Pole Weight Differance

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Wed May 25, 2005 8:16 am

I not a new vaulter ive been vaulting for three years now and am not scared of going 10 pounds up a pole. And Im not the only one who heard it stretch out.

We didn't say you were scared to go up to the heavier pole, we said that it was your confidence that wasn't completely there yet. Going to a heavier pole will mean that your mechanics will need to be better. It usually takes a few jumps for a vaulter to adjust their mechanics and timing to get on the bigger pole.

The stretching you heard was more then likely the sound of the tip of the pole rubbing on the box as the pole penetrated the pit.

We're not trying to knock you down here. We're speaking from eons more experience then you. 3yrs in the sport is still inexperienced in my opinion. I've been jumping 10years and coaching for 5years and I still have a lot to learn.

If you want to continue to be successful, you'll need to keep your mind open and listen to those on this board who know what they're talking about. The vaulting community is a very strong community. There are a lot of people who are more then willing to lend a hand or advice, but you'll need to be willing to accept it.
"Heart"

freshmanvaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby freshmanvaulter » Wed May 25, 2005 2:03 pm

I dont know why you wont believe me about it stretching, It might just be altius poles, but it did stretch out, my coach who vaulted for 10 years and has been coaching for 15 heard it, And other kids getting on these altius said they had the exact same thing going on. Im sorry if I seemed frustrated but, it did stretch out.

Antihero43
PV Fan

Unread postby Antihero43 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:23 am

solid fiberglass doesnt stretch, its a matter of physical properties. The bend isnt the pole stretching. Think of a paper clip when you bend a paper clip it doesnt get any thinner or longer it just bends. I bet if you measured that pole from the day you got and then today you would see even down the the size of a hair it hasn't stretched any. Poles dont stretch, im not saying your coach is a liar, but he needs to go back and study physical properties of soilds.
"Our Greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall"

Antihero43
PV Fan

Unread postby Antihero43 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:28 am

CrossBarHOpper wrote:18. something on the 12'4 and a 20.1 i think on the 13
It says in the essex description that they do not have different flex numbers which makes changeing poles easier, ever go on there website, they dont have different flex numbers.

Antihero43
PV Fan

Unread postby Antihero43 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:30 am

i dont want to argue or anything, but i mean thats one of there main sales points.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:34 am

ESSX does have flex numbers, but they have a wide selection of weight ratings so that you do not need to order poles by the flex number.

Antihero43
PV Fan

Unread postby Antihero43 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:38 am

they need to learn to restate things in there ads, someone like me could read that and think one thing, then have to come back and addmit they were wrong.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

ESSX FLex numbers

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:49 am

[color=blue][b]ESSX does have flex numbers on thier poles and one could use it to move from one size or length within our brand. However flex numbers are confusing when you use them in this way.
We have devised a system of power numbers that is very easy to understand. This system works better. In the past a few pole companies had discovered they did not match other brands or they used the wrong size weight when they bought the machinery. They have had to adjust their spans leaving such confusion in the market place.

There is a universal flex system used by the majority of the companies but even if you wanted to be very accurate one could not due to the varying numbers one will get on a pole tested in different variables, humidity, temperature ,and the use of varying frictionless support systems. Buying poles based on flex numbers is very difficult for the manufacturers as one cannot hit the flex number every single time. We say “Welcome to the World of Manufacturingâ€Â
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

Antihero43
PV Fan

Unread postby Antihero43 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:07 pm

you know im a die hard supporter of UCS but after knowing how much more you give to the vaulter through your options i might just have to buckle down and try essx

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast

Poles stretching Grin

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:44 pm

Well YES and NO
A pole compresses on the back side while stretches ever so little on the front side. Altius poles in the beginning used friction tape to tape their poles, but not anymore. ON a very cold day with a very tight wrap of tape any pole can make this noise!
You may of heard the tape pulling away from the pole and moving ever so slightly especially on a very cold day rather than a very hot day!
Does the pole get longer NO but the pole will become egg shaped which will prove one side gets long and the other shortens!

So the answer to your question does it stretch?
One side does but the pole does not get longer!

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast

Re:

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:55 pm

Antihero43 wrote:you know im a die hard supporter of UCS but after knowing how much more you give to the vaulter through your options i might just have to buckle down and try essx

We make a pole that can be used to the very top of its length less 2" for the pole rating label!
Other brands build you a 14' length pole but it is really a 13'6" pole because you can only hold 13'6" tops due to where they place the rating label.
If you have a brand with a pole rating that is 6" down then approximately 8-10" down from the bottom of the rate label is where that pole is rated its weight!
Poles such as Altius and ESSX maintain a 1-2 " area fro the rating label giving full usage and full rating of the pole at it's weight!
We had a customer who bought a 14-140 and 14-145 we shipped him a 14-143 and a 14-147. He insisted he needed 140 and 145 grin.
One would say just re-engrave the same poles as that is how the other brands set weight ratings. We made him lighter poles but the difference was no different than raising the grip 1" on each of the pole to get what he wanted.
What I am saying is you may get a 149 marked 145 from our competitor and when moving to a 150 you may be on a 151, I say just call it what it is!!!!

Bruce CAldwell

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Poles stretching Grin

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:28 pm

ESSX wrote:Well YES and NO
A pole compresses on the back side while stretches ever so little on the front side. Altius poles in the beginning used friction tape to tape their poles, but not anymore. ON a very cold day with a very tight wrap of tape any pole can make this noise!
You may of heard the tape pulling away from the pole and moving ever so slightly especially on a very cold day rather than a very hot day!
Does the pole get longer NO but the pole will become egg shaped which will prove one side gets long and the other shortens!

So the answer to your question does it stretch?
One side does but the pole does not get longer!

That's interesting, I have heard a few pretty noisy older Altius poles. We don't get very hot days up here :)

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”