Gymnastics

A forum to discuss anything that does not have to do with pole vaulting.
BeamQueen987
PV Wannabe

Gymnastics

Unread postby BeamQueen987 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:38 pm

Is anyone also a gymnast as well as a pole vaulter. 90% of the female vaulters in my state also compete gymnastics for their high schools. I was just wondering if pole vaulting attracts gymnasts in other states.

pvchick
PV Nerd
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'10.5

Unread postby pvchick » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:47 pm

yup yup..i have been a gymnast for 13 years..im a freshman in highschool..well almost sophmore..i was on varstiy this year. how long have u been doing it..if u still do it wut gym do u go to..just sum wuestions..lol

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:15 pm

i was a gymnast for 8 years, once i entered high school and the track coach heard that, he bugged me all year to try it (he also happened to be my social studies teacher). i was quitting that year anyways, so i quit a couple months earlier to do track.
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

pvchick
PV Nerd

Unread postby pvchick » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:33 pm

kool..yea..i didnt start pole vault till outdoor season..and all thorugh indoor all the polevaulters and the coach were bugging me to do it..saying that i would be perfect for it. it was funny cuz the guy i liked was a pole vaulter..so as soon as outdoor season started i was doing pole vault..and im happy that i started..cuz it helped my strength..and i actually got stronger for gymnastics.

*TigerVault*
PV Whiz
Location: Mckendree College in Lebanon, IL - Hometown: Herrin, IL

Unread postby *TigerVault* » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:58 pm

Being in gymnastics makes u great for polevaulting...of course ive neva been in it...wish i would have.
Go Dawgs! Woof! Woof! - SIU Salukis

pvchick
PV Nerd

Unread postby pvchick » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:16 pm

haha..yea..i luv gymnastics..its pretty much my life. not so much nemore..but i used to go in and work out be4 school..then go to school and then go work out again after school..i was at the gym like 28 hours a week. but now im only there like 10 hours..big change..its nice to have a social life..haha ;) tigervault..i seem to run into u like..everywhere i go..haha..oh well..thats kool

*TigerVault*
PV Whiz
Location: Mckendree College in Lebanon, IL - Hometown: Herrin, IL

Unread postby *TigerVault* » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:17 am

haha well im not stocking u if thats what u think lol...i just post about everywhere..and i think u bout do to hehe ...but hey we are both from IL so its all good ;)
Go Dawgs! Woof! Woof! - SIU Salukis

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:17 am

I did gymnastics for 12 years, but in CA my only experiences with gymnastics have been with private gyms/clubs. Is CA the only state that doesn't have gymnastics as a school sport, or are there a lot of others?

BeamQueen987
PV Wannabe

Unread postby BeamQueen987 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:17 am

Ya im going into my junior year in high school and i was on my club team all the way through freshman year and i was a level nine. i quit and now im competing for my high school and im better than ever. Gymnastics has really helped me with pole vault and my coach loves it cuz i have naturally good form. pvchick, what are some of your best scores and what skills do you compete?

mikepv1
Muahahahaha!!

Unread postby mikepv1 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:43 am

I have been doing gymnastics for 35 years (I'm 21), and I can do 18 somersaults with 1/4 twist off the high bar, landing on 2 fingers and sticking the landing while smiling, eating a turkey sandwich, and doing judges' taxes.

LOL. Seriously, I am not a competition gymnast, but I know several vaulters who are. To be honest, competition gymnastics can give you great kinesthetic awareness and strength-to-weight advantages, but they can also be a huge handicap for sprinting mechanics.

Some vaulters who started off as gymnasts:
Yelena Isinbayeva
Lawrence Johnson
Lacy Janson

Some vaulters who were never gymnasts, but have done gymnastics training with pole vault in mind:
Sergei Bubka
Tim Mack
Paul Burgess
"For a few seconds, it is as if you are a bird."
-Sergei Bubka

meg15078
PV Whiz

Unread postby meg15078 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:03 pm

I've been in gymnastics since i was 6 my parents made me and im really glad they did.

BigStick Club
PV Nerd

Unread postby BigStick Club » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:25 pm

I think pole vault should have 2 classes: gymnasts and non-gymnasts.

Lol, just kidding. If I ever have kids though, I'm sticking them in gymnastics

Return to “General”