Strength and condtioning for the vaulter....

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
owlvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby owlvaulter » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:52 am

mikepv1 wrote:-Your body can only digest approximately 30-35 grams of protein at a time.

-Protein significantly in excess of what you need according to a balanced diet (approximately 15% of your total calorie intake) is converted to and stored as fat.

Not to be picky, I think this was a very good post, with many great exercises, but I just want to clear up a discrepancy in your post. Excess protein is not stored as fat in the body...it is simple excreted out of the body. Carbohydrates are metabolized and stored as fat in the body when not used for energy.

mikepv1
Muahahahaha!!

Unread postby mikepv1 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:50 am

owlvaulter wrote:
mikepv1 wrote:-Your body can only digest approximately 30-35 grams of protein at a time.

-Protein significantly in excess of what you need according to a balanced diet (approximately 15% of your total calorie intake) is converted to and stored as fat.

Not to be picky, I think this was a very good post, with many great exercises, but I just want to clear up a discrepancy in your post. Excess protein is not stored as fat in the body...it is simple excreted out of the body. Carbohydrates are metabolized and stored as fat in the body when not used for energy.

That's cool. I am trying to remember what nutrition book I read that in. Either way, excess protein is not utilized by the body. The body only uses what it needs. So, these guys who go to Smoothie King and get a king size myoplex, which has 90g of protein, are being completely ridiculous and not doing any good for themselves.

Also, on a side note, cutting carbs is also a bad idea. Carbs are just as important as protein in recovery, because they are highly instrumental in replenishing your muscles' glycogen stores. That I did get from a few reliable sources. :idea: :)
Last edited by mikepv1 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
"For a few seconds, it is as if you are a bird."
-Sergei Bubka

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:53 am

owlvaulter wrote:

That's why the Atkin's diet is sooo popular
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

owlvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby owlvaulter » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:13 pm

mikepv1 wrote:
owlvaulter wrote:

That's cool. I am trying to remember what nutrition book I read that in. Either way, excess protein is not utilized by the body. The body only uses what it needs. So, these guys who go to Smoothie King and get a king size myoplex, which has 90g of protein, are being completely ridiculous and not doing any good for themselves.

Also, on a side note, cutting carbs is also a bad idea. Carbs are just as important as protein in recovery, because they are highly instrumental in replenishing your muscles' glycogen stores. That I did get from a few reliable sources. :idea: :)

That is correct :) Carbs are very important in athletics...it's the first thing your body uses for energy. Athletes should not cut carbs, because it will cause a drop in energy, which is not good for training or competing. Instead they should eat "smarter" carbs, i.e. fruit, veggies, whole grains, etc and cut down on the amount of processed sugar.

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:40 pm

and if you aren't getting enough carbs and have a lack of energy.. go out and spend the $2.00 on a Sobe No Fear energy drink before a meet and down it with a couple Tylenol.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:53 pm

Why would you take it with Tylenol?
Just you wait...

LHSpolevault
PV Master

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:10 pm

if you have a little bit of pain... its just what i usually do and it was like an automatic thing that my brain told me type.

LHSpolevault
PV Master

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:11 pm

...and cuz you don't feel anything bad within your body for the next 8 hours haha

Antihero43
PV Fan

Unread postby Antihero43 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:58 pm

One semi common thing i see on this post is people dont want to lift a lot of weight because they dont want to get too bulky. See my grandfather and uncle were both amatuer body builders, they told the size gain in major lifting exercises is mostly genetic. You must not fear lifting more and more weight because you wont nescessarily get body builder huge. Especially for girls, there bodys dont produce some and also not in the same quantities of muscle growth hormones that mens do. Body builders also dont lift just for size, there are many workouts they do just to tone and burn fat, both require a lot of weight lifting that doesnt add on much size. If your looking for a really good work out routine for weight loss or strength gain without the effect of bulk go to this site http://weight-lifting-routines.com/ this guy recomends great workouts and adresses the concern of size gain in weight lifting.
"Our Greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall"

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”