Strength and condtioning for the vaulter....

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:07 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
But girls don't have the testosterone to bulk up the way guys do.

And I never lift aiming to bulk or to tone. I do Olympic lifts and focus on getting more powerful and explosive.

I am not a twig by any means. I am more muscular than most other girls. But I have always been like this, even when I was a gymnast. If I lifted heavier I would probably get a bit beefier. You will gain muscle and put on some muscle mass.

But you won't turn into a massive beast. If any girl out there is afraid to lift because they are afraid of gaining muscle, they need to rethink their image of what is beautiful and what is important to them.

Sorry, i thought you meant that if u have a certain genetic partern u will get all ripped period, i guess i took that the wrong way.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:10 am

PvRowSwim wrote:which would include foods such as...................fruit? I LIKE FRUIT!

PvRowSwim, i would tell you...but it would def take to long. But something that i pretty much always see that is right is "if it taste bad its good for you, if it tastes good its bad for you" this may be general, but its pretty much true. But fruits, vegables and UNprocessed meats are good. Seafood is excellent for you because of the high amounts of Zinc and Iodine. If you want a full course of whats good, u can take a class...or IM me, i'll be glad to tell you whats good or not.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:23 am

I know I sound like a broken record but do these roll back drills that BubbaSparks has me doin'. They look easy but believe me they aren't when you start off. You'll see Dougs apparatus in the video. I built one that is not as elaborate. Basically you can do these on a monkey bar at the local play gound. Here's what Doug wrote me. I know many of you have seen this but it sounds like the perfect excercise for you guys. Doug wrote, " Your biggest enemy will be trying to get upside down quickly so you'd better get started. I farted around for three months struggling to make 9', built the bars and BOOM, I could jump over my handgrip and do that drill again. Go here http://www.bubbapv.com/Images/New&Old/ and click on the "RollBack.mpg" file. The high parallel bars are 8.5' high and the bars are 24" apart supported by 4X4s. Stills attached. I would do this in the back of your house as opposed to joining a gym. I built a gym at home piece by piece as needed. It's awesome and I didn't spend a fortune. On the bars you will make four attempts a day on three days a week to max. When that number totals 30, you add 1.5 lb. ankle weights to each foot. When that hits 30, you go to 2.5 lb. ankle weights. I'm currently on 4 lbs per foot but it took me over a month to do ONE with no weight. You'll get good at this fast and it will show up in your vault within two weeks. Get it going before you vault and your progress will be much faster. Like I tell people, it's all timing so it doesn't require much strength once you know the timing. It DOES require strength to LEARN the timing as well as to jump on bigger poles. Win/Win"!! It's such a simple excercise but no kidding, it's a bear. Good luck...........and we'll talk to you ..........Later...........Mike

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:44 pm

Now thats the stuff I am talkiing about! That drill is FANTASTIC!!! Now all i have to do is make something in my back yard.......Anyone else got stuff like that??????????

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:49 pm

if you can get a pull up bar, you can do a bunch of drills with that.

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:01 pm

I have one! :D In my doorway, but i would really like it if you could inform me on drills i can do... Please....

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:32 pm

ok then. I got some for you. You can do inverted pull-ups. for those you get upside and do pull ups. another thing you can do is do pull ups and try to get on top of the bar.

you should be able to contact the flight deck people to get some drills form there.

Go to http://www.flightdeckathletics.com/

also, contact Chris Milton at cdmilton@hotmail.com

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:56 pm

Hey thanks for all the awesome feedback. All of it is really helping me out, if anybody knows anything else that has got some nice results do tell!
"When life hands you a lemon, say "O Yeah!, I like lemons, what else ya got?"

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:22 pm

When I added large meals and smoothies(with exercise) to my diet I gained alot of muscle in a short time 6 months

A 40 oz Hulk at smoothie king has
2000 calories (no typo there) 312g Carbs 48g protein and 58g fat

I found that has a little to much fat etc for me so ive switched to
The Activator which has
844 calories 184 g carbs 2.6g fat 30g protien and 1 g saturated fat
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:53 pm

if you can get contact with Steve White, he should have some drills you can do.

Here's his addy. steve@flightdeckathletics.com

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:22 pm

This isn't so much for conditioning, but it's more of a drill. my coach did this thing where we jumped off the stage into a High jump pit (we did this inside). we used a pole and tried to get verticle. It was fun but scary.

mikepv1
Muahahahaha!!

Unread postby mikepv1 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:29 am

CHC04Vault wrote:Also, stay away from creatine, it dosn't do anything (its not BAD for u), just a really big waste of money when u could spend it on protein or a gym memebership.

Actually, it can cause kidney damage. Your body wasn't designed to get as much creatine as it does when you take it in supplemental form. Supplemental creatine may do something for you psychologically, because the added waterweight makes you feel more muscular and stronger, but there is not really a decisive physiological benefit from getting more creatine than you would get from eating the right food.

