It's just pole vaulting...

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

It's just pole vaulting...

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:19 am

I decided 2 weeks ago to try pushing the pole down the runway instead of carrying it. If you don't know what I am talking about, check out this video of Britni Lawrence... http://www.polevaultworld.com/Lawrence12%279.mpg

I've been struggling the past couple years with getting scared from my long run and running through. Not fun.

I've thought about pushing the pole off and on for the past year or so, but I never thought I'd be able to do it. I tried it a few times from 2 lefts last fall and never really got the timing right.

About 2 weeks ago we were practicing outside, and it was cold with a strong swirling crosswind. All my teammates were running through left and right as the wind blew their pole tips around. I decided it would be as good of a day as any to try pushing the pole from 3 and 4 lefts.

It was a little weird at first, but it actually started clicking! My coach was really impressed. I was getting off the ground and doing well.

I jumped at LSU doing this from 4 lefts, but only cleared 10 feet. I was under most of the time and having trouble making it work. I kept practicing it and got a 5 left run dialed in.

I competed at Mississippi State and cleared 11-6 for a lifetime PR. I haven't had a lifetime PR in almost 3 years!

I definitely am not telling people to switch. It's not for everybody, and most people have trouble switching to pushing if they've been carrying all along.

I do think people should keep an open mind about it! I am lucky that my coach (Lane Lohr) has been really supportive. He's never coached anybody that does this before, but he is excited that I am jumping high. I got on a bigger pole than I was last year (maybe my biggest pole ever?) and was gripping as high as I was indoors from a longer run.

:)

mikepv1
Muahahahaha!!

Unread postby mikepv1 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:56 am

M I C H A E L
M I C H A E L
M I C H A E L
M I C H A E L
M I C H A E L
M I C H A E L
M I C H A E L
"For a few seconds, it is as if you are a bird."
-Sergei Bubka

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:03 am

Thanks for the seal of approval :)

mikepv1
Muahahahaha!!

Unread postby mikepv1 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:29 am

lol
No problem. ;)
"For a few seconds, it is as if you are a bird."

-Sergei Bubka

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:34 pm

Becca, what are the advantages of a pole push??? im very intrigued because i saw a JV kid do this while i jumped in high school, but turns out he did it wrong cause he pushed the pole...and jumped with one arm, i laughed, but have always wondered what the benifits would be if he did it right.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:58 pm

CHC04Vault wrote:Becca, what are the advantages of a pole push??? im very intrigued because i saw a JV kid do this while i jumped in high school, but turns out he did it wrong cause he pushed the pole...and jumped with one arm, i laughed, but have always wondered what the benifits would be if he did it right.

For me, I am running faster, getting in better position at takeoff, and being a lot more consistent about not running through, and not being scared to go up poles. Those only apply to me though, they wouldn't necessarily apply to anyone else.

Overall, it is a lot easier to teach beginners, and it can be an advantage in windy conditions.

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:30 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote: it can be an advantage in windy conditions.

would have been nice to have in my arsenal for the last 3 weeks.....but can it stop the rain? ;)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:40 pm

Vault&Flip wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote: it can be an advantage in windy conditions.

would have been nice to have in my arsenal for the last 3 weeks.....but can it stop the rain? ;)

No, but I actually feel more confident in rain with it ;) I spray some sticky on my top hand, use a garbage bag to keep it dry between jumps, and hang on tight :P

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:29 pm

QUESTION.....

When u mean "pushing the pole" do you mean, carrying the pole tip lower, from the begining? Or do you mean something you do at the take off???HELP!!!

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Pushing the pole

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:52 pm

Pushing the pole is when the tip of the pole is on the runway the entire way down the runway. Hold the pole in your right hand above your head and run like crazy! This allows you to use your left hand to aid in the run. You raise your left hand at take off and grab thepole. Lots of folks learn this way. Several high school and some college vaulters use this technique.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Pushing the pole

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:04 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:Hold the pole in your right hand above your head and run like crazy!

LOL close... I run with my right hand near my shoulder, until I get close to the box and ready to plant.

izzystickchick, watch this video of Britni and you will see what we are talking about.

http://www.polevaultworld.com/Lawrence12%279.mpg

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:27 pm

I think your problem is a psycological problem...try just going and not stopping...if you get hurt, don't blame me

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”