Nutrition

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Nutrition

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:33 pm

What are soom good foods out there that pack a good Calorie and protein punch.. that you don't have to buy for $50 at GNC

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:17 pm

If you want snacks, peanut butter (8 grams of protein per table spoon) and a bagle (high in fiber, carbs, and if u get blueberry very high in anti-oxidants) which makes a great post-work out snack: which will help speed recovery, or a great pre-work out snack because peanut butter makes u feel full longer.
For a good meal italian is a runners heaven unless its in a cream or alfrado sause. Tomatos are high in anti-oxidants and have lots of fiber. If you wanna add protein in any meal, but some powderesd milk and add some into a sauce (not alot, just a table spoon), that will add alot more protein to it.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

owlvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby owlvaulter » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:02 pm

trail mix is a great way to get in alot of calories. You can mix it yourself with different kinds of nuts, dried fruits, pretzels, chex, etc. It's very dense in calories. Assuming you are trying to gain some weight and don't have any health problems (like high cholestrol, blood pressure, etc) then try adding some healthy fats to everything you eat. It won't kill you to put butter on bread or to dip your bread in some pepper and olive oil etc. Fat has the most calories per serving and therefore is a way to add more calories into your diet, without feeling like you spend your entire day eating.

Drinking smoothies is also a good way to add in calories, but I know that can get expensive after a while.

LHSpolevault
PV Master

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:58 pm

Wow.. what a lunch

Bread: 100 calories x 2 pieces = 200cal
PB: 190 calories x 6 servings = 1140cal
Chocolate Chips: 80 calories x 2 servings = 160
Spaghetti/Meatballs: 270calories x 2 servings = 540

2040 calories :eek:

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:04 pm

a Steak has protein !!!!!
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:21 pm

As a runner you should be concentrating on a right mix between carb, protein and HEALTHY fats (trans fatty acids, saturated and tricglcerides [if it has perservatives, its most likely unhealthy, do to the fact that the glucose chain is chemically changed so that Hydrogen atoms will bond to Oxygen atoms, hence it will perserve food since the oxygen bonding site has already been used up] are all unhealthy and should be avoided if at all possible.) If you really want to eat healthy, use common sense really, if its packed in perservatives, stay away, or you can become a dork like me and study nutrition in college.

Also, if you really want to gain weight, protein shakes are a Godsend, but be carefull, if is VERY high in cholestrol, so make sure you use it when you know you are going to be very active. Usually the rule is 1.5 to 2 grams of protein for every pound you weigh, thats a good goal to try to reach and it really works.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:37 pm

LHSpolevault wrote:PB: 190 calories x 6 servings = 1140cal

That is a lot of peanut butter! :dazed:

Let's see...serving size: 2 Tbs...and 6 servings = 12 Tbs....dude, that's 3/4 cup of peanut butter there! How did you get it all down?

LHSpolevault
PV Master

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:48 pm

i didn't list the amount of milk i drank lol... i had like 3 glasses of milk :P

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:03 am

I've eaten a little over 4 lbs. of peanut butter in the past month...granted, i am a college student, so i have very little variety...but the intense caloric intake hasn't made me fat (yet)

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:22 am

i was checking out in my fridge at all the nutrition facts and a hamburger patty has more protein then a bag of tuna
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?

Sophmore PR 14'6"

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”