Also, on another note, it is stupid to take in huge amounts of protein for a few reasons:

-Your body can only digest approximately 30-35 grams of protein at a time.

-Protein significantly in excess of what you need according to a balanced diet (approximately 15% of your total calorie intake) is converted to and stored as fat.

-Protein powder frequently does not have sufficient vitamin B6, which is essential for metabolizing protein.

-Taking in excess protein is typically that much less carbohydrate intake that you are getting, resulting in less high intensity energy than you would have otherwise. Protein is not meant to be a fuel but rather a means of repair

-The only athletes who actually need to take in more protein as a percentage of their calorie intake than normal people are endurance athletes (such as bikers and distance runners), whose bodies have to work overtime to repair a large amount of cardiovascular tissue that is torn down during cardio workouts in addition to normal muscular tissue.

The whole issue with protein is not how much you eat. It's WHEN you eat it. The idea is to time your meals so that you get your protein at the time of the day when your body is using it the most (i.e. the meal that occurs after your workout).

Another thing that is aggravatingly incorrect is the idea that gaining weight and mass is desirable in the pole vault. NOTHING could be farther from the truth. From a physical standpoint, pole vault is largely about your strength-to-weight ratio. If you strength train and get stronger but not bigger, you have a God-given gift that you should take full advantage of. NEVER try to get bigger. Stay small and light.

Odds are, you will gain a little bit of mass during strength training. Just make sure it is highly functional, and try not to hugely bulk up. Doing excercises with your body weight should be a big priority. Of course, some "body-building" exercises are necessary for range of motion, connective tissue strengthening, and injury prevention, but you should make sure to build a strong calisthenic and gymnastic base, with your upper body, core, and lower body. Power lifting, when combined with elastic strength development exercises (such as plyometrics), is also helpful.

As far as specific exercises go...

Gymnastic Exercises
-Bubkas
-Windshield Wipers
-Inverted Hanging Upward Hip Thrusts (Hang from a bar, bring your feet up to your hands, and drive your feet upward until your hips are to the bar and you are upside down)
-Kips
-Muscle-Ups

Calisthenic Exercises
-Pull-Ups
-Chin-Ups
-Push-Ups
-Handstand Push-Ups
-Single-Leg Squats
-Single-Leg Calf Raises
-Lunges
-Single-Leg Donkey Kicks(you get on all fours and and raise one flexed leg up behind you)
-Yogis (VERY advanced-must get very strong on leg curls in the weightroom before attempting these--You kneel down, someone holds your feet behind you, and, keeping your hips and upperbody stiff and using nothing but your legs, you lower yourself to the ground and raise yourself back up to the kneeling position--most people have to be aided by a strength spotter.)

Core Strength Exercises
Pedestal Exercises (Pilates)
Crunches
Crunches w/Twist
V Sit-Ups
Back Hyperextensions
Back Hyperextension w/Twist
Torso Twists
Ab Ball Exercises
Leg Throws (Partner throws your legs toward the ground in multiple directions, and you raise them back up while laying on the ground and holding onto your partner's ankles--keep your legs straight).

"Body Building" Exercises
Leg Curls
Calf Raises
Leg Extensions
Glute Press
Leg Press
Leg Spreads
Leg Squeezes
Hip 4-Ways
Pulley Leg Cycles (Resisted from Front)
Pulley Leg Cycles (Resisted from the Back)
3-Way Shoulder Flies
Bench Flies
Reverse Bench Flies
Rows
Biceps Curls
Triceps Extensions
Lat Pull-Downs
Pull-Overs
Overhead Press (Dumbell)
Bench (Dumbell)
Incline Bench (Dumbell)
Wrist and Ankle Exercises (Thera-Band)

Power-Lifting Exercises
Snatch
Clean
Clean-and-Jerk
Hang Clean
Squat
Bench

Ideally, you should emphasize the body building and core strengthening exercises very early in the pre-season, for injury prevention and muscular endurance (for most college and high school athletes, this would be during the summer). During the middle part of pre-season (fall for most college and high school athletes), you should start to get into the calisthenics and gymnastics, as well as some power-lifting. In late pre-season (winter for most college and high school athletes--STAY WARM!!!!!), you should still be doing calisthenics and getting more into the gymnastics, and by this time, you should be full-force in the power-lifting and plyometrics. At the end of pre-season, you should back off a bit and give your body a littl bit of recovery. Then, you should start emphasizing explosive lightweight repetitions, utilizing your elastic response, but not lifting to the point of fatigue, since at this time, the season will be in, and you will begin polishing your technique.
"For a few seconds, it is as if you are a bird."
-Sergei Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”