Street signs!

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Street signs!

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:52 pm

Now you may call me weird or even a little beyond obsessed but did anyone every notice the bridge height sign when your driving on the road. You know, when you are gonna go under a bridge you can see how tall it is. Well i have a really bad habit of checking out these signs and comparing them to my pole vault heights. I try to see if i have cleared the height before or if i know any one that can. Most of the time it turns out to be like "O, look 14'2", MARY SAXER can clear that!" Anybody else got some weird habits like that?????

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:01 pm

I never have. That kind of supprised me when I heard that because I nomally do things like that. I'll prolly start doing that now because your said it.

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:17 pm

HEHEHEHEHE Good! Anyone else have an weird habits like that?

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:05 am

Me and my friends have stolen a couple of those signs...ones that we can clear, and don't worry, they were extra's so no1 would get killed.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

RidinHigh
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter/Still Jumping
Lifetime Best: 5.05
Favorite Vaulter: Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby RidinHigh » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:12 am

I do the exact same thing when I am driving down the road. My friends always seem to think that I am nutts when I compare myself though! Most of my friends usually say no way you can go that high on that little pole. I will argue with them and later on they will come back at me when we pass under a higher bridge and mock me. That usually sucks, but hey it gives me shomething to work towards so the next time they say it I can be like well actually......
Pole Vault Explosion- July 4th, 2009 St. Charles, Missouri
PoleVaultExplosion.com

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:23 am

Hahahaha - my younger brother and I do that ALL the time. :)
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:38 am

I see the sign and imagine a vault of that height in my head as im driving under it. i like to "mentally vault" over power lines and traffic light wires too :D
What have you done today to get better?

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:21 am

Not only do I still look at those signs for myself (I haven't vaulting in 14 years) but I think about my current vaults and were they are. I follow each thought with swing thoughts and advice for our next practice.
My wife thinks i'm nuts.

PCHSpolevaulter16
PV Fan

Unread postby PCHSpolevaulter16 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:48 am

lol i do the same thing when ever we drivew under a street sign, especially on the way to a meet. Hey coach look that one says 15'. you think i will clear that today? and then the coach drops to the floor laughing like crazy lol....but yea i look at the street signs all the time.

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:44 am

lol i said that to my brother going under a bridge. and hes liek ya u can go right splat into the wall and kill urself. haha.
i run, therefore im buff.

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:02 pm

when i see the street signs on overpass most of them are highers then i can jump so i well be like yea i'll clears that one my freshmen year or that one might be by i am junior
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:26 pm

PCHSpolevaulter16 wrote:lol i do the same thing when ever we drivew under a street sign, especially on the way to a meet. Hey coach look that one says 15'. you think i will clear that today? and then the coach drops to the floor laughing like crazy lol....but yea i look at the street signs all the time.

HEHEHEHE YES awesome i am not alone. I do that too! I am like "yeah 11 i got that today" and everyone in the bus starts to laugh. It kinda sucks though, but i will be getting that height soon.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”