Beginner to Bubka - feedback

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Do you find Alan Launder's book useful for teaching the vault?

Yes
95%
No
5%

Total votes: 20

cougarscoach
PV Beginner

Beginner to Bubka - feedback

Unread postby cougarscoach » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:37 am

Now that Alan Launder's book, "From Beginner to Bubka - An Australian Approach to Developing Pole Vaulters", has been out for a while does anybody have any success stories putting into practice it's teachings?

We have had the book since February and have found a lot of things from it to be of enormous value. For example; we have found the platform drills shown on page 78 of the book to be of great use. All of the vaulters in my group have pr'd this season. Because of this drill they have a more powerful swing and are becoming profficient at covering the pole. There are other benefits as well: the platforms also help teach a correct take-off and help prevent overuse of the legs.

Just wondering if anyone else has any feedback.

For those who don't have the book - GET IT, you won't regret spending the money!

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:33 am

I bought the book primarily to help me improve my personal vaulting. I'm sure there will be a time when I will be doing more than just the volunteer coaching/helping at a local high school and what I learn will be put to use there.

From the coaching perspective, I like that Alan understands and talks about the needs of coaching within a limited budget of both money and time. That is the real world for most coaches. There are recommendations like "If you only have time for one of these exercises, do ...". I have taken this info and applied it directly to my training.

Alan presents compeling arguments for the concept of applying energy to the pole/vaulter system continuously, but in stages. One stage I know I had not focused on was the swing. I hope to develop a whip swing that will help me get in a position that I can then cover the pole. I know if I can do that, it will make a major difference to my performance.

Even in areas of the vault where I might already have known what he teaches, it is very reasurring to learn my thinking is consistent with the techincal model of the vault that the book teaches.

It will take some time for me to incorporate the things I have learned from the book into my vaulting. But I expect good things to follow.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:59 am

Please forgive me for doing the "copy and paste" thing from one thread to the next. But I entered the following on the "elite" section and there is a question in my comments that I think you guys will touch on and either agree or disagree with. My focus is on the take off and it's benefits physically (prevent injury) and the "steps or stages" one can take applying the model. If you'd be so kind as to read and comment, it will help me understand things better. Here's the post; Not to turn this thread into a "me" deal but if I would have made a simple correction in my take off a hundred years ago when I was vaulting in Jr. High and High School, I probably wouldn't be cussin' out my knees and lower back today.All the more reason in my opinion to coach the model. For example just somehing as small as a positioning of a take off to the ball of my foot like figure 6.11 rather than the wayI did it which I'm guessing was like figure 6.10 or "flatfoot" (mostly on my heel) would have placed my leg positioning in a spot where it could never hyperextend, thus causing less "down the road" damage. Kids now a days are made out of rubber bands(like I was back in the dark ages) with infinite elasticity. So something as simple as an incorrect take off at the time wouldn't show any effects.......until let's say 35 years later when they want to go vaulting again. Now, back to the model, would you agree or not that that one possible way to teach a free take off is to teach the vaulter to feel his take off on the ball of his foot. If he hears or feels "splat" (flatfoot) on take off, he's not there and he's still under. I don't think there is any way to be under if you conciously feel your take off on the ball of your foot. Once you're on the ball of the foot at take off every time, then it's a matter of moving take off out a few inches and next thing you know, you've got a free take off. This is how it works out in my mind. If this would be a good way to explain it to a young vaulter I'd like to know. If it s, then I know I am telling him or her something that I can visually see and explain in my own mind. The way I see it, (and correct me if I'm wrong) but the Bubka model has the benefit of being a "learn as you" go approach. In other words, a vaulter doesn't have to do the "whole thing" right off the bat to get a benifit from it. It appears to me that a vaulter can master one or two portions of it which will improve his or hers' vaulting, and then moving on to the next portion or two till that is mastered and so on. All I know is that I hope I have the ability to put some of the techniques to work for my vaulting but more importantly I want to know that I have a model to work from that will help any kids that I may have the opportunity t help with this goofy sport. I'll be interested in reading your comments to this. Later..............Mike

cougarscoach
PV Beginner

Unread postby cougarscoach » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:41 pm

souleman -

The fortunate thing is that this is an integrated technical model where one phase blends smootly into the next. So: first things first. Until the take-off is mastered it is very difficult to be in a proper position to master the swing and subsequently the inversion.

