vaulting with the standards buried

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:13 pm

MightyMouse wrote:
SKOT wrote:the only negative about having your standards at 80+cm is that you learn to be comfortable only when your pole releases past verticle. when this happens, some of the energy that could be used to shoot you higher in the air is being used to push you deeper into the pit.

good point but the pole needs to be slightly past vertical for a proper release. But i guess with the standards at 40 thats a little more than slightly. Its jumping with the standards at 20 or less routinley that can lead to trouble. maybe 10% of the time you should practice jumping with competition standard settings.

ok, whether you are talking inches or cm, one of your 40 and 20 numbers would not be allowed. i can convert bar heights metric to imperial and back fairly easily, but thinking in standards in terms of inches gives me a headache after more that 4 years of going metric. lets all agree to talk about standards only metrically on every board but but high school. run length has to be feet though and heights can be either though

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:50 pm

Skyin' Brian wrote:
MightyMouse wrote:
SKOT wrote:the only negative about having your standards at 80+cm is that you learn to be comfortable only when your pole releases past verticle. when this happens, some of the energy that could be used to shoot you higher in the air is being used to push you deeper into the pit.

good point but the pole needs to be slightly past vertical for a proper release. But i guess with the standards at 40 thats a little more than slightly. Its jumping with the standards at 20 or less routinley that can lead to trouble. maybe 10% of the time you should practice jumping with competition standard settings.

ok, whether you are talking inches or cm, one of your 40 and 20 numbers would not be allowed. i can convert bar heights metric to imperial and back fairly easily, but thinking in standards in terms of inches gives me a headache after more that 4 years of going metric. lets all agree to talk about standards only metrically on every board but but high school. run length has to be feet though and heights can be either though

Ha ha ok how about 45cm and 90?
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:14 pm

i PR'ed 4 times this season and each time the standards were no deeper than 60cm.

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:46 am

I don't think I've ever vaulted with my standards closer than 24in
"Life is not measured by the number of breath you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"
- Anonymous

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:28 am

SKOT wrote:i PR'ed 4 times this season and each time the standards were no deeper than 60cm.

Im not saying you wont have sucsess with shallow standards, only you are more likely to get hurt with them. The box is the hardest surface close to the pad, I like to get as far away from it as possible:D
Last edited by MightyMouse on Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19 Years Old

Coach: Val Osipenko

"Hard work never goes to waste"

Petrov/Launder student

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:05 pm

master wrote:
Vaultref wrote:Robert,
Just were did you have have the standards? You're post indicates 33" (did you really mean 33 inches or 33 cm)?
Since this is a High School section, 33 inches is too far back and 33 cm is too close. They shouldn't be jumping at these settings.

The HS rule is 80cm max which is about 31.5". I am not speaking for Robert, but maybe in practice they just fudge a little on that depth.

They were buried now that i think of it I believe that is 32" on our standards
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

flyingfox21
PV Beginner

Unread postby flyingfox21 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:38 pm

in practice my coach will rarely ever bring the standards closer than 70cm. I am very thankfull that he does this because i have gotten my feet tangled in the crossbar before and if the standards were closer i might not be writing this today. Now i feel unsafe if my standards are closer than 65 and i thank my coach for not letting me move my standards up
wether you think you can or think you can't, either way you'll be right

Vault Old School
PV Fan

Unread postby Vault Old School » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:50 am

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS!!! Vault with your standards if not burried prety darn close to it. This insures that you will penetrate into the pit to make the bar. Never let your standards reach the minimum requirement for depth! You are only looking for trouble if you do.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:29 am

Yeah, we never bring the standards up in practice, always all the way back.
Or even way further ;)
Just you wait...

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:31 pm

My rule of thumb is that the standards stay buried in practice. One we get to a meet, we start with them buried and adjust as we go up poles and raise our grips. Even then, I never move the standards in any bigger increments than 10cm (~4in). Typical meet we start with them at 80cm(31.5in) and end uip somewhere between 55-70cm (22-28in) depending on what poles we are on, grip height, etc. This is for my more experienced vaulters mind you. My begginers don't get to move their standards unless their close to a PR or something. :)
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:26 am

Very, very seldom will you find an elite vaulter with their standards inside of 55cm. Generally they are about 70cm.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”