collapsing bottom arm

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

i_heart_pv
PV Fan

collapsing bottom arm

Unread postby i_heart_pv » Sun May 01, 2005 7:05 pm

i keep collapsing my bottom arm at takeoff, and i know that makes a HUGE loss of energy. I was wondering if there was a way to fix this?? I am on a 10'8 100, gripping 9'2.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun May 01, 2005 7:11 pm

My coach always told me that the best way to keep the bottom arm out is to just do it. You have to think about keeping your arm out at take-off. Working on plant drills helps out alot. The pole you are on also may make it difficult to hold the bottom arm out. You are gripping so far down that you are trying to make the pole bend in a different place than it was desined to.
Man Up and Jump

illmatic3
PV Fan

Unread postby illmatic3 » Sun May 01, 2005 7:43 pm

i thought that keeping a straight bottom arm is bad because it obstructs a much needed swing to attempt to get inverted.

idunno, i'm always hearing about people keeping a straight bottom arm to bend the pole. i know that as long as you have a good swing, it'll be sufficient to bend the pole. a stiff bottom arm doesn't allow a proper swing, correct?
I am the Revolutionary.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun May 01, 2005 7:49 pm

I'm not talking about have the bottom arm straight, just out. In order to swing efficiently, the bottom arm will have to collapse eventually I believe.
Man Up and Jump

illmatic3
PV Fan

Unread postby illmatic3 » Sun May 01, 2005 7:57 pm

collapse on the inside of the pole..

i think i block with my bottom arm. people also tell me that i let go of the bar too early. way before it's even vertical. i'm always landing on the right side of the mat from the run way. i can land in the middle if i really try to.

tomorrow at practice i'm going to bring my digi-cam to record my jumps, i want to see what i'm doing wrong. if i can get the technique part down, i think i should clear 12.
I am the Revolutionary.

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sun May 01, 2005 8:06 pm

yeah the bottom arm straight OUT does screw the swing, but the bottom arm straight UP is good, as long as you keep your shoulders open and get in the pocket
What have you done today to get better?

cstary
PV Wannabe

Unread postby cstary » Wed May 04, 2005 1:51 pm

Collapsing the bottom arm isn't necessarily "bad" technique. Until the early 80's, almost all elite jumpers collapsed their bottom arms, and were consistently jumping high 18's that way.

What matters most is the top hand . . . high as possible, and keep that hand moving forward. Backing off the pressure on the bottom arm makes it easier to get back too.

You can transfer more energy into the pole with a straight bottom arm, but it could lead to blocking the swing if you don't know when to let off the pressure, so it's a tricky balance, and that's what makes vaulting such a technical event. I agree with the previous post - pushing both arms up is a more correct way to conceptualize it.

Back to the elite vaulters . . . Coach Anothony Curren told me a story a few weeks ago: he consistenly jumped 18' for 10 years with a collapsing bottom arm, but could never go any higher. Finally, he tried making the transition to a stronger bottom arm. Two years later (at age 32!) he PR'd at 18'8". So maybe all those 19' jumpers in the 80's could have been that much better if they had all been jumping with a stronger bottom arm?

Now, almost all elite vaulters have a strong bottom arm, so, being a young vaulter, that's the direction you should be thinking. SLIDING BOX is the best way to (IMO) to drill the correct plant technique and to work the arms.

Creed

LPVG
PV Fan

Collapsing your bottom arm

Unread postby LPVG » Mon May 09, 2005 3:35 pm

Here's a visualization I give my vaulters. If you are a girl, imagine that the UGLIEST guy with the WORST breath in your school wants a kiss from you. What are you going to do? Use your bottom arm to push him away. If one of my athletes still collapses the lower arm, I draw a set of lips on his/her lower hand at the intersection of the thumb and first finger. When they jump, I have them look up at their bottom hand. If the lips are getting closer, better push him/her away or you are in trouble (might even be in love). If you are a guy, change gender for the visualization

Generally gets a laugh, but the visualization is enough to make them think about pushing (straightening) the lower arm.

Good luck

blakedow
PV Nerd

Unread postby blakedow » Mon May 09, 2005 4:26 pm

Having a bent bottom arm isnt necessarily a bad thing, look at stacy dragila. It isnt so much that you have to "lock it out" but just keep upward pressure... The worst thing you can do is try to lock it out in front of you because then you are blocking out your swing... I used to think that you have to keep your bottom arm straight and out in front of you, but then I realized that i couldnt swing because of it... Everybody wants to have a bottom arm like derek miles or sergey bubka, but it takes alot of time and practice... Dont be discouraged, it will happen, just dont develop bad habits by trying to lock your bottom arm... :)
4.75... Write THAT down...

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon May 16, 2005 12:59 am

Take a look at the photos of Lauren Eley on Page 43 of Beginner to Bubka.

Problem you have is that when you are gripping so low, the high pole ground angle when you plant makes it difficult for you to press upwards through the pole - so simply concentrate on maintaining pressure through the pole with your left hand/arm/whole body - but whatever you do try to stay behind the pole for as long as possible early on. See photos Pages 77 and 78 BTB. :D

Remember that what is technically desirable must be physically possible.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed May 18, 2005 12:41 am

illmatic3 wrote:i thought that keeping a straight bottom arm is bad because it obstructs a much needed swing to attempt to get inverted.

idunno, i'm always hearing about people keeping a straight bottom arm to bend the pole. i know that as long as you have a good swing, it'll be sufficient to bend the pole. a stiff bottom arm doesn't allow a proper swing, correct?

right on
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed May 18, 2005 12:43 am

altius wrote:Take a look at the photos of Lauren Eley on Page 43 of Beginner to Bubka.

Problem you have is that when you are gripping so low, the high pole ground angle when you plant makes it difficult for you to press upwards through the pole - so simply concentrate on maintaining pressure through the pole with your left hand/arm/whole body - but whatever you do try to stay behind the pole for as long as possible early on. See photos Pages 77 and 78 BTB. :D

Remember that what is technically desirable must be physically possible.

That girl is amazing. Good showcase altius.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”