Strength and condtioning for the vaulter....

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:03 am

Speaking of creatine, what is it and what does it do? Cause it seems everyone either loves it or hates it. Also what do things like clacium supplaments, glutamine, aminos and all this other stuff do to you?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:39 pm

CHC04Vault wrote:I would dissagree with genetics Becca. You can lift for bulk (Low reps High Weight) in which u will get more mass or u can lift to condition (high reps low weight). True genetics has some to do with it, but with a right routine and the right amount of carbs, fat, and protein you can get stronger and not be a meat head. But to have a good work out, you should do both bulk and toning, at diffrent days of course. Also, stay away from creatine, it dosn't do anything (its not BAD for u), just a really big waste of money when u could spend it on protein or a gym memebership.

But girls don't have the testosterone to bulk up the way guys do.

And I never lift aiming to bulk or to tone. I do Olympic lifts and focus on getting more powerful and explosive.

I am not a twig by any means. I am more muscular than most other girls. But I have always been like this, even when I was a gymnast. If I lifted heavier I would probably get a bit beefier. You will gain muscle and put on some muscle mass.

But you won't turn into a massive beast. If any girl out there is afraid to lift because they are afraid of gaining muscle, they need to rethink their image of what is beautiful and what is important to them.

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:57 pm

PvRowSwim wrote:Speaking of creatine, what is it and what does it do? Cause it seems everyone either loves it or hates it. Also what do things like clacium supplaments, glutamine, aminos and all this other stuff do to you?

Check this out for creatine information. It discusses both the pros and cons of creatine.

http://www.creatinemonohydrate.net/

Calcium is always a good thing to take because most Americans actually dont get enough in their daily diet. Just dont go overboard and think you're going to see alot of results - because its not something you take to get in shape, its just healthy to make sure you get your daily dosage. (I personally have to take it cause I'm lactose intolerant :( )

Lastly - not to took my own horn, but I'm in pretty darn good shape and have a low body fat and am also pretty strong - and I take NO suppliments at all (other than the calcium because of my condition). While they can help (when taken carefully and in moderation) athletes throughout history have been doing well and living long without them and I plan to do the same. Its 10 times better to eat a very healthy well balanced diet than to eat a little less healthy and take lots of supliments - if youre eating a well balanced diet that is catered to your training, you will get all the nutrition you need. (IMO)
Last edited by USMC Vaulter on Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:11 pm

Calcium is especially good for girls to take. Most girls don't get enough!

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:30 pm

I agree with USMC Vaulter you dont need all thoes supplments to perform great there been plenty of athletes that are supers starts that never took supplements
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:10 pm

USMC Vaulter wrote:Lastly - not to took my own horn, but I'm in pretty darn good shape and have a low body fat and am also pretty strong - and I take NO suppliments at all (other than the calcium because of my condition). While they can help (when taken carefully and in moderation) athletes throughout history have been doing well and living long without them and I plan to do the same. Its 10 times better to eat a very healthy well balanced diet than to eat a little less healthy and take lots of supliments - if youre eating a well balanced diet that is catered to your training, you will get all the nutrition you need. (IMO)

I totally agree with you that eating a healthy well balanced diet is better than supplaments. However, most people do not know what a real balanced diet is, they think they do, but most of the facts they know are wrong. Secondly, i find it really hard to eat a well balanced meal in high school and college because im always(and prolly always will be) broke and i will eat w/e is in front of me. Its alot easier to eat healthy when your family does, but seeing most people's families arn't nutriention nuts, i thinl supplament are the best way to go until u can take some courses on Human Antomy and Phyisilogy and Nutrition.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:57 pm

Now by a balanced diet do you mean follow the food triangle? Cause i dont know if thats the best thing to follow religously for an athlete, or maybe it is..... Inform me.

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:46 pm

The food pyramide made by the USDA/FDA is made mostly for seditary people, who take in about 2000 calories a day. Also, the food pryamid does NOT account for vitamins, minerals, omega-3 fatty acids, trans-fats, good and bad cholestarol and other things that account for a good diet for an athlete. A good balanced diet for an athelet is all dependent on WHAT event/sport one does. A distance runner wants a good balance of glucose and carbs (glucose is burnt first because it is a simple sugar and the carbs are stored in the liver and muscle which is a reserve tank) but we usually want a diet higher in glucose.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:30 pm

which would include foods such as...................fruit? I LIKE FRUIT!

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:01 pm

A good thing to do is do some drills. If you can, contact a coach at a college that vaulted before he/she coached. That coach should have some drills that you can do.

Also work on abs. Abs are the key and are the the most used muscle in almost every sport. (except legs)

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:44 pm

Abs yes, I have been informed about this many a time. I even dared to ask what a BUBKA was. I know horrible.I have been dping leglifts though, but since my school district is so dum, one flurry of snow they cancel all practices so i havent gotten into the weight room for like 2 days.

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:46 pm

I know its not under my topic but has anyone heard of SuhrSports and there camps? Any feedback is goood.......

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”