Winning Height 6' at Caddo Relays (article)

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:19 pm

that's unbelievable!!! :dazed:

*TigerVault*
PV Whiz
Location: Mckendree College in Lebanon, IL - Hometown: Herrin, IL

Unread postby *TigerVault* » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:42 pm

well i think that as long as its a small meet then they should start where ever the lowest jumper wants b/c why not give everyone a chance. there has been girls around me that have vaulted around 4'6 and it just doesnt bother me to let them start that low. but i must say starting that low for guys is crazy :(

jmpngblonde
PV Nerd

Unread postby jmpngblonde » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:26 pm

i agree....meets should open at least 7 in dual meets and higher in bigger ones...at disney this year there was only like 4 or 5 people in by the time the bar got to like 9...and it opened at 6 so by the time i came in at 10, id warmed up like 2 hours before...there should be height requirements for those meets like there is at FL relays

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:37 pm

you might as well just have the opening hight people just being able to get into the pit :) ..lol

Jennapv
PV Fan

Unread postby Jennapv » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:15 am

When PV was an exhibition event at the AL Indoor State meet in 2000, the first "height" was the crossbar lying on the mat. I believe every girl cleared this....but it then went up to some height so low that the bar tenders had to HOLD it because the standards didn't go down that far! Everyone was jumping very very low...I think I went 7 or 7'6 to win.
"Twenty more, Cass."

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:53 am

Just a recommendation:

Varsity Boys: 10'0
JV Boys: 9'0
8th Grade Boys: 8'0
7th Grade Boys: 7'0

Varsity Girls: 8'0
JV Girls: 7'0
8th Grade Girls: 6'0
7th Grade Girls: 5'0
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:34 pm

Lonestar, thats a good recommendation, except some states can't produce great vaulters cause of the weather. Here in maryland it is:

Varsity Guys: 8'6"
JV Guys: 7'6"
Varsity Girls: 6'

Though the Varsity guys is 8'6" there is a understood agreement that you will not be on varisty unles you can jump at least 10'. I don't think i've ever seen some1 NH in a meet. So pretty much i think coaches need to be realistic. I know us marylanders arn't exaclty the best vaulters, but we try but are realistic.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:40 pm

I think lonestar's recommendations are great for the larger states with better jumpers - but for us small guys like Delaware, we're not quite ready for that. I really wish we were, plus it would be alot better on the time schedule and for the better vaulters - but we're just not there yet. CHC04Vault had better numbers for us Dela-where?-ians.

With that being said - I plan on doing everything I can to get us small east coast states in the mix of things with better coaching and better vaulting.
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:20 pm

Lonestar, that would be nice, but once again it has been mentioned that the lack of competition is no fun either. I can remember some of the most fun I had while vaulting was during my freshman or sophomore years when there were 6 of us at a meet and all of us were capable of between 8 and 10 feet. It was nip and tuck AND FUN! A great competition, all taking place between 8 and 10 feet! 1st through 5th were happy with their results and the 6th place guy I think probably PR'd. It was win win all the way around and (because the vault always ends a meet) the team points from the vault decided the meet. The proudest I ever was was in 7th grade when I took 3rd place at the conference meet, JV division with a 8' jump (let's face it not a real impressive height) . I still have that yellow ribbon though. My junior and senior years in most cases, for me it could have been 1 jump and go home. But I would always come in at a lower height just for the fun of it. So, in closing, each meet and situation needs to be looked at individually. Every "teens" jumper had a time in his or her life when 6' was insurmountable. The bottom of the standards starting height is probably a good place to start but make it a competetion no matter what. If you have five 8 foot jumpers and one 14 foot jumper that's nobodies fault. The 14 footer is going to win no doubt, but the coaches who are counting on the team points from those other guys, you can bet want the competition to go on. Later...............Mike
Last edited by souleman on Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:23 pm

Jennapv wrote:When PV was an exhibition event at the AL Indoor State meet in 2000, the first "height" was the crossbar lying on the mat. I believe every girl cleared this....but it then went up to some height so low that the bar tenders had to HOLD it because the standards didn't go down that far! Everyone was jumping very very low...I think I went 7 or 7'6 to win.

Haha the state meet my senior year (2000 in WA) was the first year it was a scored event. The opening height is 6" below the lowest qualifier. Lowest was 5'6", so we opened at 5'0".

They had the standards... then the extenders... but they only went down to 6'0". They didn't have any more extenders, so they took the tops off a second set of standards and duct taped them to the sides of the existing standards... :confused:

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:16 pm

for most of our small meets, they will set opening height as low as the standards go with all the extensions, so usually around 6' or so. i don't mind giving other girls who may be new to the sport an opportunity to compete but it's kind of a downer to warm-up and then not enter the competition until almost 2 hours later.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:48 pm

The way to keep from waiting for two hours to jump after warm ups is start at lower heights. You just have to be sure that you concentrate enough to not make any misses at the lower heights. By jumping at the lower heights you are staying loose and having some fun jumping. Not only that, but you'll psyche the other competitors out by clearing the lower heights by a mile. Later........Mike

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”