Thighs hitting bar?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

John
PV Beginner

Thighs hitting bar?

Unread postby John » Thu May 12, 2005 7:50 pm

Here is my next question. I have a kid who has been stuck at 11'9" Today working with the bungee up at 12' he was really getting up nicely. He had his whole body over it by a good 6 inches.... and making a great turn, but it was like his thighs kept coming down on the cross bar. Standards were around 23 (which is pretty normal for him although he has been inconsistent the last couple of weeks with standards raning from 22-26).

Any thoughts what would cause this or how I can help him...I am at a loss. His thighs were hitting it after he already completed his turn and was coming down....his hips and body or more then enough over it.

Hope someone can help us....he is a Senior with a meet on Saturday and Regionals in ONE WEEK.

THANKS!
Confused

Thanks for all of you who have replied to my questions over the past few weeks.....I really appreciate all your help.

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Sun May 15, 2005 1:48 am

Most likely he is flagging out and coming down when he turns and so his legs and chest will drop down on the bar. Move his standards in a bit to 17-18, and see how that works at practice. He needs to stay close to the pole just before he releasing/turns and he needs to not lean/fall forward too early. Also maybe drop the grip an inch to get more in, but the inversion is the key, not coming out and leaning/flagging out will make a world of difference.
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon May 16, 2005 8:24 pm

Sonds like he needs to work on aspects of the vault that move and keep the pole moving as he vaults. Plenty of hieght no penetration. Moveing the standarsds up may get him over the bar but it's not going to fix the problem.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

John
PV Beginner

Drills?

Unread postby John » Tue May 17, 2005 7:41 am

What are some drills or things I can do to help him keep moving the pole during his vault?

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Tue May 17, 2005 8:53 am

Robert schmitt wrote:Sonds like he needs to work on aspects of the vault that move and keep the pole moving as he vaults. Plenty of hieght no penetration. Moveing the standarsds up may get him over the bar but it's not going to fix the problem.

I couldn't agree more. I was just saying that is what he was doing. I have a guy doing the same thing...
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”