even the sight of

Olympic champion Justin Gatlin flying to a UK All-Comers 100 metres record and excellent domestic victories from Tim Benjamin and Nathan Douglas.

Isinbayeva has always insisted she would win the race to become the first woman to reach the highly significant height and with her 17th world record indoors and outdoors, she achieved a burning ambition.

It was the fourth time outdoors this month the Olympic champion had raised the mark. The sequence began with a 4.93m clearance in Lausanne on July 5and a two centimetres improvement in Madrid last Sunday.

Then Isinbayeva tonight after clearing her opening heights of 4.70m and 4.80m first time, stuttered on her first world record effort at 4.96. But the second vault saw her well clear of the crossbar.

The only surprise was that Isinbayeva with a cheque for US50,000 dollars already in her possession, then decided to have the bar raised by four centimetres.

In the past with generous bonuses on offer for each improvement, she has restricted it always to one and then in Madrid, two centimetres.

But the personable former gymnast in front of her favourite London crowd and offered the enticement of another undisclosed five figure sum, achieved first time the leap of a lifetime.

"It was my dream to be the first woman to be over five metres," said

Isinbayeva affectionately hugged by Bubka, whose own world pole vault record of 6.15m has stood untroubled for 12 years.

"I can't explain my feelings, I love the run up and the stadium here," said Isinbayeva delighted the helpful weather and enthusiastic crowd offered her so much encouragement.

She admitted: "I don't know how much higher I can go - maybe 5.05m,"

suggested Isinbayeva who has regularly been clearing that height in the less stressful atmosphere of the training stadium.

"I think she's unique," said Bubka full of praise at her massive achievement after presenting her prize. "She jumps records like I did in my time.

"To jump five metres is something special and I think she can jump higher. I want her to break my record," the pole vaulting icon added.

Runner-up Anna Rogowska and equal third placed Janine Whitlock almost

unnoticed in the celebrations, raised the Polish and UK records to 4.80m and 4.47m.

Whitlock will appreciate the bonus of US10000 dollars which she received.

The pioneer of British women's pole vaulting set a 39th national record indoors or outdoors.

stavhoppare
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter, Olympic and Div. Coach
Lifetime Best: 17'8 3/4
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Isackson

Unread postby stavhoppare » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:21 am

Once vaulters and coaches get the concept of straignt bottom arm and "free take off" OUT OF THEIR HEAD and watch what Issackson did way back when, we can finally start progressing again. Isinbayeva looks so much like Kjell it is scary (technically that is). And Bubka never had a free take off or stiff left arm at take off. His bottom arm straightened because the pole bent! The pole does not bend because of the bottom arm being straight. Issackson gave us the great plant and take off and Bubka gave us the great inversion and extension. Can we finally get rid of the VOODOO VAULT coaches and get back to biomechanics!!!
5.405 in '69 Those not living on the edge are taking up too much room!!!

stavhoppare
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter, Olympic and Div. Coach
Lifetime Best: 17'8 3/4
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Isackson

Unread postby stavhoppare » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:30 am

Adendum: It's not about pole BEND.....it's all about pole SPEED. How fast can we get the pole from take off to vertical. So many vaulters can't even get the pole to vertical. That = stall outs. Sorry I am so passionate about this......it just hurts to watch and hear VOODOO VAULT theories.
5.405 in '69 Those not living on the edge are taking up too much room!!!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:38 am

His bottom arm straightened because the pole bent! The pole does not bend because of the bottom arm being straight. Issackson gave us the great plant and take off and Bubka gave us the great inversion and extension. Can we finally get rid of the VOODOO VAULT coaches and get back to biomechanics!!!

i'm glad i'm not standing alone!

one of kjell's jumps at ucla is in the front of my teaching/training folder.

the "prejump" "freetakeoff" does not exist... they are incorrect descriptions of biomechanical actions...

we need to talk about.. posture/speed.. suttle penultimate...early-high plant and "swing like hell"

dj

ps.. hey you "young" coaches... you only need ONE piece of information.......

"for every action there is and equal and opposite reaction."
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:26 pm

DJ -

Agreed 100%

Us American's are so fixated on being fast and holding high that technique has taken a backseat.
Now... Don't get me wrong. There are many U.S. men who have some splendid technique, but in general, a screaming, out-of-control run holding really high followed by a tuck and shoot is epidemic across the board.
Example - (And please, no one take offense to this) Robbie Pratt. 6'9" (?) with good speed, but without a doubt the worst plant that I have seen in the NCAA. But the speed and height are making up for the lack of technique.
Sure you can hold high and see immediate results, but for a slow guy like me, having slightly better technique has kept me improving steadily my entire career, and I don't plan on stopping.
But... on the flipside, I am now focusing on improving my speed, and grip height.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:33 pm

"for every action there is and equal and opposite reaction."

Flippin' Newton. He just couldn't stop after two laws, huh...

Blacksburg, Virginia

verticaltechnique.com

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:04 pm

thanks slickvt for the :yes:

let me see... action/reaction

plant early and high + 10 (and ;) )

plant late and low - 10 (and :crying: )

streeeeeeeetch..takeoff and sink.. -10 :crying:

quick..quick...quick.. takeoff up.. + 10 ;)

i like the ;) ;) ;) ;)

i think i can help you with the run... i just need to film a session like i recently did at earls place, and like i did with mike tully in the early 80's and randelene recently and many others in between.. put it on a video and send it to everyone........

i've tried to write it but the athletes and coaches need to see it in action to understand it... d job, ladyvaultcoach, can tell you it works..

next coaching session i have i'll get it done... stay tuned

as far as holding high and the tuck and shoot.. that can be the product of the pole being used.. and the required action-reaction for that specific pole...

i'll email you the 6 week program i use to create more speed..

dj

actually i'll put it in the technical section of pvp
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

Cpvault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College/Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.50
Favorite Vaulter: Dean Starkey

Unread postby Cpvault » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:52 pm

DJ,

What are you talking about? The best group of MEN pole vaulters in the world are from the USA. Your speaking as if our pole vaulters have done nothing up to this point in time. This event like others is very cyclical; USA women were dominant for time, now it's a different country. It just happens the USA men have worked hard enough (obviously on the correct things) to be atop the world as a pole vaulting group. It was the Eastern block countries for a long time; now there is a shift.

In addition, young vaulters should listen to their coaches; I find it hard to believe that a young/not very experienced vaulter would be able to just watch somebody who is good and copy it. The vault doesn't work that way. While I do believe coaching needs to improve in this country; I will say that it has gotten much better in the last 10 years and continues to improve. We have some very knowledgable coaches who know what they're talking about.

Just because one Russian is jumping world records, it doesn't mean the USA has forgotten how to vault.

Cpvault
PV Nerd

Unread postby Cpvault » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:54 pm

SlickVT,

Robbie Pratt is not a good example. He is a Mexican citizen.

SlickVT
PV Follower

Unread postby SlickVT » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:02 pm

Interesting point. I was generalizing. But... the N in NCAA stands for National.

I was just making a point about speed vs. technique.

Blacksburg, Virginia

verticaltechnique.com

Cpvault
PV Nerd

Unread postby Cpvault » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:13 pm

I see. I guess the fact that you premised the point with "us Americans" just threw me off?
Last edited by Cpvault on Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”