Ramps...

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

gbob
PV Wannabe

Ramps...

Unread postby gbob » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:03 am

In the topic: "Pole Vault-Technique-Tap" both Ladyvolscoach and Agapit were discussing the Ramp that agapit built and used and volscoach currently uses... I have a few questions regarding this. I hope those two might be able to share some information on this ramp they use(d).

I like the ramp too... or atleast the one I had an opportunity to use. It was nearly 10 years ago and I only used it for a weekend. First of all, I am not sure if we are both talking about the same thing. Let me describe the ramp we used and if you could let me know if we are talking about the same thing.

The one I used was about 75-85 feet long (approximately). I would say it was roughly 2-3 feet tall (at the farthest distance out, maybe higher.) sloping the distance of the ramp into the plant box. it too was covered with roll out runway.

Is this the same thing?

The real reason I ask is this. Obviously you will be planting taller/higher and at a greater rate of speed to get on a bigger pole (I can understand the physics of it here)... but when you take that ramp away how will the athlete keep the speed up and the angle of plant as it was with the ramp?

Like I said, it has been a very long time since I had the opportunity to use a ramp and I remember being able to get on poles that I was afraid to get on... But I remember as soon as the ramp was gone, so was my ability to get on some of those poles. (Maybe my memory is totally failing me too!)

In anycase, if either of you could talk more about your "Ramp" experience, I would love to hear about it.

Plus, if anyone has any designs for ramps... I know I would like to see them. I have seen about two different designs and I "thought" I could make it easier. I am sure someone has some great designs out there.

-Thanks!

-gbob

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Ramp

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:06 pm

gbob,
the ramp we were talking about is about 2 ft in width and about 3' or so in length (agapit will most assuradly convert these lengths to metric). It is light enough to pick up and move off the runway. With the thickness of the 3/4 inch plywood substructure and the mondo topping the shallow end of the ramp is about 1.5 inches tall. The ramp rests on the regular runway. The higher end is elevated another 3/4". Giving a slight incline and elevation above the runway. When a vaulter is trying to raise grips or go up a pole the additional angle and height reduces the effect of the higher grip and/or stiffer pole. The athlete gains confidence and learns to attack the take-off with a much more effective take-off in a short time. Typically, within a couple of practices the ramp can be removed for good and the transition is successful. I hope my ramblings aren't more confusing than they are clearifying.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed May 04, 2005 12:09 am

Would I be correct in saying this 2'x3' "ramp" is placed at the location the take off foot lands? And that this allows the vaulter to be "taller" which in turn allows the pole angle from the horizontal to be larger?

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Wed May 04, 2005 3:27 am

What additional stress does that place on the athlete joints though? If only the toe of the take off foot is touching on that last stride (ie relying on a great deal of support from the ancles) - wouldnt that put added stress on the ancle, and at an angle its not used to, due to the incline of the ramp? Has anyone ever rolled or hurt their ancles doing this drill? Just curious.
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

gbob
PV Wannabe

Re: Ramp

Unread postby gbob » Wed May 04, 2005 8:42 am

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:gbob,
the ramp we were talking about is about 2 ft in width and about 3' or so in length (agapit will most assuradly convert these lengths to metric). It is light enough to pick up and move off the runway. With the thickness of the 3/4 inch plywood substructure and the mondo topping the shallow end of the ramp is about 1.5 inches tall. The ramp rests on the regular runway. The higher end is elevated another 3/4". Giving a slight incline and elevation above the runway. When a vaulter is trying to raise grips or go up a pole the additional angle and height reduces the effect of the higher grip and/or stiffer pole. The athlete gains confidence and learns to attack the take-off with a much more effective take-off in a short time. Typically, within a couple of practices the ramp can be removed for good and the transition is successful. I hope my ramblings aren't more confusing than they are clearifying.

So to clarify... the ramp's dimensions are as follows:

2' x 3' .75" plywood, covered with mondo surface. The 2' x 3' piece of plywood covered with mondo is then raised another .75" from the height farthest from the plant box. The heighest point would be approximately 2.25" up... this would also give you about a 2.2 degree angle.

Bottom line: this is a very slight angle and height, but has major effects on ones confidence. I like the idea... I hope I have this info correct.

Basically we are talking about two different things, though I really like this idea. I think it sounds like a great tool in the efforts to be comfortable with a bigger pole. The biggest plus... it is so simple and easy to make and use.

Thanks Guys... Any more information on this, either of your experiences or other thoughts are always welcome.

Thanks again...

-gbob

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

ramp

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed May 04, 2005 12:56 pm

Master, you are correct about the placement. Actually, you can work with the location to give a slightly higher take off point by moving the ramp around very slightly. But, yes the take off is right in the middle of the ramp.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

ramp

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed May 04, 2005 12:58 pm

USMC Vaulter, actually there is no additional strain or stress to the body. Usually, the first run down the runway the vaulters will look at the ramp and fixate on it, and freak!! The next time they focus on the box and don't even notice the ramp. It is a very subtle tool that is very very effective....thanks, agapit!!!

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

ramp

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed May 04, 2005 1:03 pm

gbob I have a lady who has never vaulted before last October, but wanted to be a walk-on. She went through the weight training and gymnastics training and really responded well strength wise. She is 5'1" tall and weighs about 105. I started her on a 12' 110lb pole. She is now capping that pole and jumped 11' her first time over a bungee. The ramp was the pivotal tool that built her confidence extremely quickly. It allowed her to get in with minimal experience and move up grips at a very rapid rate. She is blowing through the 110 so we're moving up and the ramp is back on the runway!!!

gbob
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gbob » Wed May 04, 2005 1:57 pm

Excellent... sounds like I need to build one of these ramps... QUICK! thanks!

-gbob

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Wed May 04, 2005 11:22 pm

And if you really wanna make things interesting, replace the ramp with a gymnastics spring board. Instant 1'-1'6" improvement on the PR.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Wed May 04, 2005 11:50 pm

SlickVT wrote:And if you really wanna make things interesting, replace the ramp with a gymnastics spring board. Instant 1'-1'6" improvement on the PR.

hahah

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu May 05, 2005 1:26 am

SlickVT wrote:And if you really wanna make things interesting, replace the ramp with a gymnastics spring board. Instant 1'-1'6" improvement on the PR.

That's all my teammate in college would do in practice. He HAD to jump with a springboard on the runway, or he would just run through all practice. It became a pretty bad crutch actually. We threatened to burn the thing unless he took off. It did allow him to raise his grip a bunch though and use bigger poles.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”