Pole Vault Manifesto

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

Is 18ft vault possible for women

Poll ended at Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:12 pm

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 61

agapit
PV Follower

Re: manifesto

Unread postby agapit » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:55 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:I discerne a Ukrainian accent in your writings agapit!! Am I correct??

Russian
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

manifesto

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:58 pm

It was good talking to you today, Russian!!

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

manifesto

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:59 pm

Wgat was with the cowboy hat and gotee(sp)??!!

agapit
PV Follower

Re: manifesto

Unread postby agapit » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:00 am

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:Wgat was with the cowboy hat and gotee(sp)??!!

hey my wife finds it sexy

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:37 pm

while i am surely no expert...

i have to say that i do agree with a lot of the concepts described, but some of the comparisons are just pointless. Yes, its true that markov has almost no shot at 6.40.. but honestly bubka woulda had to line one up perfect. He had tons of height on some 6.00+ bars but hes often nearly hit bars on the way up and on the way down.. but just had huge hip height none the less. It also should be said that bubka is both taller and faster than markov... so he already should be able to jump higher.

also saying that people are jumping on a 6.00 model is just kind of weird too. No one jumps 6.0m and then suddenly goes oops well i better cross over to a 6.20 model so i can PR again. I think people continously evolve through a series of strengthening the weak links. not by following on pattern forever. Different strokes for different folks.

but i do believe the basis of a lot of this is true. Especially the part drawing comparisons to old straigh pole vaults. The physics makes much more sense.

anyway.. my .02 is out there
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:03 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:while i am surely no expert...

i have to say that i do agree with a lot of the concepts described, but some of the comparisons are just pointless. Yes, its true that markov has almost no shot at 6.40.. but honestly bubka woulda had to line one up perfect. He had tons of height on some 6.00+ bars but hes often nearly hit bars on the way up and on the way down.. but just had huge hip height none the less. It also should be said that bubka is both taller and faster than markov... so he already should be able to jump higher.

also saying that people are jumping on a 6.00 model is just kind of weird too. No one jumps 6.0m and then suddenly goes oops well i better cross over to a 6.20 model so i can PR again. I think people continously evolve through a series of strengthening the weak links. not by following on pattern forever. Different strokes for different folks.

but i do believe the basis of a lot of this is true. Especially the part drawing comparisons to old straigh pole vaults. The physics makes much more sense.

anyway.. my .02 is out there

I appreciate the honest opinion. Japanese scientist using advanced computer and video graphics calculated the bar clearance in several Bubka’s jumps 6.40, 6.38, 6.32 etc. You can argue with that but I tell you, we all new that he could do it.

Next Markov is not shorter than Bubka and he runs as fast. And there is a difference in the models 6.05 and “6.40 Modelâ€Â

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:26 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:I think people continously evolve through a series of strengthening the weak links. not by following on pattern forever. Different strokes for different folks.

It is true that continuous improvement is one way to go, however it would be nice if Mack realized what he realized 10 years earlier say at 21 years of age.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:18 am

agapit wrote:
VTechVaulter wrote:I think people continously evolve through a series of strengthening the weak links. not by following on pattern forever. Different strokes for different folks.

It is true that continuous improvement is one way to go, however it would be nice if Mack realized what he realized 10 years earlier say at 21 years of age.

oh i have no doubt that bubka could have cleared some of those bars. he was an increbible athlete and technician. i guess i see what your saying about the models. your just trying to introduce improvements in certain aspects of current philosophy... which makes sense.

i actually have a question for you that im curious about. What is your philophy and amount of pole bends. I noticed that bubka on a lot of his big jumps didn't bend his pole nearly as much as many people do now. I think this is part of what helped him move so well through the whole jump, i think a big bend slows down your movement through the box (obviously to a point, no bend at all isn't good either).
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:54 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:
agapit wrote:

oh i have no doubt that bubka could have cleared some of those bars. he was an increbible athlete and technician. i guess i see what your saying about the models. your just trying to introduce improvements in certain aspects of current philosophy... which makes sense.

i actually have a question for you that im curious about. What is your philophy and amount of pole bends. I noticed that bubka on a lot of his big jumps didn't bend his pole nearly as much as many people do now. I think this is part of what helped him move so well through the whole jump, i think a big bend slows down your movement through the box (obviously to a point, no bend at all isn't good either).

my opinion is that everyone should forget about the fact that pole bends at all. It will bend exactly right amount depending on the amount of energy generated during the first phase. if you are focusing on the pole bend you are redistributing energy and not efficient by definition.

Ther right way to view it is: "the pole will bend as much as I have generated speed in the approach and as much as I generated energy during the inversion."

padow
PV Beginner

Unread postby padow » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:15 pm

My favorite saying - "Its not pole bending, its pole vaulting!"

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:41 pm

agapit-

I agree with almost all of the physics of this model. I think its a great biomechanical perspective to what is going on actually. I was reading it with a roommate of mine up here at good ol' LaX, and we are really confused about part of it...

" 4. Chest penetration is a compensatory action that redistributes rather than creates energy in the system. It helps pole penetration, but it does delay pull-push and for this reason alone must be abandoned if a vaulter inspire to ever clear a world record height (for men) or 5.20 (17 ft) for women. "

I have read 'chest penetration' as driving with your chest. If that is wrong, then what is meant? But if that is indeed the interpretation, does that imply that someone should rock back right away to get ahead of the pole? If so, then how is someone to get onto a bigger stick? Watching that clip from Bubka at 6.11m, his cest gets forward, but he doesn't really extend his shoulder until he starts moving the pole forward... I'm really curious about the definition of 'chest penetration,' what is the happy medium between penetration, drive and rockback?

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:08 pm

agapit wrote:
my opinion is that everyone should forget about the fact that pole bends at all. It will bend exactly right amount depending on the amount of energy generated during the first phase. if you are focusing on the pole bend you are redistributing energy and not efficient by definition.

Ther right way to view it is: "the pole will bend as much as I have generated speed in the approach and as much as I generated energy during the inversion."

i guess what i mean is.. how would you decide weather to go up sticks or grip. what is ideal in your mind
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”