You are right about taking off of the ball of the foot. In preperation for that, if the vaulter runs the final steps of the runway with: tall hips + high knees, the vaulter will be in a good body posture to ACTIVELY claw strike the final step and everything will move forward and up = off of the ball of the foot. An active claw strike will avoid setting the foot down passively or floating into the final step. We address this in everything we do!
"if you wait until you are great to dream; you will never have dreamed enough to be great"

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:54 pm

Super! As with Master, I am applying what I'm learning from the book for my own attempt at vaulting again. On the other hand, I love kids and I love coaching. I've done baseball, football and basketball with my kids as they grew up. It's always been my worry that I might coach things that either don't work or could possibly cause "more damage" to an athlete and his or her performance than it would do good. Where the "me" comes in (if I haven't said it already) is I'm the one with the bad knee. I don't want to coach something that may cause that for a young vaulter. Later............Mike

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

BTB

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:58 pm

Souleman, cougarspvcoach, master great post guys. I've had the enourmous benefit of coaching one of Alan's proteges to a PR a couple of years ago. Couple that with endless conversations with Jim Bemiller and agapit, and Dave Johnston it has become clear to me that the model is an integral part of our training here at TN. One of the biggest aides that I have found in helping the athletes become "quick and tall" is the application of DJ's chart. It is amazing how effective it is in developing the correct approach and take off. Usually, I have found that when we develop steps from the chart instead of using an empiricle technique is that their steps typically shorten some with Dave's method. Which makes sense when you are trying to be "QUICK (read shorter steps) and tall". I would suggest you give it a try in your training Mike and John...and let us know what you think. It is the critical first phase done correctly...

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:08 pm

What was this post originally about??

But absolutely correct cougarscoach.

RE charts. While I am sure they can be of value, it is important to remember that while it is important WHERE your feet hit - especially on the take off step - HOW they strike the ground is at least as important.

If the take off foot slides or pokes forward it is moving in the wrong direction - so not only will it usually take the athlete UNDER but it will also have a braking effect and/or leave the vaulter drifting though that step with the leg soft and the hips dropping -not punching up. So even if the foot hits in the right spot it will have a negative impact on the vault. The take off foot must execute a claw strike so that it is moving backwards relative to the vaulter - just like a sprinters foot or a long jumper at take off. Note what Petrov said about the action of the take off leg.

Again look for simple solutions. The premise of BTB was that time was limited for most athletes and coaches so lets keep it as simple as possible. With this in mind the 20/20 drill is the most effective single drill for helping young athletes begin to learn how to run in the way they must if they are to be tall through the final strides into take off. However it should be accompanied by straight leg claws and 'ostriches' to set up the correct movement of the lower leg and foot.

Souleman - please do me a favour. Break your posts up into paragraphs -it is difficult for an old man like me to sort out what the questions are! ;)

What was this post originally about??
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

cougarscoach
PV Beginner

Unread postby cougarscoach » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:26 pm

To follow up Altius and help those who have not yet read Petrov's presentation in 1985, this is taken directly from that paper:

"The vaulter tries to place his leg straight and rigid, but under pressure of speed and body mass the leg bends, and then throws the vaulter up."

Body posture during the last steps of the run-up and the manner in which the final step is taken is very important!

This, however, is just one piece of the puzzle. The whole picture, when all pieces of the puzzle are put together, is based on an integrated technical model that: 1) promotes safety and 2) gets the most out of an athlete's physical capabilities. That is why I began this post, to see if others have benefited from Altius' book, as I beleive he helps both novice and advanced coaches/vaulters to get a firm handle on this technical mode. This book is one of the most complete educational offerings on the vault we have yet seen.

Bravo Alan Launder!
"if you wait until you are great to dream; you will never have dreamed enough to be great"

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

btb

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:53 pm

I guess I should apologize.....I got excited and was busted by the topic cop!!! :o

Oh, I absolutely agree cougarspvcoach...Bravo Alan!~

Tamaqua Vaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby Tamaqua Vaulter » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:58 am

nowi haven't gotten the book.......but i was wondering if i where i could get it offline.........maybe warden books?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:52 am

Tamaqua Vaulter wrote:nowi haven't gotten the book.......but i was wondering if i where i could get it offline.........maybe warden books?

It's not in any bookstores yet in the US that I know of.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:03 am

Still trying to get one of US Library Agencies to take it up - no luck so far despite our free trade deal with the USA! :crying:

However can be puchased from that great pole vault tragic at Neovault, Sean Brown, or from former Olympic Silver medallist Ron Morris at Ontrack.

To "She who must be obeyed". I apologise for the advertorial,. :o
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”