Distance Double Plus Pole Vault...

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
PCHSpolevaulter16
PV Fan

Unread postby PCHSpolevaulter16 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:52 am

wow i run distance and polevault too!!! It kinda sucks when i have to run the 4x800 and try to polevault and then go and run the open 800 or the 1600 and try to go vault some more. It really tires me out. I think that i would have gotten about 2' higher last night if i wouldnt had ran, but i guess thats just another excuse for me not to win....hahaha

vaultmom
PV Fan

disatnce and vault

Unread postby vaultmom » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 pm

I am not sure it matters too much in high school unless you are a top class vaulter... BUt there is a significant differenc in how you train for sprints or distance and to excel in the vault you want to devlop those fast twitch muscle fibers... All my kids did X-country in high school and my best vaulter went 16'1" as a senior... he ran X country for conditioning but did not do distnce during track season. He did run the 400IH but no significant long distance because it hurt his speed work... My daughter was an 11'0" vaulter in college... ( before it was approved in most HS's)
and she also ran 3200 and x country in college. Gave up the vault after hurting her elbow and went back to doing the steeplechase.
Bob's Mom
Raise the bar

PCHSpolevaulter16
PV Fan

Unread postby PCHSpolevaulter16 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:19 pm

lol i am just that unlucky guy who is ok at every distance but i am not really great at anything.......my 800 is like 2:05 my mile is 4:55 my 400 is 55.......see wat i mean lol decent but not good and coach makes me train for all of it, so i have my work cut out for me

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:08 pm

that kinda sucks :(
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

VaulteRachello
PV Nerd

Unread postby VaulteRachello » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:17 pm

Im a cross country runner and pole vaulter too! unfortunately i could never make distance track and pv work, but i wasnt a very good distance runner (it was fun tho:)) so i ended up just vaulting. its definitely a completely different kind of training. if i were you tho, i would just try vaulting and running together, and if it doesnt work, drop whichever you dont like as much!

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:21 pm

very true or just do both speed days and distance days and convert to a middle distance runner
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

RidinHigh
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter/Still Jumping
Lifetime Best: 5.05
Favorite Vaulter: Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby RidinHigh » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:02 pm

Our best female vaulter is a 800, 1600 runner.
Pole Vault Explosion- July 4th, 2009 St. Charles, Missouri
PoleVaultExplosion.com

CB
PV Whiz
Expertise: PV Coach

Unread postby CB » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:34 am

The biggest problem I have during training with distance runners is the lifting of the knees in the approach.

lostbvrunner
PV Wannabe

Unread postby lostbvrunner » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:49 am

Yup I definitely had to learn to sprint before I could get that whole running down the runway thing down. It was weird... running on my toes lol. Deff not used to it.
I had a meet today and I pole vaulted alright for my second meet I guess (cleared 6'0" almost 6'6". Starting height was 5'6") I ran the 2mile (my only race today) really horribly though.

What is the best thing to do at home to improve your vaulting? I really want to get better cause yeah I suck haha. I just don't know what to do besides just working hard in practice.

And is it going to be a significant help to work out with the sprinters one day a week? Cause if it is I am going to ask about it for this week.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”