who do you guys think the best pv coach is??????

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:16 am

Coach Parker up here in Sacramento is the best :D Much love!

jomrus
PV Whiz

Unread postby jomrus » Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:10 am

Coach Mitchell of the University of Akron, no doubt
JR+MS=JR&MR

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:02 pm

Can't believe I haven't heard anything about Bob Slover, father of Scott Slover, a.k.a. Obi Won. He's had numerous 17 foot high schoolers not to mention loads of 16 footers. His powers are immense beyond all belief. 5 words spoken out of his mouth can change the entire year of a vaulter for the better. When he speaks, people listen. Not to mention he has a strange neon green glow around him and you can feel yourself absorbing the energy orbs as you near him. Hell, with Obi Won, he's freakin Yoda.

keelowman
PV Nerd

Unread postby keelowman » Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:47 pm

vaultguru6 wrote:Can't believe I haven't heard anything about Bob Slover, father of Scott Slover, a.k.a. Obi Won. He's had numerous 17 foot high schoolers not to mention loads of 16 footers. His powers are immense beyond all belief. 5 words spoken out of his mouth can change the entire year of a vaulter for the better. When he speaks, people listen. Not to mention he has a strange neon green glow around him and you can feel yourself absorbing the energy orbs as you near him. Hell, with Obi Won, he's freakin Yoda.

I have agree with you, if I am doing bad pv wise I just pack my stuff head up to Los Gatos. The guy is very helpful and can change your season like vaultguru6 said in 5 words or less. Plus his son jumps 5.71 which you can check out at neovault.com.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Vault coaches

Unread postby vaultmd » Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:39 pm

I think one thing just about all the aforementioned coaches have in common is that they are all good guys.

I don't know if Mike Tully was mentioned, but he's one of the best, even though he doesn't coach very often. I also don't think anyone mentioned Dick Tomlinson or Tom Tellez. When I was in high school, Dick had Sjell Isaakson (sp?), Hans Lagerquist, Steve Smith, Bobby Richards and Casey Carrigan training at El Camino College. Coach Tellez took Mike Tully from 16'4" to 17'10" during his freshman year at UCLA.

Cpvault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College/Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.50
Favorite Vaulter: Dean Starkey

Best Coach

Unread postby Cpvault » Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:06 pm

One of the best and most overlooked coaches around is Kevin Moody located in Fontana, CA. People who have been coached by him or seen his style know what I mean.

sunshinePV
PV Beginner

Unread postby sunshinePV » Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:08 pm

I'm agreeing with vaultguru ;) and my fresno buddy mike on this one. Bob Slover is no doubt one of the best coaches in the world...although he is extremely humble and doesn't admit to it. In just 3 months of jumping under Slov i've gone from a consistent 12-footer to a 13'4.5 nat'l record. Coach says I could have done it without him. Yeah...right. No matter how good of shape you can get yourself in, you still need an A+ coach to get ya over those big heights, and not a coach that tells ya everything is great and keep doing what youre doing. Slover knows how to take people to the next level like you'll never know. His understanding of the vault is incredible and its great bc im actually learning the event too. I love it when things start to make sense....cause and effect. Leaves no room for doubt. I dont know where i would be in my jump without his coaching right now. It's like there is no such thing as a bad practice with the Slovers around. They'll turn any day into a great one. :yes: ....and the sunny LG weather helps too! (hint hint...guru. :P its okay...you can come back in the summer!)
"to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift" -Pre

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:01 pm

daaaaaaaaaaaaamn.....is that our first national record holder on PV Power? hot stuff ;)

vaultin chris
PV Pro
Expertise: (Almost) Elite?
Lifetime Best: 5.42
Favorite Vaulter: Everyone Who Vaults

Unread postby vaultin chris » Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:10 pm

she is hot
Chris Smith
http://jumpchrisjump.com

dlee59
PV Newbie

Unread postby dlee59 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:17 pm

I realize this is an old thread, but hey I just joined, ok? You can't argue with Earl's accomplishments, vaulting or coaching, can't get any better. But Coach Hood, Sr. was my coach for 3 years and he's as good as they come. He could push the right buttons for me when I needed it. Amazing stuff, taught me alot very quickly. I only wish I had started at ACU out of HS. Also, don't forget Tom Tellez, he has a gift also. THE BEST! I wouldn't have enough info to make that decision. I can tell you this, as a previous poster put it, we have the best vaulting coaches in the world right here in the US.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:04 pm

Reg Hulbert, Alan Launder, Greg Cole :yes: :yes:
Just you wait...

BigStick Club
PV Nerd

Unread postby BigStick Club » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:37 pm

Earl Bell's awesome, but I gotta give props to my coach. Coach Wood is a coach in the truest sense of the word - emotionally as well as physically.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”