Mystic Color

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

What do you think of the current Mystic color "Bright Red"

I am a girl and I dislike "Bright Red"
15%
I am a girl and I like "Bright Red"
18%
I am a guy and I dislike "Bright Red"
29%
I am a guy and I like "Bright Red"
24%
I don't have an opinion, but I really like answering polls
15%

Total votes: 68

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:32 pm

Bonevt wrote:
How about no mystic pole at all? Its silly to make a "ladys" pole just because its lighter. Thats like ladys cereal + energy bars Its just a marketing scheme. You cant get a ladys essx spirit. so why the mystic?

As far as I know the mistic poles are narrower then some other poles, so that girls(small ppl) can grip them better.

Yes they are narrower... which makes them HEAVIER. They went too narrow with them. Girls of any size have no problem hanging on to an 18 or 16 mandrel, it is overkill to make most of the Mystics on a 21 mandrel.

Most Mystics are skinnier and heavier than their ESSX and UCS Spirit counterparts. They're more like Altius poles in terms of carry weight.

One of the improvements Gill will be making in the Mystics next year is putting them on a little bit larger mandrel size, creating a lighter pole.

Every girl I have ever talked to about it has said they would prefer a little bit bigger mandrel if it meant a lighter pole. I am talking about 12'6" and shorter lengths here... I am sure mandrel size is a bigger issue for girls on bigger poles... but it's really not as much of an issue on the small ones.

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:15 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
Bonevt wrote:
How about no mystic pole at all? Its silly to make a "ladys" pole just because its lighter. Thats like ladys cereal + energy bars Its just a marketing scheme. You cant get a ladys essx spirit. so why the mystic?

As far as I know the mistic poles are narrower then some other poles, so that girls(small ppl) can grip them better.

Yes they are narrower... which makes them HEAVIER. They went too narrow with them. Girls of any size have no problem hanging on to an 18 or 16 mandrel, it is overkill to make most of the Mystics on a 21 mandrel.

Most Mystics are skinnier and heavier than their ESSX and UCS Spirit counterparts. They're more like Altius poles in terms of carry weight.

One of the improvements Gill will be making in the Mystics next year is putting them on a little bit larger mandrel size, creating a lighter pole.

Every girl I have ever talked to about it has said they would prefer a little bit bigger mandrel if it meant a lighter pole. I am talking about 12'6" and shorter lengths here... I am sure mandrel size is a bigger issue for girls on bigger poles... but it's really not as much of an issue on the small ones.

Becca, you are definitely onto something. My biggest complaint about picking up any mystic pole is that for a small stick they certainly are heavy! The majority of high school girls I have known have had more problems with upperbody strength/carrying the pole, then they have had with gripping the pole.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

yes that is a good thing to do

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:30 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
Bonevt wrote:

yes that is a good thing We had to do that to the Catapoles when we started making them. Moved to a slightly larger manderal to lighten them and then we set the design for them to not bend in the lower part of the pole also with similar ESSX roll-over action.
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

TAMPAKINGPV
PV Wannabe

Unread postby TAMPAKINGPV » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:13 pm

HAHA. ah the memories...yes that is the newer line....

all of our light vaulters than can to our schoo started on it. We dubbed her "the pink pony"...she was a beaut. that was years ago. and the color is def. HOT PINK.

also, like ESSX said, ours say Ms. STIC, where Ms. was written from bottom to top sideways, and STIC was written horizontally.

i always though MYSTIC looked weird on the newer ones to me...good point ESSX

geoff
"I'm not usually to focused on who I'm jumping against. The competition at the meet is more me against the crossbar."

blakedow
PV Nerd

Unread postby blakedow » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:15 am

I think fuschia would be quite nice... I always liked doing my swing drills on mystics before meets because it made me seem less threatening... which I wasnt anyways, but i thought it was funny....
4.75... Write THAT down...

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Mon May 09, 2005 6:13 pm

I Love the bright red!!! I want my white poles could be that color

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Wed May 11, 2005 10:30 pm

I've always called them "orange" to spin it so that my guys wouldn't mind using them. "Red"? You've got to be kidding! That's not "red".

I agree, marketing them for "smaller" jumpers would be better than worrying about gender.

How about dark blue, like the old skypoles?
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Wed May 11, 2005 10:42 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:What do you all think about the poles being marketed more for SMALLER vaulters instead of FEMALE vaulters?

Thats a lot better of an idea....I'd still change the color :P.

Tamaqua Vaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby Tamaqua Vaulter » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:19 pm

i use a 135lbs pink one.......they make me feel small toward the other vaulters......but am usally higher than them ;)

FlyerChick4
PV Nerd

Unread postby FlyerChick4 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:48 pm

I really don't think the color is a big deal...our guys used the pink poles when they needed it and didn't care at all. but i do have to say i like the purple mystic better. as for a girls pole i think it is good cause otherwise girls wouldn't have carbon poles and i love my carbons!!!!!!!!!!! the zebra is way cool on the carbons. but here is a problem with changing colors

UCS SPIRIT, Pacer FX, Pacer FX Carbon- white
Carbon Mystic- black and white
Altius- Old-dark blue new- light blue
Old Catapoles- black
trainers are red
Nordics are orange and white or blue and white
big sticks are usually purple and altius and mystic have made purple ones too

there really isn't another color to make them but i like 'em pink(i don't use them anymore though...too soft) it think the girls pole idea is great and the fact that it is a girls color too!
This year your gonna have to work twice as hard.

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:12 pm

Has there been any resolution to the color question fore Mystics?
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:50 pm

They didn't change the color, just the mandrel sizes. The new ones are "bright red" with black stickers on the top and bottom instead of yellow.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”