Mall Vault

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:18 am

CHC04Vault wrote:
Scott Go Pre wrote:me and my friend are wanting to put one on at our hometown mall. I think that it would be so much fun.

I'd so drive down to Alabama just for that...if i could jump of course, lol.

I'm not really from Alabama, I'm from Tallahassee, Florida. I just go to college in Alabama, Troy University.
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

gbob
PV Wannabe

Re: Mall Vault

Unread postby gbob » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:50 pm

cdmilton wrote:There was one at the Mall of America in Minnesota back in 1996.

I had the opportunity to vault at that Mall of America- Mega mall- "mega vault" in 96... Being that I have never vaulted at the Vault Summit, it was the largest crowed I have ever vaulted in front of.

It became an "exhibition" instead of a competition to ensure we weren't breaking any NCAA rules violations at the time, but in anycase, it was extremely fun.

Martin Erickson from the main U at that time was there, he was somewhere from the Northern European countries and had been involved in street vaults in europe more than any of us had ever been involved with... he really got the crowed into it which made the experience so much more enjoyable.

KJH did a great job in putting it all together and made for one of my most memorable experiences as a vaulter.

I wish I would have gotten all the names of the vaulters there that day because I am sure there were quite a few future greats that were there that day.

I still wear my tshirt to practice on occasions to show off. I also have a video clip from the news report on the event... (If I could find it) (VHS) I would definatly post it... but I would need to know how to transfer it to some format to post that clip.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Re: Mall Vault

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:24 pm

gbob wrote:
cdmilton wrote:There was one at the Mall of America in Minnesota back in 1996.

I had the opportunity to vault at that Mall of America- Mega mall- "mega vault" in 96... Being that I have never vaulted at the Vault Summit, it was the largest crowed I have ever vaulted in front of.

It became an "exhibition" instead of a competition to ensure we weren't breaking any NCAA rules violations at the time, but in anycase, it was extremely fun.

Martin Erickson from the main U at that time was there, he was somewhere from the Northern European countries and had been involved in street vaults in europe more than any of us had ever been involved with... he really got the crowed into it which made the experience so much more enjoyable.

KJH did a great job in putting it all together and made for one of my most memorable experiences as a vaulter.

I wish I would have gotten all the names of the vaulters there that day because I am sure there were quite a few future greats that were there that day.

I still wear my tshirt to practice on occasions to show off. I also have a video clip from the news report on the event... (If I could find it) (VHS) I would definatly post it... but I would need to know how to transfer it to some format to post that clip.

Steve White, SJU/CSB coach jumped there.

If you can find the video, I can get it into a digital format.
Chris Milton

gbob
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gbob » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:22 pm

Goin to see my folks this weekend... if it is anywhere... its at their house. I hope to find it... it was a nice little piece done by KARE11 that weekend.

If I find it... its all yours! It would be fun to see again! I will let you know...

thanks Steve...

-g

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:38 pm

gbob wrote:Goin to see my folks this weekend... if it is anywhere... its at their house. I hope to find it... it was a nice little piece done by KARE11 that weekend.

If I find it... its all yours! It would be fun to see again! I will let you know...

thanks Steve...

-g

Sweet! BTW...I'm not Steve! ;)
Chris Milton

gbob
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gbob » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:56 pm

yup... sorry Chris... didnt fully read that last post... i thought Steve was using your "id". I will let you know if I find that tape...

g

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:28 pm

mall vault...montreal canada... proir to the world championships... 1979

dj & bruce simpson

dj

ps it was pretty kool..three floor mall with the vaulters jumping over the heads of the people on the second floor...
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:37 pm

haha...I just showed the picture to one of my f/b friends...and he asked skeptically 'would YOU pole vault in a mall?' ....
my response: 'I would pole vault anywhere.' and I'm sure we would all have the same response... i love you guys...*tear*

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:59 pm

With that...i would like to add ive thought about vaulting in a church. the aisles are so wide and inviting, but i think i would get struck by lightning, any1 had thoughts about that???
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

FCCVaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby FCCVaulter » Tue May 10, 2005 11:47 am

thats one of the best ideas ive ever heard of...man..now u got me thinking hmmm..all u really need is a raised runway and a way to transport a pit..that would be soo fun..even in a parking lot of a mall..itd be like Street Vault..for those of u who know about it in old town clovis..it would be FUN...muahahahahha
"Ne body else wanna slap the waitresses in Reno who walked around saying KENO!!"

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed May 11, 2005 10:01 am

anybody remember the beach vault at Manhattan Beach, California?? 1989-90..

a six city "circuitâ€Â
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

opalkak
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.45m

Unread postby opalkak » Wed May 11, 2005 12:28 pm

It really might be sad, but every where I go I'm looking at buildings trying to figure out if I could vault inside.
...success is doing what you can do well and doing well whatever you can do

Return to “Pole Vault - General”