Ramps...

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

craigmtb
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Coach, USATF Level 1
Favorite Vaulter: Toby"Crash"Stevenson

Pole transition

Unread postby craigmtb » Thu May 05, 2005 1:56 am

Can this help train the athlete to make transitions to longer poles by forcing them to plant at the correct spot versus reaching for the old mark?
Craig Hanson
PV Coach Yelm High School

Keep vaulters safe!
(I want to keep my job)

gbob
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gbob » Thu May 05, 2005 10:49 am

One last question regarding the use of this ramp...

I thought I might have it figured out that you place the ramp sloping down toward the plant box. Then after I thought about it, with also thinking about the idea of using a spring board... would you place the ramp the other direction?

in other words:

A: ramp sloping down to the plant box. (into the pits.)

or

B: ramp sloping down toward the open runway (away from the pits.)

or does it matter?

My thoughts are, if we build one, it will actually work very nicely to lie below the roll out runway. In this case, it would hardly be visible to the vaulter to try and hit the mark... basically just running like they normally would. (Now I just need to find out which direction it needs to face.)

Ladyvolscoach, any suggestions?

-gbob

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

ramp

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu May 05, 2005 11:25 am

The ramp needs to be placed with the thinnest edge towards the vaulter so the ramp slopes up toward the pit...
But a spring board!!!!!! We could get huge poles and go for 30' Woo Hoo!!! Agapit altius, we need a new model!!!!!!

gbob
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gbob » Thu May 05, 2005 11:29 am

Good info... thanks!

gbob

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

ramp

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu May 05, 2005 11:29 am

Can this help train the athlete to make transitions to longer poles by forcing them to plant at the correct spot versus reaching for the old mark?

Craigmtb, no this will not help them to hit their take off and keep them from reaching. That is a function of the plant!! Not the take off!! When they go up a pole they will instinctively feel out!! They just have to trust the run and plant and do it. Actually, relative to the smaller grip they WILL be out! They just have take it up. The ramp will build confidence very quickly and help them to trust their step and take off.[/quote]

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”